Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 12:01 PM

20 posts, read 99,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
In miles, the distance to things like groceries, etc., is larger than you're used to, but in time, there's not much difference. IIRC, in the 80-90 miles from Lewisburg to Beverly along 219, there's exactly 1 stoplight (in Marlinton). While there aren't major shopping malls, most everything you need for day-to-day living is available locally; you learn to plan ahead for your once every week or two trip to the "big city" (Elkins, Lewisburg, Beckley, Summersville, etc.).

Easier to adjust to will be the friendliness of the people and the lack of 70mph freeways, road rage, or traffic jams. And scenery that's the equal of any place in the U.S., minus the crowds you see in the Smokies or Yellowstone.

If you do drive 219 during the spring, be sure to time your trip so you can have lunch at the Country Roads Cafe in Hillsboro. It's in an early 1900s dry goods store, with the tall ladders along the shelves, and tons of memorabilia on display. The food's not bad, either.

Regards
Snorpus
Thanks for that...I just started planning our road trip using the Rand McNally website. You can plan any road trip and add in stops along the way...it will map it for you. It is great. I used it to help my brother in-law when he moved from Jacksonville, Florida to Teluride, Colorado. I will be sure to add in Hillsboro...we love places like that. We have decided to camp the majority of the way. I think we will start by driving to Bowden and camp at the Cheat River campground...if it is open...we will then make our way back down to Florida. I really appreciate all of the tips...since we have never really travelled WV before, this will help to make it more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 AM

3 posts, read 10,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinTheMountains View Post
This is exactly what won our heart. After internet searching for a month, we decided to take a trip down to Davis. We stayed a week, and visited the surrounding areas, and even went shopping in Elkins. We're definitly going with the area, either as far north as Davis to just outside Elkins, even over near Seneca Rocks was beautiful. Davis has a wonderful natural spring, people just pulled over and filled up their water bottles with fresh water! In NJ, that is unheard of.

We started conversation with some people while we were there, and the sincerity and genuiness of the people is what completely won us. We have 2 small children (21 month old and a 10 month old) and we want to raise our children in that type of environment.

My husband lived in LA County for 4 years before we met. But WV doesn't compare!

I know what you mean. I was born and raised there until my mid/late teens before going to college; and afterwards moved to DC. Don't get me wrong, I love DC because I have so many family members and friends there; the transition was easy. But every chance I got to go home I took it and enjoyed every minute. Now I live in LA, wow...issues like crazy; I can't wait to get back east. LOL!

Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,990 times
I'm from Elkins, but I'm attending college at Marshall U. now in Huntington. It's nice here but I miss Elkins. It's just a homey. Elkins in my opinion just seems a lot nicer than most towns or cities in WV, and the arts in Elkins rivals that of much larger cities and tourists evidently seem to love it. There are plenty of places to shop but its like 45 minutes to the mall.. so ehh that got kind of old.. But I can't wait to go back

Old 01-18-2007, 07:37 AM

Talking Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I'm from Elkins, but I'm attending college at Marshall U. now in Huntington. It's nice here but I miss Elkins. It's just a homey. Elkins in my opinion just seems a lot nicer than most towns or cities in WV, and the arts in Elkins rivals that of much larger cities and tourists evidently seem to love it. There are plenty of places to shop but its like 45 minutes to the mall.. so ehh that got kind of old.. But I can't wait to go back
We are considering moving from Florida...we are living in an area that is growing a little to big for our taste. We were considering North Carolina...then a friend mentioned that they were going skiing over the holidays in West Virginia, so my husband and I both thought...hmmm...that might be neat. So we started researching and are now planning a trip to visit...we have heard a lot about Elkins and other surrounding areas and thought it might be a perfect place to raise a family. We are just concerned about jobs. We are both teachers and are trying to find out information about the availability of teaching postions in Randolph and other sourrounding counties.

Why do you consider Elkins nicer than some of the other towns?

Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 PM

I'm actually going into education myself. There were a few positions available when I graduated in 2005. But based on what my teachers told me they expected there to be a LOT of openings in education. Because 75% of the teachers in Randolph County were 45-60 years old and reaching retirement age. So you may have to sub for a year to get in the system but I wouldn't worry about doing that too long. I just feel like Elkins isn't as well, trashy as some places in WV. Trust me I know there are a lot of nicer places out of state esp. in the west coast and stuff.. But Elkins seems nicer, yes you do have some dingy sections but everywhere seems to have that. There is so much history in Elkins too, and so many rereactional things to do. You can actually go swimming in the river in nearby Bowden, just 10 minutes out of Elkins. It's that clean. Traffic will be nothing compared to what you're used to in Florida. Given Fridays and the rush hours of 8, 3, and 6 are sometimes a hassle but I'm sure it will be much less than in Florida. I really can't get everything I love about home in this message. Its just impossible. I do hope you come for a visit of the area, and be sure to check out downtown esp. There are a lot of cute little shops there.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me

Last edited by GottaHerdOn; 01-18-2007 at 12:44 PM..

Old 01-21-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I'm actually going into education myself. There were a few positions available when I graduated in 2005. But based on what my teachers told me they expected there to be a LOT of openings in education. Because 75% of the teachers in Randolph County were 45-60 years old and reaching retirement age. So you may have to sub for a year to get in the system but I wouldn't worry about doing that too long. I just feel like Elkins isn't as well, trashy as some places in WV. Trust me I know there are a lot of nicer places out of state esp. in the west coast and stuff.. But Elkins seems nicer, yes you do have some dingy sections but everywhere seems to have that. There is so much history in Elkins too, and so many rereactional things to do. You can actually go swimming in the river in nearby Bowden, just 10 minutes out of Elkins. It's that clean. Traffic will be nothing compared to what you're used to in Florida. Given Fridays and the rush hours of 8, 3, and 6 are sometimes a hassle but I'm sure it will be much less than in Florida. I really can't get everything I love about home in this message. Its just impossible. I do hope you come for a visit of the area, and be sure to check out downtown esp. There are a lot of cute little shops there.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me
Thank you for the information...it is good to know that there is hope. We are excited to go up there this spring and check things out. I appreciate all of your help and will certainly contact you as the questions arise. Right now, we have been just checking out property on the internet....just to get an idea of cost etc. Once we go up there, I am sure we will have more questions.

Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:03 PM

113 posts, read 462,016 times
Although I have not been through Elkins since my college days I do remember an area that was alawys great to visit. The geography was beautiful with a rich history, especially of the CIvil War era. I always remember the area around Droop Mountain. At that time, Davis & Elkins was a nice college with a growing population. The people were very friendly. Being a college student in the Athlens area I was always impressed by the friendly people of West Virgiinia. I would imagine the pace is still much slower than many areas from the north. It would be a place worth looking at!
Enjoy your visit?

Dan

Old 03-23-2007, 10:02 PM

Talking Trip to West Virginia

Hi all,
We are on our way home from our trip to West Virginia and I can say that we are even more convinced now that this is where we want to be.

We drove up, mostly expressway, to Bowden... we spent two beautiful snowy winter evenings in one of Revelle's River Resort riverfront cabins with the river roaring by and the stars beautifully lit in the sky...we could not keep our 2 1/2 year old inside...she loves the outdoors...no matter how cold.

We had Sunday Brunch at the Canaan Resort...where the deer were hanging out right outside the window...we met some lovely people from Davis. We learned a lot about different areas of WV from them, as we did from every one we met. What made it so exciting to us is that no matter how much information they had to share, the first thing anyone said was what a great place WV is to raise children. I don't think we met one person that did not say it....by the way the drive from Revelle's to Timberline was incredible...some parts reminded me of Narnia...pure white...unbelievable.

After our 2 nights at Revelle's, we spent 4 nights at Watoga State Park, in one of the modern cabins, as the standard cabins are closed until April, I think. We had a ball.

We spent one day visiting Droop Mountain and Beartown, as well as one day visiting the Cranberry Glades...on the drive back from Beartown, we stopped at the Country Roads Cafe...what a great time we had.

We drove home via 219 and are now stopping in SC for the night. There is so much more, but I don't want to bore anyone, as I tend to go on and on...but I must say that WV is everything you have all said it is and in my eyes even more.

We are keeping our eyes open on different sights looking for teaching positions...hopefully something will happen to help our dream become possible.

Thanks for all of the information that helped to make our trip great.

Kind regards,
Newmommy 40

Old 03-24-2007, 08:23 AM

215 posts, read 1,164,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy40 View Post
Hi all,
We are on our way home from our trip to West Virginia and I can say that we are even more convinced now that this is where we want to be.

We drove up, mostly expressway, to Bowden... we spent two beautiful snowy winter evenings in one of Revelle's River Resort riverfront cabins with the river roaring by and the stars beautifully lit in the sky...we could not keep our 2 1/2 year old inside...she loves the outdoors...no matter how cold.

We had Sunday Brunch at the Canaan Resort...where the deer were hanging out right outside the window...we met some lovely people from Davis. We learned a lot about different areas of WV from them, as we did from every one we met. What made it so exciting to us is that no matter how much information they had to share, the first thing anyone said was what a great place WV is to raise children. I don't think we met one person that did not say it....by the way the drive from Revelle's to Timberline was incredible...some parts reminded me of Narnia...pure white...unbelievable.

After our 2 nights at Revelle's, we spent 4 nights at Watoga State Park, in one of the modern cabins, as the standard cabins are closed until April, I think. We had a ball.

We spent one day visiting Droop Mountain and Beartown, as well as one day visiting the Cranberry Glades...on the drive back from Beartown, we stopped at the Country Roads Cafe...what a great time we had.

We drove home via 219 and are now stopping in SC for the night. There is so much more, but I don't want to bore anyone, as I tend to go on and on...but I must say that WV is everything you have all said it is and in my eyes even more.

We are keeping our eyes open on different sights looking for teaching positions...hopefully something will happen to help our dream become possible.

Thanks for all of the information that helped to make our trip great.

Kind regards,
Newmommy 40
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay! My husband and I just got back from WV about 2 weeks ago, and you are so right about how no one says anything bad or negative about WV. I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old - and my 2 yr old is the same way: he loves the outdoors. It snowed while we were there and it was like a scene out of a movie because it was so beautiful. Peace, tranquility, deer, nature at its most natural!

We stayed at Blackwater Falls State Park in a cabin - very nice. And the people of Davis are very nice and pleasant to talk to. Every person I talked to also said how they love living there.

Yes, I miss it already. The beautiful drive down 32 passing thru Canaan, the steep slopes and wonderful views driving on 72. The deer approaching us on our cabin porch looking for food, the friendly atmosphere at the pizza restaurant in Davis....I could go on and on but I won't bore anyone, lol.

Yes, WV definitly is "Almost Heaven." I call it God's Country.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:30 PM

I'm glad you all enjoyed the area. You need to visit in the summer time too, and enjoy the crisp luke warm evenings. Also you should check out the Mountain State Forest Festival. It's a showcase of the West Virginia Wilderness.. Here is a link to it, check it out see if its something you and your families would be interested in.

http://www.forestfestival.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia