Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:54 PM

4 posts, read 18,191 times

Advertisements

The school system is pretty well equipt to educate children properly. The town is clean, nice folks, flea markets, markets, department stores like Wal mart, K mart, Peebles. Clothing stores. Several food chains to chose from. Too many fast food joints & motels. Building a new music hall. Have decent health care, extending to WVuniversity Hospital in Morgantown. Friendly ppl, good ppl, and of course the same as any where these days drugs, some crime. Typical small town. Weather is cold in winter, less snow than 10 years ago. Nice warm spring, summer, and beautiful fall. Lots of mountains. Ski resorts, and much more. Mountain state forest Festival in early October. Come enjoy the country life. You will not want to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 07:31 PM

66 posts, read 59,297 times
Me and my wife leave next week for lewisburg i am looking for work but we have already decided to move to elkins or right outside it as soon as im done with my school which is only a week long next month back here in georgia...getting my class b cdl...but once were done with that we will be moving up there....the mean time were staying with a friend in lewisburg, yall make it sound so so so nice up there i cant wait..by the time winter comes my daughter will be a year old so itll be nice...

Old 06-19-2007, 12:55 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,647 times
Awww, will it be her first snow? When I was little I loved to go outside and play in the snow, sled riding, snow men, igloos.... It was great

Old 06-20-2007, 10:25 PM

66 posts, read 59,297 times
yeah down here in georgia dont get much snow lol....only a few more days and we will be out of here!! i cant wait...to bad i have to come back to get my schooling done...but its only a week and a half so...i can handle it then its the fun part of finding a job...if anyone knows of any place hiring in the lewisburg and surrounding area please let me know...thanks!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 28,298 times
I have pretty much made up my mind to move to Elkins, it has everything I could want or need. but I am wondering about a couple of things...just to make everything complete. does Elkins have a chinese restraurant? also it there an American legion,moose, or VFW there? If there are these things then Eklins is everything I have ever dreamed of in one town. I think I could be very happy there...thanks for any imput.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:51 PM

To my knowledge Elkins’ has three Chinese restaurants, one near the Tygart Valley Mall called China Max, one on Randolph Ave. by the college called China Garden, and one along the Beverly 5-Lane called Super Buffet. When I was in for Thanksgiving I stopped and ate at Super Buffet, my first time there actually since I just recently started eating Chinese food and it was really good food! There is an American legion on Railroad Avenue and the VFW is near the intersection of Randolph/North Randolph/Harrison/ and Railroad Avenues. I'm not sure about a moose club, but I know we have an Elks club which has a golf course, pool, etc

Old 12-31-2008, 02:52 PM

13 posts, read 28,304 times
Default Elkins Resident

I live in Elkins and work at Davis Memorial hospital.
Elkins is a self suffcient town with mostly good friendly people.
Beautiful senery and outdoor activities abound.
Only shortcoming in my opinion is the nearest major airport is 2.5hr away.
I also have a house for sale if interetsred.
I have attacheded links to Elkins and Randolph County area and a link to my house for sale
Good Luck
Welcome to the Heart of West Virginia
West Virginia Mountain Highlands
Mountain State Forest Festival - Elkins, West Virginia
by owner real estate in WV @ For Sale By Owner.com

Old 01-08-2009, 12:04 AM

12 posts, read 28,298 times
I have decided to move to Elkins, it has everything I want or need in a city. I do however need to know where the nearest VA hospital/clinic. as a veteran and under medical care this is very important to me...any replies would be greatly appreciated...also. I have a daughter living in Canton Ohio. I was trying to tell her how far it was from Elkins. can anyone help me with that..how far from Elkins to Charleston WV or the ohio border off Rt 77 north...thanks again

Last edited by Quaquaa; 01-08-2009 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: remembered something else I wanted to ask.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 AM

????

the nearest VA is in Clarksburg. About 45 minutes north on I-79. I'm not really sure how far Canton, OH is from Elkins... Google Maps says its about 4 hours and 15 minutes. It says the quickest way is to take I-77 to US 250 into Wheeling then take 70 through Washington, PA then I-79 to Morgantown then you take 119 from Morgantown to US 33 into Elkins.. or you could take I-79 to Weston and then get on 33 to Elkins. Elkins is about two hours from Charleston... She really wouldn't need to be on I-77 in WV at all, or go through Charleston for the quickest route, since its south of Elkins by two hours.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Elkins to Charleston WV is about 2 1/2 hours.

Grew up in NE Ohio and used to travel to/from Buckhannon a lot (about 20 min from Elkins - you bypass Buckhannon when going from Elkins to I-79).
From NE Ohio, I would take the Ohio turnpike (I-76, I think) into Pa then hit I-79 (I think it's near Mars exit) to Exit 99 (Weston/Buckhannon exit). Good roads the entire way.

When I moved to Chas and family from NE Ohio came to visit, at first they took I-77 but then started taking I-79. Don't remember why, but we all felt the travel between the 2 towns was easier on I-79.

Another option would be to take I-77 to Parkersburg then cut across Rt. 50 to Clarksburg then hit I-79 (or back road route). Note that Rt. 50 is windy. Akron to Parkersburg to I-79 to Elkins should take about 4 hours.

Once you move into the area you will learn the back roads to take. Instead of having to go through Buckhannon to I-79, coming from Elkins you can turn off Rt. 33 onto the Belington exit (Rt. 250) then I think you hit Rt. 119 then hit I-79 at the Stonewood exit. Have done it going from Canaan to Clarksburg but don't know if it's really any quicker cuz the roads are windy etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia