Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:18 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times

Advertisements

Hello good people,

I am currently in Oklahoma working on a degree in library work. My family and I want VERY MUCH to get out of Oklahoma when I finish up.

We have looked at lots of areas and really long for the general area of Elkins. It seems to have everything we are looking for. I was hoping to hear how people from Elkins or living in ELkins feel about the town and Randolph County in general. We do have three children, so the education system is a factor.

I was raised up north and welcome a relief from the terrible summer heat in Oklahoma and would love to see more snow in the winter. We would also like to live at a higher elevation and in amongst some hills and trees. Oklahoma is dead flat and pretty barren.

I'm sure the folks around Elkins are nice but I wondered if there was a sense that it is growing or has some economic security. From what I read it is a beautiful smaller town but it may see an influx of people due to its beauty and industry.

I appreciate any comments, suggestions, advice, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2006, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 44,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis
Hello good people,

I am currently in Oklahoma working on a degree in library work. My family and I want VERY MUCH to get out of Oklahoma when I finish up.

We have looked at lots of areas and really long for the general area of Elkins. It seems to have everything we are looking for. I was hoping to hear how people from Elkins or living in ELkins feel about the town and Randolph County in general. We do have three children, so the education system is a factor.

I was raised up north and welcome a relief from the terrible summer heat in Oklahoma and would love to see more snow in the winter. We would also like to live at a higher elevation and in amongst some hills and trees. Oklahoma is dead flat and pretty barren.

I'm sure the folks around Elkins are nice but I wondered if there was a sense that it is growing or has some economic security. From what I read it is a beautiful smaller town but it may see an influx of people due to its beauty and industry.

I appreciate any comments, suggestions, advice, etc.

Thanks!
I live in Elkins, and I am sorry to say you will not get away from the heat.

I must say if you do move here, look for a home on the outskirts of town. I live on the outskirts of Elkins in a very nice neighborhood, with really great neighbors.

I can give you some web sites to visit if you like, just let me know.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,248 times
Smile an Elkins neighbor

I live about an hours drive from Elkins and have traveled there for Dr. appointments for about 35 years. I also worked at Snowshoe Ski Resort. The area is lovely and the people are wonderful. Many shopping opportunities and beautiful scenery. If you choose to make this move, I hope you'll become a Mountaineer and be glad you came.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,455 times
Default Relocating to Elkins

I also would like to say hello to all of you great folks in Elkins. My husband and I, too, are looking to relocate back to Wonderful West Virginia (from Florida) this year. Elkins has always been my favorite location in the state and we are getting very excited about making a trip this summer to do some house-hunting. I'm looking forward to reading more replies on this thread!

Old 04-14-2006, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,243 times
Default Philippi

I don't live in Elkins, but what I've seen, I like. I live in nearby Philippi.

Elkins is indeed a little cooler than you're used to. It's higher elevation tends to drop the temperature about 3 degrees over other locations only 30 miles away (Bridgeport, Clarksburg, etc.). Summers can be warm, but surely nothing like what you have in OK. There are trees/shade everywhere and an almost constant breeze. You don't need A/C except maybe 4-8 days of the summer and that's only due to the humidity.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,242 times
Well, I think you would like Elkins. Both from OK and Florida. Good health care in the area. Plenty of outdoors activities and cooler than you are used to. Beautiful area. I grew up in WV and like it very much. Now I live an hour from Elkins in the mountains of Pendleton County. I do believe that there is enough snow in the winter for everyone. The weather is fairly moderate, usually not too extreme, but with climate these days, who knows what the future holds. And you are only 40 minutes or so from skiing at Canaan Valley or Timberline. Plus an hour from Snowshoe. Good luck on your move.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 23,386 times
Contact me at chelmeg27@yahoo.com I lived near Elkins and my girlfriend and her mom work they. They could probably provide you a good bit of info.

Richard

Old 12-16-2006, 04:55 AM

3 posts, read 10,804 times
Griffis, to put it mildly...I think you'll really enjoy Elkins; as much as I did growing up there. I left the state back in the early 80's and I now live in LA; hugh difference. When I call and talk with family and friends back home they always have some interesting information and stories. But there is one thing for certain, you may not get snow for Christmas, but you will get some.

The things I miss the most besides my family and friends that are still there, are the people in general. Living in LA around so many fake people and fake smiles, it really changes you and causes you to appreciate the little things in life. It's so strange, when I hear someone say thank you, excuse me, may I....little things, it takes me back to what I was raised around and wish my children could be exposed to the same everyday; because I don't hear those things very often and sadly enough; it's becoming a way of life.

Elkins is small in size, but large in some many other areas. Take it from someone who grew up there and has been too and lived in some of the largest cities in the US....Elkins, there's nothing like home. I was chatting online with an ol friend of mine recently and while talking with I found myself day dreaming about home....I'm planning to go back during late spring/summer timeframe and I can't wait. So go, you'll love it and the people will naturally win your heart.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:05 PM

20 posts, read 99,503 times
Smile Teaching in Elkins or surrounding counties?

My husband and I have been checking out information about Elkins. It seems like a great place to raise a family. We are both school teachers (Florida) and are curious about the schools in and around Elkins. I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that there may not be many postions available...since Elkins seems to be fairly small. Does anyone have any information about teaching in Elkins or the state of West Virginia? We are interested in fairly small towns with seasonal changes in weather...prefer snow in the winters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:09 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
I'd be interested in hearing about the school systems in Elkins as my wife is a teacher as well (and I work for our school system as well).... Looking to escape Florida myself....

We drove the area over Christmas break and there was a nice little town just down from Elkins called Beverly (I think).... Cute town. I'd love it there I think if the schools aren't horrible..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia