U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 AM

42 posts, read 67,284 times

Advertisements

Appalachia: America's Low-Energy Zone

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- About one in three residents living in the Huntington-Ashland, W.Va.-Ky.-Ohio metropolitan area (32.1%) say they have been diagnosed with depression by a doctor or nurse -- the highest percentage among the 188 U.S. metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) that Gallup and Healthways surveyed in 2010.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:51 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,199,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby00 View Post
Appalachia: America's Low-Energy Zone

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- About one in three residents living in the Huntington-Ashland, W.Va.-Ky.-Ohio metropolitan area (32.1%) say they have been diagnosed with depression by a doctor or nurse -- the highest percentage among the 188 U.S. metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) that Gallup and Healthways surveyed in 2010.
That doesn't surprise me.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:36 AM

1,946 posts, read 3,771,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
That doesn't surprise me.
Me either. Hopefully these people can get some help.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,849,503 times
We all spent some time in that area, and I know we can all empathize with some of the problems they face there. I think they also effect other areas of their lives, like diet and weight for example. Those things are all interconnected. When people are hurting in one part of their lives, it often leads to damage in other parts as well. And, it's not as though there aren't other places experiencing some of those same issues in today's chaotic economic situation. It's just particularly acute there.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:19 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,423,572 times
Does somewhat surprise me - not that there is a good deal of depression, but that it is number one. Wonder what effect the total failure of the MU Thundering Herd athletic programs is having? Probably very little - but it sure ain't helping - shoulda stayed in the MAC.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 PM

4,663 posts, read 8,099,836 times
One must consider that once again, this is for the MSA and not the city of Huntington itself. When you look at some of the doctors being busted over in Ohio, KY and in Wayne County, not really a surprise that people are having things over-prescribed.

Laugh and point fingers all you want but also consider that unfortunately, this is representative of WV itself. Huntington and Charleston are the only 2 MSAs large enough to even matter in this and they are the most populous areas of the state. For all of those places not big enough to even be counted in this, the problem is likely just as bad if not worse as more rural areas tend to see more of these problems.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
One must consider that once again, this is for the MSA and not the city of Huntington itself. When you look at some of the doctors being busted over in Ohio, KY and in Wayne County, not really a surprise that people are having things over-prescribed.

Laugh and point fingers all you want but also consider that unfortunately, this is representative of WV itself. Huntington and Charleston are the only 2 MSAs large enough to even matter in this and they are the most populous areas of the state. For all of those places not big enough to even be counted in this, the problem is likely just as bad if not worse as more rural areas tend to see more of these problems.
Actually the other MSA's werent counted in because they dont have the same problems the Ohio river valley does.

For instance. Morgantown is constantly getting articles written about its high quality of life and good job market. This unbearable depression that hangs over Huntington and Charleston just doesnt effect us like it does in your area.

Nobody is laughing and pointing fingers. The downfall of South central WV is tragic. I only hope that one day things improve for you guys.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 PM

15,941 posts, read 18,803,739 times
I swear they should look at Indian reservation issues and Appalachia in the same light, because they have similar issues. When I got to Montana I was tasked with Native economic affairs and they are eerily similar to my home. High unemployment, drug abuse, low educational attainment, depression, cyclical family issues.. It's really scary.

You have to have a community effort to break this chain, regardless of family influence. That's the only way. Get back to self determination and grit, not dependance on gov't checks or industry punch-clock jobs.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I swear they should look at Indian reservation issues and Appalachia in the same light, because they have similar issues. When I got to Montana I was tasked with Native economic affairs and they are eerily similar to my home. High unemployment, drug abuse, low educational attainment, depression, cyclical family issues.. It's really scary.

You have to have a community effort to break this chain, regardless of family influence. That's the only way. Get back to self determination and grit, not dependance on gov't checks or industry punch-clock jobs.
You are absolutely right. More than you think. The Ohio River valley is the Charleston-Huntington area. Charleston's economy is completely reliant on the state government and without taxation they would be a small town. The worst part is they dont invest in other parts of the state outside of the Ohio River Valley.

Huntington is similar and, is pretty reliant on Charleston to get by.

Morgantown and the Eastern panhandle are the exception to the rule. The state has ignored us for decades so Morgantown has created a vibrant economy on its own. It now has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country and the best economic growth rates. This depression and drug abuse that afflicts Charleston and Huntington doesnt exist here.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,849,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post

Tim, as far as I can tell absolutely nobody is laughing or pointing fingers. What is bad for one place is bad for every place. The plight of our heavy industry areas has left lasting scars on many people, including in my hometown of Wheeling which is only now starting to recover from the loss of 10,000 manufacturing jobs in the early 1980s. Our national economy is a shambles, and they have sent many of our best jobs to cheap labor countries. It's a pretty tough pill for folks to swallow.

This problem also has nothing to do with the largely arbitrary MSA designations. As you know Huntington and Cabell are really no bigger than Monongalia, which is located just 5 miles from the Pittsburgh metro area, 15 minutes from the Clarksburg metro area, and is itself a metro area. I can be in three different MSAs in 20 minutes. Since the Charleston are is located entirely within state boundaries, it is the largest population wise in that regard but that doesn't mean much. They are losing population and jobs too. We are very fortunate in North Central (and we count our blessings... not point fingers), and if the state would only do its part for our infrastructure we could do our part to help the whole rest of the state recover. It is unfortunate that the Kanawha folks seem to see our prosperity and growth as a threat rather than an opportunity, but it is also not surprising considering most of them have a livetime of experience in the old Scots Irish clan tradition of everyone for himself, and distrust of anyone else. It has held our state back for 150 + years.

I think I'm a little older than you, so I remember a prosperous Wheeling, Parkersburg, and Huntington. I even remember a prosperous Charleston. I can honestly say I never cared much for Charleston, but I loved the Wheeling and Huntington of old. There is something special about Ohio River communities. Hopefully we can get some populists in government who will take the steps necessary to return industry to our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia