U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2011, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Elkins, WV
1,981 posts, read 5,904,876 times
Reputation: 827

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Someone must have forgotten to tell Health Grades and Carechex, who actually rank such things using outcomes and patient satisfaction rather than subjective preference.

Hospitals in West Virginia (WV) - Hospital Ratings, Cost, Length of Stay, Affiliated Physicians, More...

Terms and Conditions
Gotta admit... after I delved through the rankings for a while.. I was impressed with Elkins' Davis Memorial ranking of 15 out of 60 hospitals in the state.

and hey... we're still beating St. Joes in Buckhannon... haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 AM
 
10,147 posts, read 14,727,478 times
Reputation: 1782
They're all subjective. Which patients did they ask? Truth is, the records of all hospitals are suspect. The bottom line is what counts with all of them, which is one reason our healthcare costs have gone through the roof. Charging $25 to administer an aspirin is rediculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,869 posts, read 8,690,285 times
Reputation: 912
Actually, it's not very subjective at all. It isn't based only on pt satisfaction but rather multiple data sources including outcomes, mortality, complications, etc which are very measurable and not subjective at all. Says a lot about the quality of healthcare in Huntington that the #1 hospital on both lists was from here and both hospitals were in the top 4 or 6 on each list.

CareChex¬ģ Hospital Quality Scoring and Rating Methods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM
 
10,147 posts, read 14,727,478 times
Reputation: 1782
I realize that those particular ratings make some of Huntington's hospitals look like world beaters, but all of us have seen similar ratings prepared by other so-called rating organizations that show similar results for other hospitals. In fact, just about every hospital claims to have top 10 rankings one way or another. I'm not questioning what you're saying... just pointing out that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Here are some other points of view...

US News says the best overall hospitals in the State of West Virginia are located in Morgantown and Charleston...

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospit...WV&distance=25

There are as many opinions as there are rating organizations...

http://www.consumerhealthratings.com...bCats&cat_id=9

While it's nice for your favorite hospital to be ranked by somebody, in general I think it is a good idea to avoid all of them. You're almost as likely to come out of one sicker than you went in as you are to be cured.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-17-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,869 posts, read 8,690,285 times
Reputation: 912
I never said that the hospitals in Huntington were world beaters, just that 2 organizations that specialize in Healthcare ratings rated them highly based on quality of service considering multiple factors. And although there are many organizations that will compare services at different hospitals, there are few that actually gather the data and rank them. Healthgrades and Carechex are two of the more prominent ones.

The irony of your post is that you said that the rankings I posted weren't accurate because you assumed that they were based solely on pt satisfaction, even though they weren't. The ratings I posted were from groups that solely do hospital rankings and they base it on measurable outcomes as well. Did you notice that the US News post was based solely on pt satisfaction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 03:41 PM
 
10,147 posts, read 14,727,478 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I never said that the hospitals in Huntington were world beaters, just that 2 organizations that specialize in Healthcare ratings rated them highly based on quality of service considering multiple factors. And although there are many organizations that will compare services at different hospitals, there are few that actually gather the data and rank them. Healthgrades and Carechex are two of the more prominent ones.

The irony of your post is that you said that the rankings I posted weren't accurate because you assumed that they were based solely on pt satisfaction, even though they weren't. The ratings I posted were from groups that solely do hospital rankings and they base it on measurable outcomes as well. Did you notice that the US News post was based solely on pt satisfaction?
Tim, I didn't say your posts weren't accurate. I said all such postings are subjective. They'd be just as subjective is they said every hospital around here were the best. I think they are based on whether or not they like the dinner bought for them by the hospital administrators. But, I'm sure your posts are as accurate as any of the rest of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 PM
 
6,347 posts, read 9,691,488 times
Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I realize that those particular ratings make some of Huntington's hospitals look like world beaters, but all of us have seen similar ratings prepared by other so-called rating organizations that show similar results for other hospitals. In fact, just about every hospital claims to have top 10 rankings one way or another. I'm not questioning what you're saying... just pointing out that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Here are some other points of view...

US News says the best overall hospitals in the State of West Virginia are located in Morgantown and Charleston...

Hospitals in West Virginia - US News Best Hospitals

There are as many opinions as there are rating organizations...

Consumer Health Ratings - Hospital Quality Ratings & "Best Hospital" Lists - free

While it's nice for your favorite hospital to be ranked by somebody, in general I think it is a good idea to avoid all of them. You're almost as likely to come out of one sicker than you went in as you are to be cured.
Just because a few people submitted rankings to those ratings websites who are notorious for ranking hospitals good for a small fee, doesnt make it true. Come back with some real sources. For instance Morgantown is rated as one of the best places in America by Forbes, not some small website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,869 posts, read 8,690,285 times
Reputation: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Just because a few people submitted rankings to those ratings websites who are notorious for ranking hospitals good for a small fee, doesnt make it true. Come back with some real sources. For instance Morgantown is rated as one of the best places in America by Forbes, not some small website.
If you think Health Grades or Carechex aren't real sources to compare hospital quality and services, you truly are clueless. If it was simply about paying people off for a good score, WVU hospital would have likely been a little higher than the #36 best hospital in WV ranking that they received.

I work in the healthcare industry. What sector is it that you work in again? Was it accounting or something like that? But yet you are the healthcare expert and know more than Health Grades and Carechex, huh?

And the Forbes rating was for the best places for business (small metros in your case), not overall cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 06:19 AM
 
6,347 posts, read 9,691,488 times
Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
If you think Health Grades or Carechex aren't real sources to compare hospital quality and services, you truly are clueless. If it was simply about paying people off for a good score, WVU hospital would have likely been a little higher than the #36 best hospital in WV ranking that they received.

I work in the healthcare industry. What sector is it that you work in again? Was it accounting or something like that? But yet you are the healthcare expert and know more than Health Grades and Carechex, huh?

And the Forbes rating was for the best places for business (small metros in your case), not overall cities.
Morganrown is knowm for the best quality of life and best economy in wv. Also it has the best healthcare system in wv between ruby, mon, and the university hospital. Customer satisfaction is not a good indicator of quality of care given.

I work in accounting but have worked with the university hospital and medexpress in the past$ my knowledge is not based on opinion and yelp wannabe websites but actual conversations with doxtors, patients (often from around huntington and charleston), and administrators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
389 posts, read 781,884 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Morganrown is knowm for the best quality of life and best economy in wv. Also it has the best healthcare system in wv between ruby, mon, and the university hospital. Customer satisfaction is not a good indicator of quality of care given.

I work in accounting but have worked with the university hospital and medexpress in the past$ my knowledge is not based on opinion and yelp wannabe websites but actual conversations with doxtors, patients (often from around huntington and charleston), and administrators.
Ruby is WVU Hospital. I've heard really impressive things about Mon General. I'd say the best hospital in the state would be between CAMC and Ruby Memorial. I'm sure Huntington's biggest hospitals are up there too. Everybody promotes their hometown but some of the people on this forum (more than one, not directed at anybody specifically) need to give it a rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top