Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I need to stop encouraging myself?

I think you need to get your facts straight before you go and accuse other people having bad facts.
Unless you have two screen names with the other being silkdashocker, I was not speaking to you in the last sentence of my post.

And for you to talk about getting facts straight is comical. Where is the largest mall in the state? Have you looked at the numbers by county from the economic census? Where is the largest art museum in the state? Look at calendars from other WV cities that provide university events as well as their own events. Do a little research, it might actually help you on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Definitely the most happening. You won't see the type of youth and vibrancy you see here anywhere else in such an old state. As far as shopping in West Virginia itself, Morgantown has basically whatever you need these days, but it's a fact that Charleston has better shopping. They have the same strip mall stores that we do, plus a three-story mall that offers a lot more than ours. Our easy access to shopping in Pittsburgh is a plus here that the people in Charleston don't have though. From the outlets forty five minutes away in Washington to The Mall at Robinson/Robinson Town Center, Ross Park Mall, etc. about an hour and a half away we're only a hop, skip, and a jump from upscale shopping when that's what you're looking for. To be honest, the people in Weirton have it the best as far as amenities go (no, I'm not joking). They have a couple small shopping centers in town, they're 10 minutes from Post-Gazette Pavilion (concerts), 25 minutes from Pittsburgh International, and half an hour from the Robinson shopping monstrosity. They have the best proximity to stuff like that, it just all happens to be in a different state. The EP is near nice shopping and things of that nature, but it's a bit of a drive. As far as dining options, I'd say Morgantown is at the top, no question, although Charleston has some great options like Tidewater Grill. You just can't compete with a college town in that department unless you're dealing with a city and we don't have those in West Virginia.
Remember how in the larger cities, every nook and cranny has a Chinese restaurant? We have a few of those here, but what amazes me is it seems there is a Mexican restaurant in every neighborhood.

They do have that three story downtown mall in Charleston and it very nearly died, but it seems it is making a comeback of sorts. I was there a few months ago, and it wasn't busy but it did show some signs of life. I think what many folks miss is that on average our population in Morgantown is younger than other places, so the demand is for a different sort of shop.
There aren't as many dress shops catering to middle aged women, for example. We just don't need them. And, with Washington, Uniontown, Fairmont, and Clarksburg/Bridgeport in relative proximity some niche markets are found elsewhere with the more exotic stuff being in the 'Burgh area.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 PM

40 posts, read 81,708 times
Hey! Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! We are thinking Morgantown too. The hard part there is deciding on which middle schools to choose from I (know it depends on where you live). Does anyone have any scoop on Morgantown schools to possibly avoid??? We have two young daughters that we'd like to see get off to a good, safe start at their new school!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:24 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
My kids are all grown (well my youngest son is technically grown but...).

Morgantown is home to the state's premier, doctoral level university. It attracts students from all over the country and all over the world. I have heard (although I haven't checked this out myself) that one of the elementary schools here has training in several languages including Mandarin Chinese. You might call the Monongalia County Board of Education and ask about that.

Our residents are the best educated in the state, and we have the youngest average age here. Everybody looks for different things in a place to live. For me, it is the wonderful activities available here including arts and athletics, and the ready availability of awesome outdoor venues. This is a great place to live... certainly it is for somebody like me. It is also growing and diverse enough that you can pick out a neighborhood to meet your specific needs.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:37 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susannerk View Post
Hey! Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! We are thinking Morgantown too. The hard part there is deciding on which middle schools to choose from I (know it depends on where you live). Does anyone have any scoop on Morgantown schools to possibly avoid??? We have two young daughters that we'd like to see get off to a good, safe start at their new school!!!
Morgantown actually has the top performing schools in the states, especially its High Schools. Consistently they score the highest. I think Charleston is next.

Best middle School in Morgantown was Cheat Lake last time I checked.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:39 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
I've heard that Suncrest Middle is really good too. But I'm not from here so...

Old 09-11-2011, 06:28 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
I would try to stay as close to my work as possible. I'm not sure if you are used to driving in the snow (I hate it!), but some of those hilly, twisty roads are pretty bad in the winter.

If working in the Clarksburg area, Bridgeport is the choice for many newcomers and professionals. Most of the houses in Bridgeport were built in the 1960's-1970's. The newer houses are on the fringes of Bridgeport. Western Taylor County has some good housing choices as well.

Also the new hospital just relocated to Bridgeport. The schools are good in Bridgeport too. The Bridgeport library is awesome!

I like the Bridgeport area because you get a bigger house for your money and be in Morgantown in less than 30 minutes. As much as I like Morgantown, the traffic there makes me gumpy! I also feel like an old dude (I'm just 30) when I see all the 18-22 year olds zooming around town.

White Hall is a suburban area outside of Fairmont and is a little closer to the offerings in Morgantown. It's smaller than Bridgeport, but it is a growing community.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 PM

40 posts, read 81,708 times
Question Thanks everyone...now where are most of the FBI families living???

Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback! Now we are looking at both Bridgeport, WV and Morgantown, WV. We think our daughters would blend into a school where there are other 'transplants' like ourselves. Specifically, we will be FBI employed and know that many FBI families have relocated to the area in recent years. I'm just wondering where the bulk of these folks tend to settle. I'm surmising it would be the Bridgeport/ Clarksburg area. We see lots of homes in the Crystal Ridge development that are for sale.....anymore opinions or thoughts you could share with me??? Thanks again!!!

Susanne

Old 09-13-2011, 05:50 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
The FBI families actually scattered throughout north-central West Va. and even southwestern PA, which is a short distance away. But most of them settled in the Bridgeport area. Bridgeport is actually a nice little suburb and quite a few people commute to Morgantown from there.

Crystal Ridge is off Route 50 just outside the Bridgeport city limits. That subdivision had some issues in 2008: Clarksburg Exponent Telegram Online (http://www.cpubco.com/articles/2008/04/05/news/04.txt - broken link)

The Morgantown area has more options and the housing stock is newer.

White Hall is another area that may be worth a look. It is right off I-79 and about seven miles from the FBI exit and 20 miles from Morgantown. It's a lot smaller than Bridgeport but the town is growing at a steady pace.

Pleasant Valley and Kingmont are also in the same vicinity and are pleasant communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia