Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is WV Southern?
Yes 91 63.64%
No 52 36.36%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:43 AM

99 posts, read 254,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Weak response. No southern state is 95% white. The south is DEFINED by its race relations.
That's one of many things the South is defined by.

However, I don't think WV's northern panhandle is southern at all. Though I haven't been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 AM

232 posts, read 151,929 times
YES! I have in laws in WV and its very southern...I love the state personally...very rural and country its a great place.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Because it doesn't fit the typical pattern of a southern state. It is disqualified on the basis of:

a. It fought for the north in the civil war.
b. It is only 3% black.
West Virginia is the only Southern state that is primarily located in the mountains or in the nearby hilly plateaus. Other states have parts of their territory in the mountains such as western North Carolina, northern Georgia or eastern Tennessee. And you would find those areas to be traditionally mostly white like West Virginia.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissent View Post
YES! I have in laws in WV and its very southern...I love the state personally...very rural and country its a great place.
I can easily see why many people who love the mountains, forests and open space and who don't want to live in a city or near one, would love West Virginia.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:54 AM

14 posts, read 19,922 times
Unless being a former slave state is a core part of what makes an area southern, yes it is. Same culture as the rest of the Appalachians and same migration patterns, settled by basically the same stock. Southeastern Ohio, southern Indiana and Illinois are even southern to an extent. Of course though the border states and Appalachia aren't culturally the same as the deep south. So West Virginia is southern in a general sense, yes.

In saying that, the panhandle attracted more industrial era European immigrants and is generally a bit more like the Rust Belt.

Last edited by Sancho Romney; 01-13-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 07:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Weak response. No southern state is 95% white. The south is DEFINED by its race relations.
What a ridiculous statement. So you're saying any part of the South that doesn't have significant numbers of blacks isn't Southern. Tell Dolly Parton the Great Smokies aren't Southern because they aren't very black.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
its the twilight zone

Old 10-24-2013, 09:57 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I associate West Va with a history of strong labor unionism. The South by contrast, was opposed to labor unions. Also, many of the West Va coal miners were Italians - not only in the north-central area, but even in the far south of West Va, like singer Kathy Mattea (this is shown in the movie "Matewan"). In this respect, it's like the North. It's also hard to imagine a southern state electing someone like West Va's late Democratic Senator Robert Byrd.
I agree, West Virginia is politically more liberal than the rest of the modern South. There is no death penalty here and there is not actual ban on gay marriage. The unions are actually still very powerful, and our taxes are very high compared to most southern states, including the 12th highest gas tax. Here in Charleston the city is run by liberals and RINOs - there are ridiculous city gun laws that thankfully the state overturned and a work tax for people who work in the city but commute from the suburbs. Our governor and our Senators are all big fans of Obama and are enthusiastic about Obamacare. Governor Tomblin even raised the Medicaid level in anticipation of obamacare.

However the OLD South would have elected Robert Byrd. He was a Klansman, after all. The new South is electing people like Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, and Allen West.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:44 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I agree, West Virginia is politically more liberal than the rest of the modern South. There is no death penalty here and there is not actual ban on gay marriage. The unions are actually still very powerful, and our taxes are very high compared to most southern states, including the 12th highest gas tax. Here in Charleston the city is run by liberals and RINOs - there are ridiculous city gun laws that thankfully the state overturned and a work tax for people who work in the city but commute from the suburbs. Our governor and our Senators are all big fans of Obama and are enthusiastic about Obamacare. Governor Tomblin even raised the Medicaid level in anticipation of obamacare.
West Virginia is the most socially conservative state in the Union.

Ranking states by the liberalism/conservatism of their voters « Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science

West Virginia was also the only state in which Barack Obama failed to win a single county during the Democratic primary. Obama did so poorly in West Virginia that a felon beat him 10 counties there.

Felon beats Obama in ten West Virginia counties - POLITICO.com

In 2012, Obama lost every single WV county.

2012 Election Results Map by State - Live Voting Updates - POLITICO.com

So while WV may be in pro-union, etc. due to a strong history of coal mining, it's hardly liberal on social issues.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:21 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Banjo, West Virginia leans conservative on social issues (though there is no death penalty and no gay marriage ban) I dontI would say that its fiscally liberal. The high taxes and the Obamacare support, and the Medicaid expansion are liberal things. I don't think WV is more socially conservative than Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, or Utah. Obama also lost every single county in Utah and Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia