Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 10,746 times

Advertisements

I had to register for this one after reading multiple ranting posts. I have lived in the Berkely/Jefferson area for almost 17 years. I use to live off Warm Springs Ave and rt11 for 6 years. Not 1 single break-in, fight, drug bust, murder, grand theft...etc.....I admit, I moved to Jeffferson. It eliminated approx 30 minutes off my morning drive to work. Georgia talks about Martinsburg like it's hades. I even am starting to hate the place after your constant ranting of how bad the place is. then to post that it isn't that bad. The Clubs and Diners you went to must have been dumps, every city has their own. You were just hanging out in the wrong parts. Birds of a feather......I guess.
I had absolutely no problems finding a nice quiet outing with the wife, even within the city limits. You don't live in Martinsburg anymore, for over a decade from what your previous posts relate, but you keep up to date on things so well. From your posts, you have a political grudge against that commision. I grew up in a county where the sheriff owned and ran everything. I know what it's about to have son step up to the batters plate. Are you saying the voting for politcal offices are rigged? Please show your proof. We could have the FBI, DEA, and the Atty Gen prep a political ring bust. Drug bust happen everywhere across the great fruited plains and most localities are left in the blind about them anyway, until they are over. Why didn't anyone frisk the father of the 2 boys that got shot? It happens no where else huh? Wrong! It happens alot. The incident just happened to be local, so we will bash about the crime here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,746 times
BTW, Dog tax is optional. It is only if you plan on carrying life insurance on the animal. So I was told at the tax office after consulting my Atty, wanting to refuse to pay them. They are also optional in Jefferson. Anything that boost property value is taxed. Permanent landscaping is no exception. Most city jurisdictions are like that. How about replacing a broken window? The new window must be of the same size or a permit is required and inspections are performed. Which brings me to another...............
Berkely Co has no inspection process for H.O.s? Another misleading statement. Inspections not only protect the H.O., but also increase property value. Some states don't require inspections, but WV is a "Dillon-Rule" state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Forrest_Dillon

Most inspectors are smart enough to go where the money is. East! Inspectors who work in this area are content with making 30 to 50K.The person who said the inspector didn't show up until the house was being built. The process is a simple one. There ARE multiple inspections made on a home, DURING THE CONSTRUCTION PROCESS. If you stayed with your home day in and day out, you would have known that, but 99% of us work for a living and cannot witness the process. How do I know? glad you asked. I am an inspector, although I live close enough to Va to work there. I do not inspect in this area due to lackluster of pay. I am worth more than that.
4 Master Electrical Licenses in 3 states.
National Certification Program for Construction Code Inspectors (NCPCCI) 1 +2
National Certification Program for Construction Code Inspectors (NCPCCI) General
International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI) 1+2
International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI) General

Visit the appropriate gov websites and you will find the laws to performing work within the state. Bulding, HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical...etc MUST have a license to work within the state.

I am not going to quote who said what, those people who reread will know to whom I am referring to. :P

Punchout process for new construction is usually done in a 6mo/9mo/12mo process. This is for settling of new homes on their foundations. The "BRYAN" builder you went with and the struggle you went through, my sympathy for you. You should have researched their track record better. There are websites for that too.

I live in the Kearneysville area. 82K for my house in 2000, remodeled to my liking, value 370K, same sq footage. I would like to know what dump of bars you have been too? Would it be the ONE strip club? Did you have a bad experience inside there, that usually happens when you can't control your manly functions. Too bad Kearneysville only has 1 traffic light. Don't blink an eye, you might miss it. The construction is to the east and west of here. 10 minutes to CharlesTown 10 minutes to Harpers Ferry, and 15 minutes to Martinsburg. Easy access to 81/340/70/270/rt9/rt7/rt11.

I live outside of town, but not because I didn't like it, as I said earlier, in not so many words. You are not going to retire on a "Wallyworld" or restaurant income. I also agree with a previous post about being in the "slums" at night. Would you travel into the poorest part of NYC at night to look for a place to eat? Some of it is common sense.

I have 3 daughters that are safe and sound. They do very well in their schooling and have received multiple top honors acheivement awards from the Commonwealth of WV.

Georgia, please stop misleading/bashing the area in such bad taste, unless you are going to use it in your political campaign to take office in Martinsburg. Every place I have been to has its ups and downs. It saddens me that as much as you slander this place, that more of the people looking to settle near here don't doubt you.

The complaints I have about here is the traffic and taxes. The state and counties didn't take quicker action to accomodate the growth potential, especially being a neighbor of one of the fastest growing county in the nation.
Taxes, but who doesn't complain. The neighboring states counties taxes are much higher, so in reality, it is still cheaper to live here. I can live with that.

http://www.housingbubblebust.com/Pop...0Counties.html

For those looking, check the link below. It is the FBI's most current Crime Rate Chart for Cities in WV. Congratulations on what ever your choice may be.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_08_wv.html (broken link)

Old 11-22-2006, 05:38 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
This summer Berkely co hit 100,000 people, INSIDE the city limits of Martinsburg it's a crowed 30,000 people. Berkely Co school age children [not including home school] hit 16,000 + this Sept. Martinsburg High has several double wide mobile homes around it for class rooms [in a town/ county that will not let people have a mobile to live in] My son graduated Martinsburg High 1993 with straight A's, went to James Rumsey, repair computers. But do to lack of computer job here he has been working fast food. Went back to Shepherd college last year became A+ certified, for the past year he has been unemployed, can not work fast food because he is OVER Qulified & they can pay the high school kids min wage $5.15 per hour. While the parents commute thier kids run wild. the Mall has become the babysitter. Any one wanting to move into this on any area should subscribe to the local paper. The Journal is on the net for free.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:49 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Dog tags Are to be on the dog at all times unless you have $50 to rescue it from death at the pound, the cost of tags inside Martinsburg City limits $6 in Berkely Co $3. 5 dogs Even IF MIX and spay/ neutered is a kennel needs business licence in co, city no more than 2 dogs are allowed. Leash law in city & you must clean up after them or face fines.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:49 AM

41 posts, read 165,613 times
Default 'Taint no paradise

What a funky rant.

In response to the "BRYAN" builder, did what research we could BEFOREHAND. Since when has prior research ALWAYS worked in one's favor, revealed each and everything there is to reveal?

Nope, didn't sit right there on the floor during the entire construction process. Didn't have to. The inspector (the ONE who showed up when he did)-- let's see...BRYAN left out a major plumbing component in the home (one that unfortuneately could NOT be discovered until later after papers were signed, after possession). BRYAN made upteen mistakes on neighbor's homes, jack hammering their basement (wonderful zig zag lines throughout the basement for them to enjoy later). BRYAN "forgot" to put in an air vent in all furnace rooms (apparently the inspector informed them they needed to do this months after we all had moved into our homes).

Tell me, what does your comment have to do with the inspector showing up AFTER the fact?

Oh, I could go on and on but what for?

BRYAN sucks. The Mburg inspection dept. suck(s)(ed). Waving a pro West Virginny sign doesn't suddenly make the run-down awful place any better. It is what it is. Backwards. Country. Redneck. Disgusting.

Pro-Martinsburg rants won't change that.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,004 times
Hi my 23 yr old daughter will be moving to the Reserve at Berkeley in Aug . Does anyone know anything about the complex ?The photos look like a good area . Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Eileen

Old 05-17-2016, 09:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen62 View Post
Hi my 23 yr old daughter will be moving to the Reserve at Berkeley in Aug . Does anyone know anything about the complex ?The photos look like a good area . Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Eileen
The Reserve at Berkeley seems like a nice complex. I know someone who lives there and have not heard anything negative about it. It is right next to I-81, so highway noise will be unavoidable especially during peak hours. If that is not an issue, I'm certain she will like it. The benefit to this is the easy on/off access to the Interstate via exit 16. It's also close to grocery stores and multiple restaurants (both chain and locally owned). If she likes Italian food, I recommend La Trattoria on Edwin Miller Blvd. It is family-owned and a local favorite, along with King's Pizza (multiple locations). La Trattoria is probably only a mile and a half from The Reserve.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions about the area let me know! -mmccul

Old 05-17-2016, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 10,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen62 View Post

Thanks Eileen
Hi Eileen,

I currently live at the Reserves at Berkeley, moved in November of last year.

The complex in and of itself is nice, they're still working on completing some construction of the townhomes and other general things like landscaping, etc. I have a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment, they're pretty large at 1,049 square feet. The pictures, for the most part, do the complex and the apartment justice.

That being said, my major pet peeve that may necessitate a move in the future after my lease is up is being so close to 81, there is a ton of truck noise, 24/7. Some nights have been hard to sleep - I've had to start taking melatonin to help.

The area along Rt. 9/Edwin Miller Blvd is a slightly different story. Usually at least once a month I've read about armed robberies/similar crime at businesses nearby. The landlords do criminal background checks though, so the vast majority of the people who live in the complex are decent people, and I haven't had any issues. Lots of transplants (like myself) from DC/MD/VA, mix of blue collar and white collar.

Happy to answer any other questions.

-William
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia