Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,972 times

Advertisements

I mentioned this a couple months ago but had no idea it would come to fruition so quickly. I realize I not zero to do with this but I have felt this was a great way to use that property.

TODAY: Plans unveiled for downtown Courtyard Marriott Hotel * - Kanawha County - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
You beat me to it! Lol

I agree this is the best use of this site, and I'm extremely glad that this is coming to dowtown! Just another sign of Charleston's growth and strength!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 AM

We are also talking about another office building, and a parking garage! This lot has been an eyesore for a few years now, and this beautiful building will make the property one of the more attractive in town.

Here is the State Journal with some good pictures of the layout. It doesn't show the rendering though, like the Dail Mail does.
http://statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=110364 (broken link)

Last edited by Chriscross309; 10-18-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 05:04 PM

I didn't read the full article until after I had posted.

Yes, the office building and the parking garage are both good things. I believe I read an article within the last two weeks that prime office space in downtown Charlytown is about 90%+ full so this will help provide new space.

Mid-2014 will be here before we know it but I am too old to wish my life away like that.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I didn't read the full article until after I had posted.

Yes, the office building and the parking garage are both good things. I believe I read an article within the last two weeks that prime office space in downtown Charlytown is about 90%+ full so this will help provide new space.

Mid-2014 will be here before we know it but I am too old to wish my life away like that.
I read that same article, and it is filling up too.

The thing that really makes me happy is that not only are we getting a new "really nice" hotel, but the now Ramada right down the street is getting a facelift. Also the now Holiday Inn in South Charleston is getting work too. And there is a new Holiday Inn Express in Cross Lanes. That is alot of new hotel rooms within a couple month span! Now there will be 4 really nice hotels, and 4 nice hotels all in downtown.

Another good thing is that Mayor Jones said he is working on getting money for the remodeling of the Civic Center. That Is Awsome!

Plus the rendering of the 5 story hotel looked really nice and modern. It will go well with the new office building that they just built on the lot beside the hotel. I think that building is almost done.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 AM

Article about possible economic boost

Marriott Courtyard Expected To Give Charleston An Economic Boost - WOWK-TV - WOWKTV.com (http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=110416 - broken link)

Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
I was also reading in the Gazette article that the city is looking for naming rights to help with additional funding for the civic center. Downtown Charleston has a lot of potential, and looks like businesses are beginning to take notice.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I was also reading in the Gazette article that the city is looking for naming rights to help with additional funding for the civic center. Downtown Charleston has a lot of potential, and looks like businesses are beginning to take notice.
So much for my Stone & Thomas idea. LOL

But I did notice that they put the sign back up in the window of Stone & Thomas that showed their proposal. I guess that means they haven't given up.
Here is a good link that has floor plans at the bottom. It looks like there is plans for two restaurants and two retail spaces.
http://www.jamonglobal.com/C2R2_PRO/...t=added%20DESC

Courtyards are nice hotels, and it will be interesting to see what types of events and conventions that might come now that we are going to have one. I'm excited to see what old Danny has planned for the Civic Center, I've heard the words remodel and expansion so I guess we can see a little of both!

Last edited by Chriscross309; 10-19-2011 at 07:42 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM

The only thing I don't like about Courtyards is no free breakfast or a concierge lounge. LOL Seriously, I agree that they are very nice facilities. The newer ones have small lounges that stay open until about 11:00 pm so that is convenient. Marriott chain is my #1 choice.

I hope that redevelopment of Stone and Thomas comes to fruition as it could be a really nice addition as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia