Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,414 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating and want to make sure I'm in a diverse neighborhood. I would love to be near restaurants, shopping plaza and good schools as I want my children to be as comfortable as possible. My family is West Indian and Black American and we're from the North. We've and been told West Virginia will be much different than what we're used to and would like to know what you recommend. I also want to be in newer community as the ads we've seen on craigslist look a little rundown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 06:31 AM

5,988 posts, read 8,970,216 times
HI,

It sounds like you are looking for a place like Charleston. It is our state's largest city, and has the most diverse population. There are tons of shopping and restaurants here aswell as great schools and hospitals. I would point out the South Hills neighborbood for several reasons. One being the schools there are some of the best in the state, and even nationally reconized. It is also a mixed community with both new subdivisions/developments, and historical mansions and homes. Another reason you might like this community is because it has some unique shopping and dining in its business district.

The city itself is very beautiful, and as of recently seeing a growth pattern. Downtown has some really nice places like the Charleston Town Center Mall, Charleston Civic Center, The Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences, Historical Village District, and Appalachain Power Park (baseball stadium). The local hospitals are all modern and excelent in care. Charleston Area Medical Center (CAMC) has one of the nation's best heart programs, and it has 4 different hospitals that specialize in different fields of care. We do have an Indian Center here, which plays the role as a community center for people of that nationality. There are plently of parks, gardens, recreation activities, and outdoor venues for fun and relaxation. The newly remodeled Haddad Riverfront Park features a covered concert area, and miles of paved biking and walking paths. The best part of Charleston is the fact that everything in downtown is in walking distance to everything else. It is really easy to access downtown and all it has to offer.

On an ending note, the people here are some of the friendlist in the world. We take pride in who we are, and where we live. There is alot to do for such a small city, and some of the things we have here are second to none. Diversity is a big part of our city, and it is greatly welcomed.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,335,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayancy000 View Post
I'm relocating and want to make sure I'm in a diverse neighborhood. I would love to be near restaurants, shopping plaza and good schools as I want my children to be as comfortable as possible. My family is West Indian and Black American and we're from the North. We've and been told West Virginia will be much different than what we're used to and would like to know what you recommend. I also want to be in newer community as the ads we've seen on craigslist look a little rundown.
Where are you moving from, the north is definitely a broad area. Detroit for instance, is more segregated than Mississippi, while Boston and NYC are more diverse cities. I say that the places that pop into my mind would be Morgantown and Wheeling. Wheeling has a very northeastern/rustbelt feel to it and the people that I have met from there seem like they could be from Chicago (random northern city that popped into my head) if I did not know any better. Morgantown is home to a HUGE university with many different groups of people. I have met people there from 6 of the 7 continents (even a few professors that I have talked to have been to Antartica if that counts ) My advice would be to visit over a long weekend if possible and see what it is like for yourself. I hope that you enjoy your move and best of luck for you and your family. Another good part about northern WV is the fact that you are within 75 miles of Pittsburgh and about 3.5 hours from Baltimore/Washington DC

Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 PM

4,934 posts, read 8,881,587 times
If you decide to check out Charleston, make sure to stop by Huntington as well. Huntington is the second largest city in the state with just under 50,000 people and it is only 45 minutes from Charleston. Huntington is home to two not-for-profit hospitals which are among the best in the state in addition to a VA Hospital. We have good schools in Southside Elementary/Huntington Middle along with Village of Barboursville Elementary/Barboursville Middle. Southside Elementary has had a growing number of international students, so much so that they offer an English as a second language class as part of the elementary curriculum. Huntington also has a great parks system with an award winning rose garden, great childrens playground and is currently adding a new, $220,000 dog park. We offer historic neighborhoods with many well restored homes just outside of downtown or newer subdivisions in the surrounding areas. Huntington is also home to the Huntington Mall, which is the largest shopping mall in the state, as well as a great life style center at Pullman Square in downtown. We have a great mix of chain and local restaurants and the mix is growing. Our downtown offers restaurants that specialize in Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian and a fresh seafood market/restaurant along with a restaurant that cooks only fresh, local food.

In addition to our residential population, Huntington is also home to Marshall University. This adds a lot of diversity to our city thanks to the international students at the university along with the many international born residents who work at our wonderful local hospitals. Marshall also adds sporting and cultural events to our area in addition to the wonderful attractions we have in the city itself like the Huntington Museum of Art, the Big Sandy Arena and the historic Keith-Albee Performing Arts Center. Here are some links to give you and idea about the area. Let me know if you have any other questions about Huntington and I'll do my best to answer.

Tim

City of Huntington, West Virginia

Cabell Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau highlighting Huntington, Barboursvil

The Greater Huntington Community Web Portal

Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District

PATH - The Paul Ambrose Trail for Health

Marshall University - Huntington, WV

Huntington, WV Online

Huntington Quarterly | Articles | Issue 72 | 50 Things We Love

FYIHuntington.com Huntington WV Events Coupons

Huntington Museum of Art of Huntington, West Virginia

http://www.huntingtonmall.com/home/index.ch2

Pullman Square - Shop, Dine, Enjoy.

Marshall Artists Series

The Huntington Symphony Orchestra

Cabell County Schools - Dedicated to the Success of Every Student

METRO VALLEY (Great link that speaks of the diversity in the Huntington-Charleston area)

Southside honoring its international students - The Herald Dispatch

Old 10-22-2011, 06:43 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,831,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayancy000 View Post
WV is not a diverse state, but Morgantown by far is the most diverse city in WV. It is also the most cosmopolitan and advanced city in WV, which isnt saying much. Finally it has the best education and health system, plus the best economy in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia