Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: West Virginia support for.....
Newt Gingrich 4 14.29%
Mitt Romney 1 3.57%
Ron Paul 8 28.57%
Current President Barack Obama 7 25.00%
Another not listed here... 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:20 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times

Advertisements

Move to Martinsburg or Shepherdstown and take the train to work. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:32 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Move to Martinsburg or Shepherdstown and take the train to work. Problem solved.
Work is less than a 10 minute drive, and I can walk to the Metro in about 10 minutes and be in the center of DC in around 30 minutes.

I don't want to spend too much commuting every day. I love WV, but it is not practical for me to live there right now.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtbred View Post
Seriously this admin is never going to stop spending. O can stay in office if he has a balanced budget otherwise I will do everything I can do to help vote him out. You and I can't spend more then we have even if we want to and the government shouldn't be able to either. By the way raising taxes so you can spend more is not a good thing to do. What you do is spend only what you have. If you want more taxes on everything move to Maryland they seem to enjoy it.
hahaha Funny you bring up Maryland. I'm actually highly considering a move back East to Maryland. Their "taxes" enable them to actually pay teachers a decent start out wage... about 18K more than WV

and as for spending.... Just want to make a couple of points here. Again... what was our debt and deficit when the last Democrat left office? Practically nothing and we were running a surplus. Then we had a supposed fiscal Republican in there for two terms blowing up sand dunes and cutting the taxes for the upper class. Where was his fiscal responsibility???? Ohhhh, that's right he cut programs that help the poor, elderly, and education. 1 billion dollars each day was spent on Iraq, and 2 billion a day for Afghanistan. Sure I'm glad the Iraqi people are free now... but did we really have the necessary sources to spend to go in there practically alone just to remove Hussein?

I agree that we need a MORE balanced budget, but having a completely balanced budget right now is just not possible without dire hardships for all Americans. Well, all of us who aren't sitting on millions of dollars.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:00 PM

537 posts, read 958,558 times
Quote:
Seriously this admin is never going to stop spending. O can stay in office if he has a balanced budget otherwise I will do everything I can do to help vote him out. You and I can't spend more then we have even if we want to and the government shouldn't be able to either. By the way raising taxes so you can spend more is not a good thing to do. What you do is spend only what you have. If you want more taxes on everything move to Maryland they seem to enjoy it.
Tax rates on the richest Americans have dropped over the last few decades to historical lows. So no, I don't want to "raise" taxes, I just want them back where they used to be, back when the rich payed their fair share.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
"I'm not a fan of the previous administration either, but I just want to point out that it mostly operated with a Congress dominated by the opposition party."

This isn't true. The 107th, 108th, and 109th had a House controlled by Republicans. The 108th and 109th had the Senate controlled by the Republicans. The 107th was 50/50 split (so +1 for Cheney) until Jeffords switched from R to I and caucused with the Democrats, giving them the majority. Only the 110th had Democrats in control of both houses.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 AM

144 posts, read 317,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
hahaha Funny you bring up Maryland. I'm actually highly considering a move back East to Maryland. Their "taxes" enable them to actually pay teachers a decent start out wage... about 18K more than WV

and as for spending.... Just want to make a couple of points here. Again... what was our debt and deficit when the last Democrat left office? Practically nothing and we were running a surplus. Then we had a supposed fiscal Republican in there for two terms blowing up sand dunes and cutting the taxes for the upper class. Where was his fiscal responsibility???? Ohhhh, that's right he cut programs that help the poor, elderly, and education. 1 billion dollars each day was spent on Iraq, and 2 billion a day for Afghanistan. Sure I'm glad the Iraqi people are free now... but did we really have the necessary sources to spend to go in there practically alone just to remove Hussein?

I agree that we need a MORE balanced budget, but having a completely balanced budget right now is just not possible without dire hardships for all Americans. Well, all of us who aren't sitting on millions of dollars.
First if you move to an area such as Monkey County it will cost you that much more to live there I know I did it for many years. For $150,000 you will live in a small townhouse that might not be in the best neighborhoods. For $150,000 in Jeff or Berk Co you will get a single family home with some land around it. Second taxes, in MD you pay Fed, State AND County income tax. Real Estate taxes are higher as well.

As for the debt when the last Dem was in office it was during the internet boom where it seems as if every business prospered and when it ended it hurt. As for Billy he was very conservative but most libs don't want to admit it and let's not forget (although liberals want to) that was the time we had the first Republican controlled Congress in over 30 years. Repub controlled congress with a very moderate President = good for business and in turn good for the country.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:00 AM

144 posts, read 317,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Tax rates on the richest Americans have dropped over the last few decades to historical lows. So no, I don't want to "raise" taxes, I just want them back where they used to be, back when the rich payed their fair share.
I am anything but rich actually right in the middle of the middle class but raising taxes just so you can waste it on programs is not a great business model to follow. You want the rich to pay more then move to a flat tax with a consumption tax like they use with gasoline. The rich will spend more and pay more. Yes it is that simple.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:50 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Lived there for a while and the worst I have seen. Definitely worse than VA, WV and DE.
I lived in DE and worked in MD for a while. Got double-screwed on taxes, believe it. VA wins in some tax categories but loses in others, like the annual car tax. By my calculations it always seemed like a wash no matter where you go around here. You're going to pay the piper somehow.

I've lived in places outside the mid atlantic, and believe me, compared to places in the northeast and northwest, it's really not so bad. You know, sometimes youve got to pay for things.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
North Bethesda. Got a sweet job there. Area seems cool, except for traffic which is worse than Morgantown and cost of living.
Good luck to you. It's certainly one of the most expensive places in the country to live, but the opportunities are there. Be sure to check out Baltimore sometime when you want a really fun night out or sporting event. And don't listen to people who bash it, they don't know what they're talking bout (along the lines of people who dumbly make fun of west virginia stereotypes).

Old 12-17-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That's what I would do but if I was younger I could see wanting to live down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia