Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times

Advertisements

I lived and worked in the NYC area for years. Such commutes are not at all uncommon in and around the large cities. In WV you can generally get any place you want for work and other things in a half hour or less. That just is not true in the large cities. Contrary to popular belief, things are not more convenient there. City sprawl and traffic concerns make things a lot less convenient. If you live in the suburbs, you might have a physician in one small town of 75,000 people, shop in another, go to church in yet another, and work in "the city" or yet another small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
I commuted from Martinsburg to downtown DC by car for a couple of years and it wasn't unbearable. However, I left at 8:15 am, arriving around 10, left at 6:30 and was home around 8 usually. I think the traffic is better during these hours because they have lifted the HOV restrictions by then on I-270.

It is expensive, with gas and $15 a day parking, but not that much more than buying train and Metro passes.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:46 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I commuted from Martinsburg to downtown DC by car for a couple of years and it wasn't unbearable. However, I left at 8:15 am, arriving around 10, left at 6:30 and was home around 8 usually. I think the traffic is better during these hours because they have lifted the HOV restrictions by then on I-270.

It is expensive, with gas and $15 a day parking, but not that much more than buying train and Metro passes.
You did this on a Sunday. Do it again during a weekday, same hours, and let us know how that went.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 15,043 times
Default Thanks

Thanks so much for the replies so far. Yeah, my wife and I have had several discussions about the living arrangements. Right now, we're thinking of WV for the kids' sake. Affordable, Christian school, good church, ice hockey near (Haggerstown(sp?)), and the ability to save a few bucks in rent for a nice, spacious house. We have one who will be graduating during our time there, so we'll try to enjoy our last several years with her in the house.

I just completed my PhD, and am working on my second Master's Degree, so maybe I'll just decide to retire in Martinsburg and try to find a good civilian job anyway. I know I don't want to retire too close to a major metro area like DC, so we'll see.

Again, thanks for the replies and info. Keep it coming, since I'll take any info I can get!
Merry Christmas to everyone!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcop View Post
Thanks so much for the replies so far. Yeah, my wife and I have had several discussions about the living arrangements. Right now, we're thinking of WV for the kids' sake. Affordable, Christian school, good church, ice hockey near (Haggerstown(sp?)), and the ability to save a few bucks in rent for a nice, spacious house. We have one who will be graduating during our time there, so we'll try to enjoy our last several years with her in the house.

I just completed my PhD, and am working on my second Master's Degree, so maybe I'll just decide to retire in Martinsburg and try to find a good civilian job anyway. I know I don't want to retire too close to a major metro area like DC, so we'll see.

Again, thanks for the replies and info. Keep it coming, since I'll take any info I can get!
Merry Christmas to everyone!
Well people I know that do live in WV, and commute to DC do so for their kids, and that is the best reason I can think of for making that commute.

Id look into the public schools in Martinsburg first. WV is not known for having the best public schools, but in some cities like Morgantown and Charleston they are really good, even on the national level. Martinsburg might have good public schools.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 PM

385 posts, read 615,011 times
Have you looked for a job in your field locally? I used to go from Inwood to Chantilly every day (car pool), 75 miles one way. So, on a good day I'd spend three hours on the road. On a bad day (it rained, it snowed, or there was a traffic accident) we could easily add another 1-3 hours.

Now I'm working in Kearneysville and incredibly was offered a higher salary in my new job. Making that choice was a no-brainer!

Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 PM

389 posts, read 796,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Well people I know that do live in WV, and commute to DC do so for their kids, and that is the best reason I can think of for making that commute.

Id look into the public schools in Martinsburg first. WV is not known for having the best public schools, but in some cities like Morgantown and Charleston they are really good, even on the national level. Martinsburg might have good public schools.
I will agree that the schools in the most rural and depressed regions aren't very good. However, West Virginia public schools, as a whole, rank in the top ten in the nation and are a model for rural education systems. Of course, the schools in the DC suburbs are nationally renowned and Maryland and Virginia (the whole state) rank first and fourth respectively, but I think West Virginia is doing very well in that department. From what I've heard, Berkeley County has good schools. I'm told Martinsburg High is a little on the ghetto side (exaggerated, I'm sure) and Musselman and Hedgesville especially are excellent.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I will agree that the schools in the most rural and depressed regions aren't very good. However, West Virginia public schools, as a whole, rank in the top ten in the nation and are a model for rural education systems. Of course, the schools in the DC suburbs are nationally renowned and Maryland and Virginia (the whole state) rank first and fourth respectively, but I think West Virginia is doing very well in that department. From what I've heard, Berkeley County has good schools. I'm told Martinsburg High is a little on the ghetto side (exaggerated, I'm sure) and Musselman and Hedgesville especially are excellent.
The schools in the more populated areas are known for being good, but the rural schools are known for being terrible. Im sure Berkeley has good schools, but im guessing if you go an hour outside of Berkeley they are not so good.

Preston high was always being cancelled, even during light snow days.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:17 AM

423 posts, read 1,236,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
........ However, West Virginia public schools, as a whole, rank in the top ten in the nation and are a model for rural education systems. ......
Just curious ... can you provide some data to back that statement up, or provide a link to such data? It seems to me that WV schools ... and WV in general for that matter ..... are always being bashed when compared to the rest of the country. I'd love to read some positive press. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 AM

144 posts, read 317,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcop View Post

How about inline hockey? We have youth and adult leagues in Martinsburg. Private message me for more information. For what its worth it is the fraction of the cost of ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia