U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,129 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I just visited your beautifull state and would really like to call it my new home. I am originally from New Hampshire but currently living in up-state New York where i hate it. I am a 51 year old healthy male who just wants to settle in WV. I would prefer the southern part of the state but would consider other area's. I would need to obtain employment but i am not sure what the economy is like in your beautifull state. I have a highschool Diploma but no trade. Could anyone give me some information on the state? I would want to live in the country and would not mind a 30 mile commute to a job. I hope somebody can give me some advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 05:36 PM

4,725 posts, read 8,296,588 times
The obvious thing would be to look around the larger cities. Beckley, Bluefield, Charleston and Huntington would be good places to start if you are looking for a more southern locale. More info on what you are looking for and need could help narrow your search some more. Glad you like it here!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:37 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,165,250 times
Here in Morgantown we have one of the Nation's lowest unemployment rates and we are near some outstanding outdoor venues. A 30 mile radius around our town provides some nice rural communities for consideration. We aren't in southern West Virginia, but we are closer to New Hampshire and can still give you Mountain State living. What skills do you have or what type of job are you seeking?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,382,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhhredneck View Post
Hello everyone, I just visited your beautifull state and would really like to call it my new home. I am originally from New Hampshire but currently living in up-state New York where i hate it. I am a 51 year old healthy male who just wants to settle in WV. I would prefer the southern part of the state but would consider other area's. I would need to obtain employment but i am not sure what the economy is like in your beautifull state. I have a highschool Diploma but no trade. Could anyone give me some information on the state? I would want to live in the country and would not mind a 30 mile commute to a job. I hope somebody can give me some advice.
What kind of work experience do you have?

Old 12-30-2011, 11:53 AM

282 posts, read 450,733 times
There are many great places to live in WV and maybe a few that aren't so great, as is the case with any state. The southern part of WV around Beckley and Bluefied/Princeton is a good choice. A few larger cities (by WV standards) that are clean, not run down, and good places to live are Morgantown, Parkersburg, Charleston, and Huntington. While Parkersburg and Morgantown are in northern WV, they are very nice towns and have everything you need. I happen to live in Parkersburg and my daughter in Morgantown, so am very familiar with both. They are also reasonably close to big cities, including Columbus and Pittsburgh, if that is important. But no matter what city you live in here, you can drive 5 miles and be clear out in the country.

West Virginia’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate as of November is down to 7.9 percent, which is significantly below the national rate of 8.6 percent. The development of the Marcellus shale is also contributing to job improvements in WV. Most sectors in the state are expanding.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:56 PM

46 posts, read 63,603 times
Quote:
I love it too! That's why I moved back!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,129 times
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.As i already stated i don't have a skilled trade but i have worked in the manufacuring industry as well as the retail industry. I can pass a drug test and background check and can provide excellent references upon request. I am going to check out the cities that were suggested on the internet. I would not mind a 20-30 mile commute to work as i would want to live in the country. Hope i will be able to relocate soon. West Virginia reminds me of my home state of New Hampshire and it does not get 10 feet of snow in winter or -20 below zero temperatures in winter. I found the people to be very friendly and the scenery beautifull. My personal email is ruswhit60@yahoo.com if anyone would like to write me directly with more ideas of employment. Thanks again to everyone. Russ W.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:44 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,165,250 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.As i already stated i don't have a skilled trade but i have worked in the manufacuring industry as well as the retail industry. I can pass a drug test and background check and can provide excellent references upon request. I am going to check out the cities that were suggested on the internet. I would not mind a 20-30 mile commute to work as i would want to live in the country. Hope i will be able to relocate soon. West Virginia reminds me of my home state of New Hampshire and it does not get 10 feet of snow in winter or -20 below zero temperatures in winter. I found the people to be very friendly and the scenery beautifull. My personal email is ruswhit60@yahoo.com if anyone would like to write me directly with more ideas of employment. Thanks again to everyone. Russ W.
Here's my advice/opinion. Take a short nurses aide/orderly training program and move to the Morgantown-Clarksburg area. Our healthcare system is expanding in a major way... expected to add a minimum of 750 new jobs over the next 3 years. With even a little training, you would never be without a job here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia