U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 AM

10,147 posts, read 14,705,474 times

Advertisements

Consol Cashes In; Will Spend $1.7 Billion on Gas, Coal Development - News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,115,959 times
Two Super mines are planned to mine all of the coal from Wetzel County to the Ohio River.
Patterned after the Enlow operations which used mutiple longwall machines, Robinson Run (Mine 95) and Loveridge (Mine 22) will be expanded to employ well over 1,000 miners at each facility.

The recent federal EPA regulations have been an incredible boon to this company. In the past, low btu, and high sulphur coal was hardly marketable now it is in great demand on the international market as 3rd world countries expand their economies.

The NCWv region can see the trickle down effect of this distribution of wealth.
Expansion of hospitals and colleges...a robust real estate market and the personal spending on vehicles, recreation industry and savings are just a few of the shared benefits...

Horray for us! It's long over due...and I'm only mentioning this one industry and company...

Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 PM

I agree. Things are booming here in spite of the economic problems faced nearly everywhere else. Martinsburg's growth is fueled by folks getting away from DC and Baltimore. Ours is momentum generated by major economic factors, most recently energy. I think it keeps on rolling for the next decade at least.

In Morgantown, we very much need the state to get off its duff and build us some roads. WV 705 is the state's busiest "state" road, and it virtually dead ends into Mileground where traffic trickles though at a snails pace much of the time. Mon Blvd. runs into Beechurst and slows to a crawl, and coming the other way there are the bottlenecks where some state road genius decided to narrow everything into one lane between Don Knotts and Beechurst. The other end of Don Knotts runs into the mess going up the hill to I68. And Westover... forget about it. 20,000 cars creep through there every day on the main road.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:12 AM

The state is to spend over 1 billion on roads.
The present legislature is carving up that pie as we speak.
Rumor has it that PENN-DOT will be a prime contractor in the Morgantown area.
Everything works on the 'squeaky wheel principal.
Morgantown could use all of that money and more.
What is done will define the growth of Morgantown for the next century and more.
A hint...they must expand South and West.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM

389 posts, read 781,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
If you think our infrastructure is sub-par now... haha

Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,131,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
If you think our infrastructure is sub-par now... haha
Compare the Toll-43 Connector on either side of the state line, and you might reconsider that statement.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
The state is to spend over 1 billion on roads.
The present legislature is carving up that pie as we speak.
Everything works on the 'squeaky wheel principal.
Morgantown could use all of that money and more.
What is done will define the growth of Morgantown for the next century and more.
A hint...they must expand South and West.
I agree that it would be wise to put more emphasis on expansion to the South. Connecting Morgantown and Fairmont along the Mon River is a natural, and would lead to greater investment in manufacturing along the corridor. I think that eventually the entire Mon Valley from Fairmont to Pittsburgh will be contiguously developed.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM

Placing a new Interstate loop from Star City through Chaplin Hill to Sugar Grove would intersect Old Rt 19 about 4 miles from Westover. This seems like the best place to start with road expansion in Morgantown.
Creating a new football stadium in that loop would almost end all the traffic problems for WVU and lead the way for the campus to expand on new ground.
It would also pave the way for the WVU Hospital expansion that will need the old stadium area and the parking lot.
A No-brainer that just needs money...and Sir, the money is here!

Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Compare the Toll-43 Connector on either side of the state line, and you might reconsider that statement.
I mean both sides are newly paved, but it does appear that they messed up a bit on the West Virginia side. I'll give you that, but it's the exception, not the rule. Maybe Pennsylvanians aren't aware, but PA is infamous for never-ending road work and a highway system in disrepair. Compare ANY road in PA to its counterpart south of the Mason-Dixon in my home state (Maryland) and that'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Placing a new Interstate loop from Star City through Chaplin Hill to Sugar Grove would intersect Old Rt 19 about 4 miles from Westover. This seems like the best place to start with road expansion in Morgantown.
Creating a new football stadium in that loop would almost end all the traffic problems for WVU and lead the way for the campus to expand on new ground.
It would also pave the way for the WVU Hospital expansion that will need the old stadium area and the parking lot.
A No-brainer that just needs money...and Sir, the money is here!
Ehh... If we're going to get new interstate anywhere, I personally think it should be north of town. Begin at I-68 near Cheat Lake, have exits at Point Marion Rd. (US 119), Baker's Ridge Rd., Van Voorhis Rd., and Collins Ferry Rd., give or take, then end at I-79 between Star City and the PA Line. I think that would cut down on congestion, in addition to providing access to undeveloped land for projects like the one you came up with. Two birds, one stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia