Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:55 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times

Advertisements

This thread is hilarrrrrriiiiiooooouuuuusssssssss hahahahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:01 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I love Morgantown, but give me a break! It's home to a major national university. Everything Morgantown has become can be attributed to WVU in one way or another. College towns are generally pretty well off. What's truly impressive is when a down-and-out industrial town reinvents itself and becomes prosperous again (what every rustbelt town from Maryland to Minnesota has been trying to do for decades).
I disagree with that statement. There are plenty of towns with large universities that have not done nearly as well as Morgantown. Some of them have even larger universities. Our city has benefitted greatly from The University, nobody would deny that, but it has also benefitted from a major benefactor by the name of Puskar and the presence of a thriving and growing pharma industry, a strategic location relatively close to larger population centers to the north and east, a growing energy industry, and a close proximity to outstanding outdoor venues.

It is also home to a thriving and rapidly growing healthcare industry. While it is true that much of that is University related, a lot of it is independent of The U. too.

In addition, contrary to any stereotypes about the state, Morgantown has one of the best educated populations in the country. It is gaining stature not only as a great place to live, work, and go to school, but as a retirement destination as well.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:45 AM

552 posts, read 738,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I disagree with that statement. There are plenty of towns with large universities that have not done nearly as well as Morgantown. Some of them have even larger universities. Our city has benefitted greatly from The University, nobody would deny that, but it has also benefitted from a major benefactor by the name of Puskar and the presence of a thriving and growing pharma industry, a strategic location relatively close to larger population centers to the north and east, a growing energy industry, and a close proximity to outstanding outdoor venues.

It is also home to a thriving and rapidly growing healthcare industry. While it is true that much of that is University related, a lot of it is independent of The U. too.

In addition, contrary to any stereotypes about the state, Morgantown has one of the best educated populations in the country. It is gaining stature not only as a great place to live, work, and go to school, but as a retirement destination as well.
I agree with some points and disagree with others. I would say most towns with large universities do well, note I say towns. Morgantown is like many college towns, but unlike cities like cincinatti and pittsburgh where the college only makes up a proportion of the city. Morgantown is small enough to be the most educated town, economically strong, and enjoy such advantages as excellent hospitals. However the buck stops there until Morgantown can be more then just a college town, will it ever be like its neighbor pittsburgh? It needs more then just milan puskar and wvu. If it keeps it up it could be more then just a college town, but it needs to add several thousand more residents.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 AM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
[quote=CTMountaineer;22743773]The FBI Center was assured before the Jerry Dove development. Your proposal might just be wishful thinking. If 250 years of potential has not resulted in significant development in those areas, what assurance could you provide that a four land road would do it? [quote]

Do you ever read your post after you post and then realize that it was dumb? In 250 years, places that were easier to get to developed and are now our countries largest population centers. If people could get to Eastern WV, then maybe it would be more populated, and more business friendly. Look at Charleston as an example. Before the interstate system, the city was isolated and couldn't grow beyond what it could do natuarally. When the highways were built, Charleston took off like a wildfire and both people and business located here. And yes I know the FBI Center came first, my point was that they saw the vision of Jerry Dove drive when they build it. And sure enough, Bridgeport has grown.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:48 PM

389 posts, read 797,255 times
Quote:

The pharmaceutical industry wouldn't be here if it weren't for WVU. Puskar's contributions wouldn't be here if it weren't for WVU. The majority of our healthcare industry wouldn't be here if it weren't for WVU. Most of our white collar jobs, even excluding WVU, wouldn't be here (think Key Logic, NIOSH, etc.). Travel to any town this size that doesn't have a major university like we do and a few accounts, lawyers, etc. make up the extent of white collar jobs. Private businesses come here and thrive here because WVU is thriving here. That's not a bad thing, it's a blessing. But therein Morgantown's success lies.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:57 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,347 times
[quote=Chriscross309;22746391][quote=CTMountaineer;22743773]The FBI Center was assured before the Jerry Dove development. Your proposal might just be wishful thinking. If 250 years of potential has not resulted in significant development in those areas, what assurance could you provide that a four land road would do it?
Quote:

Do you ever read your post after you post and then realize that it was dumb? In 250 years, places that were easier to get to developed and are now our countries largest population centers. If people could get to Eastern WV, then maybe it would be more populated, and more business friendly. Look at Charleston as an example. Before the interstate system, the city was isolated and couldn't grow beyond what it could do natuarally. When the highways were built, Charleston took off like a wildfire and both people and business located here. And yes I know the FBI Center came first, my point was that they saw the vision of Jerry Dove drive when they build it. And sure enough, Bridgeport has grown.

Dumb is not a very nice word to use.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:59 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,523 times
Quote:
It is gaining stature not only as a great place to live, work, and go to school, but as a retirement destination as well.
I'll believe this when I see a Morgantown forum!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I love Morgantown, but give me a break! It's home to a major national university. Everything Morgantown has become can be attributed to WVU in one way or another. College towns are generally pretty well off. What's truly impressive is when a down-and-out industrial town reinvents itself and becomes prosperous again (what every rustbelt town from Maryland to Minnesota has been trying to do for decades).
Not really. Federal government and private industry is strong here.

College towns are well off, but not all of them win best city of the year, best economy for a small city, best places for jobs, and lowest unemployment in the country like Morgantown does year after year. Take a look at Morgantown's impressive record. Morgantown is not one of the most successful college towns in the US, but one of the most successful small cities. Go up to College Park Maryland or Camden NJ and see that not all College towns are so successful. Morgantown has achieved Austin type recognition for a city its size.

Most rustbelt areas have not been able to reinvent themselves. Pittsburgh is an exception, along with Boston and a few other areas. By large the rust belt is not a healthy area, including your Cumberland. Morgantown was never part of the rustbelt but it was a small town that became a leading small city with almost no support from the state. That is impressive.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:23 PM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
[quote=ButtercupMcToots;22749346][quote=Chriscross309;22746391]
Quote:
The FBI Center was assured before the Jerry Dove development. Your proposal might just be wishful thinking. If 250 years of potential has not resulted in significant development in those areas, what assurance could you provide that a four land road would do it?

Dumb is not a very nice word to use.
Well if that is the worst thing I say on this forum, then I must be doing pretty good considering the circumstances.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:30 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
I'll believe this when I see a Morgantown forum!
Charleston and the state government would never allow that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia