Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,273 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate from West Michigan, to someplace south of us. We have lived here all our lives, but are looking for a change. We have three kids, which range from 4 yrs to 11 yrs old. I am a medical assistant, but have worked in the dental field for 6 yrs and my husband just finished school with his Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice. The most important things in a city to us would be safety, the economy, schools, weather, and location. We have done some research and were thinking around Kentucky or West Virginia, but we are open to look elsewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 05:24 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieJose View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate from West Michigan, to someplace south of us. We have lived here all our lives, but are looking for a change. We have three kids, which range from 4 yrs to 11 yrs old. I am a medical assistant, but have worked in the dental field for 6 yrs and my husband just finished school with his Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice. The most important things in a city to us would be safety, the economy, schools, weather, and location. We have done some research and were thinking around Kentucky or West Virginia, but we are open to look elsewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Well what you want fits a broad range of areas in WV, and the nation.

For instance Morgantown WV has one of the best economies in the country, the best schools in WV, is extremely safe, and is near the NE corridor, Pittsburgh, DC, hiking, biking, national parks, etc. The weather is kinda grey, wet, and cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

Plenty of other towns fit your criteria. There is NC, Kentucky has nice parts, where I am in Maryland is pretty awesome, but the whole DC metro area has good things going for it. Austin TX is cool. I mean seriously I would get more criteria. For the criteria you mentioned Morgantown wins hands down in WV, except for weather.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Consider the Huntington area as you look. Based on your criteria, Huntington seems to be the best fit for what you are looking for in WV. The healthcare field is constantly growing here and the pay is about the highest in WV from my experience (I am in the healthcare field as well) and from what others have told me too. The winters here are very mild and would give you the least amount of snow in the state. You would also be close to KY and all that it offers as well since Huntington is right on the border.

Huntington is also a great place to raise children, I have 3 of my own as well. Huntington has been named as the best place in WV to raise children and we have a great parks system with an award winning childrens playground at Ritter Park. There are also a lot of great things for kids to do at the Huntington Museum of Art and in connection with Marshall University too. With all that the city offers for arts and entertainment combined with what Marshall offers as well, there is plenty to do here. We have a great growing downtown with lots of nice, local restaurants and a growing number of businesses. Huntington was also recently named the #8 best housing market in the US so an investment here would likely be a good one. For your husband, he could likely find something with the Marshall Forensics program or with some of the local government agencies.

I hope this helps and let me know if you would like any other info about Huntington.

Tim

Cabell Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau highlighting Huntington, Barboursvil

Huntington, WV Online

Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District

Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
We certainly have plenty of work for Medical Assistants here in Morgantown. In fact, the WVU Health Services is rapidly expanding and anticipating hiring hundreds of new workers in the relatively near future. The FBI fingerprint center is located a half hour's drive away in Clarksburg, and our area is growing in population too so there is a good chance your husband could find work in this area too. If you have any questions about the University city of Morgantown, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia