Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 04:23 PM

4,936 posts, read 8,886,069 times

Advertisements

And by the way, this thread is about natural gas, coal and how their futures affect the state. Lets try and get this back on track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,833,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
As usual, havoc likes using half truths and double standards. What he was referring to was merely a small portion of the tax picture. He is trying to use road funding over a 5 year period and Kanawha county does get more taxpayer funding. This isnt abnormal when, as you pointed out, you consider the size difference in the counties. But when you look at road funding over 5 years, higher education funding over the same period and economic development grants that were handed out, it's Mon county that gets almost twice as much money as Kanawha and Cabell counties combined. But then it's thrown out that WVU doesn't equal Mon county and that shouldn't count. This is after they talk about how much the state government benefits Charleston. Last time I checked, WVU was considered to be a public entity with taxpayer dollars helping to cover salaries etc which are then used in the local economy. Which way is it, do government entities count or not? Here's the link to that discussion:

//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...l#post20141040

Plus, it's also funny that they talk so much about corruption but they always forget about Allan Mollohan and his crookedness, Manchin's $150 million Fairmont exit (which he was investigated for) and not a peep about WVU paying 3x more than appraised value for property that they purchased from someone with close connections to the university. No corruption there.
I am not counting the state government as state funding. It is unrelated to Charleston. However, the economy on Charleston is 100% dependent on tax revenue to sustain itself, unlike WVU which mostly funds itself.

That being said when looking at the population of Morgantown and the population of Charleston Morgantown is still extremely underfunded getting almost nothing while Charleston gets MUCH MUCH more. You even posted a link showing this.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Please, by all means start the petition to join Pennsylvania and "prove your point." Then see what happens when you aren't the top dog and WVU doesn't get whatever they want funding wise. See how little those WV tax dollars mean then. Oh, I forgot. You couldn't start such a petition or even vote on it since you aren't even a taxpaying state resident. Oh the irony.
I dont want to join with PA, although I would support joining Western PA if they wanted to break away from PA. Either case, joining all of PA, joining western PA, or being 100% independent WVU would probably get 10x more funding than it does from Charleston. Morgantown would probably get 10000x the funding than it does now.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,974,800 times
Quote:
As usual, havoc likes using half truths and double standards. What he was referring to was merely a small portion of the tax picture. He is trying to use road funding over a 5 year period and Kanawha county does get more taxpayer funding. This isnt abnormal when, as you pointed out, you consider the size difference in the counties. But when you look at road funding over 5 years, higher education funding over the same period and economic development grants that were handed out, it's Mon county that gets almost twice as much money as Kanawha and Cabell counties combined. But then it's thrown out that WVU doesn't equal Mon county and that shouldn't count. This is after they talk about how much the state government benefits Charleston. Last time I checked, WVU was considered to be a public entity with taxpayer dollars helping to cover salaries etc which are then used in the local economy. Which way is it, do government entities count or not? Here's the link to that discussion:

//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...l#post20141040

Plus, it's also funny that they talk so much about corruption but they always forget about Allan Mollohan and his crookedness, Manchin's $150 million Fairmont exit (which he was investigated for) and not a peep about WVU paying 3x more than appraised value for property that they purchased from someone with close connections to the university. No corruption there.
Tim, WVU is by far the largest educator of West Virginians, and in exchange for that it receives just short of $190 million per year. The school's budget will surpass $1 billion this year. Their employees and students return more directly to the state in terms of sales and income taxes than the school receives from the state. The state is actually talking about cutting The University's minimal allocation of state funding by 7% this year, as well as that of other institutions in the state, and raising tuition for every college student attending school in West Virginia but they somehow found $25 million in lottery money (that could have been used to offset that cut for everyone) to provide funding for an engineering complex that is not only redundant... it is also totally unnecessary. The state already has two excellent engineering schools, one of them just 50 miles on the other side of Charleston.

Property appraisals never reflect the true value of property, and those selling the land know full well the real value considering the strategic location with relation to the campus. Absolutely not one cent of that money is coming from the state. It will be financed with revenue bonds to be paid from rentals to students.

You're not going to get any argument from me about Photo Op. Perhaps you can help vote him out and bring the alternative on board. Everyone would be better off for it. But, the man is not a criminal as someone suggested.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The state is actually talking about cutting The University's minimal allocation of state funding by 7% this year, as well as that of other institutions in the state, and raising tuition for every college student attending school in West Virginia but they somehow found $25 million in lottery money (that could have been used to offset that cut for everyone) to provide funding for an engineering complex that is not only redundant... it is also totally unnecessary. The state already has two excellent engineering schools, one of them just 50 miles on the other side of Charleston.
This is partly due to decreasing state revenue from coal severance taxes and decreased income taxes from jobs lost, as i predicted earlier in another thread. WVU could have also offset that loss in their current budget as Marshall's leaders did when the state warned them it was coming two years ago. No one to blame but the leaders there for that. Or they could have offset some it by not paying an average of $372,000 per property for mostly dilapidated housing. Do you really think those dilapidated Sunnyside homes are worth that? Regardless, there are plenty of what ifs and being bitter about Marshall's program expansion won't help fill budget gaps.

Quote:
The $2.5 million reduction in 2011 also would be filled with stimulus funds. But in 2012, the forecast is a 10 percent, or $5 million reduction, with no stimulus funds available to fill the gaps.
Kopp not cutting personnel - The Herald Dispatch

Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
This is partly due to decreasing state revenue from coal severance taxes and decreased income taxes from jobs lost, as i predicted earlier in another thread. WVU could have also offset that loss in their current budget as Marshall's leaders did when the state warned them it was coming two years ago. No one to blame but the leaders there for that. Or they could have offset some it by not paying an average of $372,000 per property for mostly dilapidated housing. Do you really think those dilapidated Sunnyside homes are worth that? Regardless, there are plenty of what ifs and being bitter about Marshall's program expansion won't help fill budget gaps.

Kopp not cutting personnel - The Herald Dispatch
WVU is not bitter of any of Marshall's expansions. I know people at Marshall think WVU cares about them, but to be quite honest we completetly forget you even exist, except for oneday a year when we slaughter you during a football game. During that game our attitude is not, "Marshall sucks," but rather here comes a free win about this school we hardly know about. After that game WVU, and the rest of WV forgets about Marshall until the next year.

However, you do bring up a good point. The state government is willing to support Marshall more than WVU, probably due to its closer location to Charleston. Anyway unlike Marshall WVU is not reliant on state funding and sustains itself, sort of like Morgantown. In many ways Marshall is the story of Huntington, a school in decline reliant on state assistance, and WVU is the story of Morgantown, the best thing in the state that was built on its own without any real help from the state whose future is good.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
WVU is not bitter of any of Marshall's expansions.
I never said WVU was bitter of Marshall. I was referring to the obvious bitterness in CTs post. Thanks for the unnecessary, rambling post though that still has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:19 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,974,800 times
Quote:
I never said WVU was bitter of Marshall. I was referring to the obvious bitterness in CTs post. Thanks for the unnecessary, rambling post though that still has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
I'm appalled and resentful at the obvious waste associated with Plymale pork when that money could have been put toward a legitimate need, like helping hold down college tuition for every student at a state affiliated school in the state. Tens of thousands are paying for that in a most direct manner. The buildings in question in Sunnyside are essentially worthless. That is why they are being demolished. It is the ground without those buildings that has great value in more than one way. It removes a blight in our city. It provides needed first rate housing for our students close to campus. And, taxpayer funding is not an issue. We have excellent leadership at WVU. There is no way they would have entertained this without demonstrated need. They are in the habit of responding to need, not in the habit of trying to create it when the outcome is less than certain. But, you are correct, this thread is not about that.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:11 AM

16,589 posts, read 15,512,798 times
There are no more football games scheduled between Marshall and WVU. I don't know what the thinking at WVU is, but I do know that the state of West Virginia (generally) does not forget that Marshall is there. There are plenty of people who are avid supporters of both schools and see no reason not to support both (other than for those occasional ball games).

Both of these universities get state funding. Each school has a different structure and different features that make their budgets different. However, in at least one area, the two schools were given an incentive for the two research schools by former Gov. Manchin. Of the $50M available, $35M was allocated to WVU and $15M to Marshall. The truth is availbe in this article: 'Bucks for Brains' program gains momentum* - News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - The grant program is still active.

There is no truth to the claim that the state government supports Marshall more than it does WVU. The facts say that that claim is false.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. I guess all of those taxpayer dollars that go to WVU through appropriations and pop tax revenues all come from the northern part of the state huh? I guess that extra $200+ million per year does nothing for the economy up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are no more football games scheduled between Marshall and WVU. I don't know what the thinking at WVU is, but I do know that the state of West Virginia (generally) does not forget that Marshall is there. There are plenty of people who are avid supporters of both schools and see no reason not to support both (other than for those occasional ball games).

Both of these universities get state funding. Each school has a different structure and different features that make their budgets different. However, in at least one area, the two schools were given an incentive for the two research schools by former Gov. Manchin. Of the $50M available, $35M was allocated to WVU and $15M to Marshall. The truth is availbe in this article: 'Bucks for Brains' program gains momentum* - News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - The grant program is still active.

There is no truth to the claim that the state government supports Marshall more than it does WVU. The facts say that that claim is false.
Given WVU size and importance it should have gotten 45 million. You just proved my point.

Also WV does not care about Marshall. I'm sorry m. I know Huntington does but you are a local state school nothing more. WVU is the flagship university for all of WV. I don't dislike Marshall. It serves a small region of WV and does an OK job at that, but for its size and role it is way over funded. It has become a pork project of the state. I don't really mind since the state gives out chump change to fund education and WVU is not reliant on subsidies like Marshall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia