Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting. That is not at all the area that my husband is working in, with a natural gas company.
Chances are he will be traveling quite a bit. Most Frackers do. Western PA has the best shale, along with parts of western upstate NY and Northern WV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
The very best shale is in Ohio and Marshall counties West Virginia and Belmont County, Ohio. The Rockefellers and all their minions have been salavating over those Marcellus and Utica wet gas discoveries there for years now. Western PA shale is also excellent east of those areas. The rest of us basically have dry, methane gas but our reserves here are large compared with those further south.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Chances are he will be traveling quite a bit. Most Frackers do. Western PA has the best shale, along with parts of western upstate NY and Northern WV.
Like I said before, natural gas is present in both northern and southern West Virginia.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Like I said before, natural gas is present in both northern and southern West Virginia.
Like I said, the area where most of it is, and with the best is the North. Will WV benefit? Parts of it, mainly the North, but a few areas in the south will see small growth.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Like I said, the area where most of it is, and with the best is the North. Will WV benefit? Parts of it, mainly the North, but a few areas in the south will see small growth.
ALL the areas in which natural gas is developed will see new locally owned companies, local jobs, local infrastructure development, local tax revenues, local real estate sales, growth within existing local companies, etc. When I say "all" - I mean northern and southern WV - and any other section of the state that experiences natural gas production.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is present in most parts of the state. Cabell/Wayne do not have much in the way of deposits though, and there is a major difference between the kinds of natural gas found in most of the state, and that found in the Northern Panhandle, Eastern Ohio, and the middle area of Western Pennsylvania. The gas in those areas is "wet" gas, which has much more in it than the dry methane raw natural gas the rest of us have, and it is much more valuable. It is natural that any new cracker facility would be located near this wet gas since that is what a cracker does... seperates the other things present in wet gas from the methane. Also, the richer methane deposits are in the northern part of West Virginia, central PA and New York over to the Hudson River.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
ALL the areas in which natural gas is developed will see new locally owned companies, local jobs, local infrastructure development, local tax revenues, local real estate sales, growth within existing local companies, etc. When I say "all" - I mean northern and southern WV - and any other section of the state that experiences natural gas production.
That's true, but the types of development seen are likely to be related to the types of natural gas found in a particular area.

Utica Shale Map: http://geology.com/articles/utica-sh...-shale-map.gif

Marcellus Shale Map: http://www.marcellusshales.com/siteb...lushalemap.JPG

http://www.theintelligencer.net/page...r.html?nav=515

The very best wet shale formations found to date are in eastern Ohio across the river from the Wheeling-Moundsville area because these deposits also have large oil deposits included in them.

http://www.wkyc.com/sports/article/2...nd-natural-gas

But fear not... Huntington and other areas downstream will reap enoumous benefits from the transport of these materals and the totally and partially finished products associated with them. Huntington is uniquely positioned to benefit from this portion of the industry.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 11-02-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Yes, it is present in most parts of the state. Cabell/Wayne do not have much in the way of deposits though, and there is a major difference between the kinds of natural gas found in most of the state, and that found in the Northern Panhandle, Eastern Ohio, and the middle area of Western Pennsylvania. The gas in those areas is "wet" gas, which has much more in it than the dry methane raw natural gas the rest of us have, and it is much more valuable. It is natural that any new cracker facility would be located near this wet gas since that is what a cracker does... seperates the other things present in wet gas from the methane. Also, the richer methane deposits are in the northern part of West Virginia, central PA and New York over to the Hudson River.
That's great information, but honestly, that's not my point.

There is a LOT of exploration going on all over West Virginia. There's a lot of potential in many different areas when it comes to natural gas, and my point is to address the question in the OP - is this good or bad for West Virginia in general? I stated several ramifications for ANYWHERE in West Virginia where the "natural gas business" takes off (or has already taken off) as positives for wherever natural gas may be produced. That's really all I'm discussing - I'm not getting involved in this North vs South argument.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
No, not every area of the state will see growth. Only where the gas is. Southern WV will see some small growth, which is still growth. Northern WV will see most of it. Charleston and Southern WV will experience indirect growth by taxing the north and spending all the money in the south.

Kath I am glad you are moving here, but stop pretending you know anything about this state, which you admitted you dont.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
That's great information, but honestly, that's not my point.

There is a LOT of exploration going on all over West Virginia. There's a lot of potential in many different areas when it comes to natural gas, and my point is to address the question in the OP - is this good or bad for West Virginia in general? I stated several ramifications for ANYWHERE in West Virginia where the "natural gas business" takes off (or has already taken off) as positives for wherever natural gas may be produced. That's really all I'm discussing - I'm not getting involved in this North vs South argument.
The industry is taking off in the North. There is some activity in the south, but it is minor when compared to the North.

In the long run it will be good though. WV is a corrupt state where big interest control it. Right now all the Big interest are in the south and ruin the state. Gas will become a big interest and use corruption to develope the North, which has economic potential unlike the south. This will lead to an even bigger economic boom and the state will reap in tax revenue from the North's economy.

I am not against the welfare state in WV, but I am against creating an unstainable one. By investing in Northern WV we can give the south lots of welfare and still grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia