Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,880,406 times

Advertisements

There isn't a big night life anywhere. I'm no longer interested in the night life so it's certainly possible that I'm just not aware of what all is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 AM

29 posts, read 61,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
Here is another very nice new apartment/condo complex that is located near the historic residential district in downtown, with a small pool & fitness center. Avery Court

As far as crime goes, while I don't have any stats, I would say very low compared to other cities/towns of this size. This is West Virginia.
Those are really nice apartments thanks for the link. Are there plenty of furniture/electronic/appliance stores in the area?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 AM

282 posts, read 481,881 times
Yes. There is Big Sandy's Superstore, which sells everything from furniture to appliances, and of course your Lowes, Home Depot, Sear's etc.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,863,039 times
Lakeview Estates came to my mind first as it is an easy shot down to DuPont. Although older, I believe they have kept it up quite well. They have a pool and I believe tennis courts as well. It is one of the more secure facilities in the area.

It is in walking distance to Tampico (great Mexican food), Buffalo Wild Wings, Hibachi Grill Buffet, Red Lobster and other stores including Value City Furniture (voted best in the newspaper polls but I don't think they have a high quality of items, JMHO). I suggest looking at Belpre Furniture in Belpre, OH just across the bridge for quality and price comparison.

The mall is a short distance north as well and could be walked if you are a walker.

There were apartments in Town Square that is located downtown across from the courthouse that is closer to DuPont than Lakeview.

Major crime is not something that happens much in Parkersburg but there have been rashes of B&E's and car break ins the past few months. It is nothing compared to bigger cities so that could be one of the least of your concerns.

DuPont is an excellent company. Welcome to Wood County!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionio View Post
Those are really nice apartments thanks for the link. Are there plenty of furniture/electronic/appliance stores in the area?
The Hillside just behind them are supposedly haunted also so that's a bonus.

You could just about carry a sofa to there from Big Sandy. They are located about 10 minutes from work. You could ride your bike to the new riverfront park in about 5-7 minutes.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 PM

I was wondering how long should it take me to find an apartment? I will be flying within a month from now and want to make sure I have enough time to look at places...

Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 PM

938 posts, read 2,888,307 times
Keep an eye on the News and Sentinel classifieds, too. They have a website. Don't lock yourself into only complexes. With your (in parkersburg) well above average salary and buyers market in real estate you could probably rent a nice house for a reasonable sum. Another good publication is the Bulletin Board. Its available at any gas station...its the local catchall for people selling items and services. Rental ads are in there, too.

I'll be brutally honest...Parkersburg is pretty boring. Not many professionals outside of the medical and local chemistry industry. There just isn't much opportunity for the college educated. I grew up there...wish I could eat a slice of pizza place pizza right this second...but it would take a lot of convincing to get me to consider moving back.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:03 AM

282 posts, read 481,881 times
There are a lot of opportunities in the mid-Ohio valley for the college-educated. At the Department of Treasury downtown, where nearly 2,000 work, there are many, many WVU graduates, and with the budget proposal this week to combine Public Debt with another Treasury agency, many more good paying professional jobs could be coming if most operations get moved out here. This area, and I would say WV in general, has a great work ethic, and PD has a stellar reputation in the federal government. High Mark West Virginia has a brand new facility downtown as well, where I'm sure hundreds of professionals work. While Parkersburg is certainly not Las Vegas or New Orleans, it's still a very nice, small city to live and work in, and I'm sure most who live here will agree.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Keep an eye on the News and Sentinel classifieds, too. They have a website. Don't lock yourself into only complexes. With your (in parkersburg) well above average salary and buyers market in real estate you could probably rent a nice house for a reasonable sum. Another good publication is the Bulletin Board. Its available at any gas station...its the local catchall for people selling items and services. Rental ads are in there, too.

I'll be brutally honest...Parkersburg is pretty boring. Not many professionals outside of the medical and local chemistry industry. There just isn't much opportunity for the college educated. I grew up there...wish I could eat a slice of pizza place pizza right this second...but it would take a lot of convincing to get me to consider moving back.
Yea I am discourage on how small the city is but I will only be there for 2-3 years and I have been considering moving to a house thanks for the advice.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionio View Post
Yea I am discourage on how small the city is but I will only be there for 2-3 years and I have been considering moving to a house thanks for the advice.
2 hours to Columbus. Plenty to do there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia