Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
sounds like you want Greenville SC or Winston-Salem NC

Charlotte & the Triad are both larger than 1.5 mil

Actually, Spokane, WA would not be a bad option either

Asheville NC is probably your best candidate city though, metro is a bit small at 408,000, but it meets everything else.

WV is a state of small cities and towns that are relatively isolated with weak public transit. I don't think you will find any semblance of what you want here.
Except Morgantown. It has good public transport and is close to Pittsburgh and not too far from Washington.

Martinsburg is also close to DC/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Except Morgantown. It has good public transport and is close to Pittsburgh and not too far from Washington.

Right, and it is contiguous to areas that put it in the same overall ballpark as Ashville in terms of population density, plus as you mentioned it is actually near a large city. Ashville is out there by itself. It is a nice town though. In many ways it is similar to Morgantown with the proximity to the mountains and so forth, but we have a much larger university presence here and far better athletics.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
Quote:

both are considered Exurbs and are way more than 15-20 mins from the central business district.

+both metros are way larger than the 1.5-2.0mil population stipulations

Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Right, and it is contiguous to areas that put it in the same overall ballpark as Ashville in terms of population density, plus as you mentioned it is actually near a large city. Ashville is out there by itself. It is a nice town though. In many ways it is similar to Morgantown with the proximity to the mountains and so forth, but we have a much larger university presence here and far better athletics.
Asheville is a lot larger than Morgantown and has a local vibe akin to Austin TX.

83,500 vs 29,600 in city

405,000 vs 120,000 in metro

Asheville is 2h away from central Charlotte

Morgantown is 1.5h away from central Pittsburgh

+Asheville is closer to the desired climate being slightly warmer, and receiving less snow. Also less precipitation days while receiving more precipitation overall.

Last edited by mattec; 02-21-2012 at 11:17 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Asheville is way larger than Morgantown and has a local vibe akin to Austin TX.

83,500 vs 29,600 in city

+Asheville is closer to the desired climate being slightly warmer, and receiving less snow. Also less precipitation days while receiving more precipitation overall.
Never been to Ashville, although I heard it is awesome.

However, I have lived in both Austin and Morgantown, and Morgantown is like Austin on a MUCH smaller scale, excepting climate.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Never been to Ashville, although I heard it is awesome.

However, I have lived in both Austin and Morgantown, and Morgantown is like Austin on a MUCH smaller scale, excepting climate.
Asheville is an unique place; it has the music/ free spirit scene like Austin, but it has its own mountain/ hippie flavor. Lots of outdoorsy people there too with the AT and whitewater not more than a stone throw away.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Asheville is an unique place; it has the music/ free spirit scene like Austin, but it has its own mountain/ hippie flavor. Lots of outdoorsy people there too with the AT and whitewater not more than a stone throw away.
Morgantown has these things. I dont know if at the same level.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Asheville is a lot larger than Morgantown and has a local vibe akin to Austin TX.

83,500 vs 29,600 in city

There are 31,000 "permanent" residents in Morgantown along with 25,000 residential students (aprox. 5,000 or our 30,000 students commute). The metro designation is largely arbitrary and insignificant. There aren't any other "metros" near Ashville, while we are contiguous with both Fairmont/Clarksburg and Pittsburgh (located just 5 miles away in Fayette County).

Morgantown is 1 hour 14 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh (although it can take longer during rush hours), 3 hours 13 minutes from Baltimore and 3 hours 17 minutes from DC. The time to get to Pittsburgh will be reduced when they complete the Mon Fayette Expressway. The 2 hour drive you mentioned from Ashville to Charlotte is also under optimum conditions. Hit Charlotte during rush hour... add another 45 minutes. My wife's uncle lives in Ashville.

There is just no way you are going to compare UNC Charlotte with WVU.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 02-22-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 AM

327 posts, read 526,045 times
A thread of mine that received mentions of cities outside the state got slammed shut by someone, so I'm not sure how much longer this one will be allowed to stay open...

I'm wondering how people would characterize the overall tone/culture/sense of community--or whatever you would call it--of the cities suggested?

We can be somewhat flexible about population size per se. What we are less able to stretch on is wanting to be around friendly, intelligent/educated folks, respectful of all adult's independent autonomy.

Or, to put it another way, we don't want to be around the intolerant, inflict-your-beliefs-(no matter what they might be)-on-others, or if-you're-not-just-like-us-keep-walking.

People with an informed sense of history and who consider themselves citizens of the world. Who seek true freedom and empowerment for all; some place that's neither a hippie peace-out zone or an authoritarian hierarchy.

I wish I had better words for it than that, but hopefully I've been clear enough...

Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
A thread of mine that received mentions of cities outside the state got slammed shut by someone, so I'm not sure how much longer this one will be allowed to stay open...

I'm wondering how people would characterize the overall tone/culture/sense of community--or whatever you would call it--of the cities suggested?

We can be somewhat flexible about population size per se. What we are less able to stretch on is wanting to be around friendly, intelligent/educated folks, respectful of all adult's independent autonomy.

Or, to put it another way, we don't want to be around the intolerant, inflict-your-beliefs-(no matter what they might be)-on-others, or if-you're-not-just-like-us-keep-walking.

People with an informed sense of history and who consider themselves citizens of the world. Who seek true freedom and empowerment for all; some place that's neither a hippie peace-out zone or an authoritarian hierarchy.

I wish I had better words for it than that, but hopefully I've been clear enough...
WV is not in the south and for the most part a live and let live attitude pervadea the state.

The most educated and intellectual city is Morgantown. It also has a big international student population making it cosmopolitian for WV. Compared to other areas of the US youay find it lacking, but for wv it leads in these categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia