Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times

Advertisements

I figured WV wasnt happy .... cause every once in awhaile som Dumb Politician wants to GiveAway the Eastern Panhandle either back to VA or MD! Funny thing is I never heard anyone say get rid of the Northen Panhandle!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,972 times
This all sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

Some "social scientist" trying to justify their job. Some of those items just don't seem to me like they can conclude how happy I am.

Since January of this year, I have worked in PA, OH, TN, NY, and AZ. Just can't wait to get back to WV each trip.

We are one of few states not in debt like our Big Brother. We have great natural beauty. Relatively low cost of living in most areas compared to many other states. Yes, we need more jobs that pay decent wages but so does almost every other state.

Overall, they can take their survey and shove it as far as I am concerned.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:37 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I figured WV wasnt happy .... cause every once in awhaile som Dumb Politician wants to GiveAway the Eastern Panhandle either back to VA or MD! Funny thing is I never heard anyone say get rid of the Northen Panhandle!?!
Most of WV hates the EP, or the 3 counties that are part of the DC metro area. I never understood why.

Same problem with Morgantown.

The fact that politicians want to give away some of the strongest economic regions of WV tells you a lot about the state government.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
This love/hate relationship has some credible grounds.

When the capitol was changed from the floating riverboat whorehouse of the 1880's, Charleston was picked for the seat of government because it was far away...
Far away from Wheeling and Morgantown.

If the state college had been placed in Charleston, demographics would have been very different.

Our astute legislature of that day wanted to be as far from 'the people as possible.
They could do their work of carving up the pie with impunity.

One 'great one said after I-79 was built in the '70s..."Now they can get to us anytime they want."
And they/we do...
That actually would make sense.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I just started a hate group centered around bashing NCWV. We meet every Thursday night and wear our colors to show unity. We are so bored and depressed here in Charleston that we only worry about what is happening in the booming metropolis of NCWV.
What are our colors? Sounds like fun, might make me happy.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:04 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,949,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
For what it's worth, it's usually the law makers FROM the Eastern Panhandle that push going back to Virginia or going to Maryland. This, to my knowledge, has never been initiated by lawmakers from other areas of the state. Here's the most recent example :

Residents of Berkeley, Jefferson and Morgan counties would cast nonbinding votes on whether to secede from West Virginia under legislation proposed Friday by an Eastern Panhandle lawmaker.

The bill introduced by freshman Delegate Larry Kump seeks to ask voters whether they want to become part of neighboring Virginia.

Stressing it’s nonbinding nature, the Berkeley County Republican said the measure would provide “some advice and consent on this issue.” He cited West Virginia’s poor showing in economic rankings.

Lawmaker seeks nonbinding vote for 3 counties to leave W.Va. - The Herald Dispatch

Old 03-04-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
For what it's worth, it's usually the law makers FROM the Eastern Panhandle that push going back to Virginia or going to Maryland. This, to my knowledge, has never been initiated by lawmakers from other areas of the state. Here's the most recent example :

Residents of Berkeley, Jefferson and Morgan counties would cast nonbinding votes on whether to secede from West Virginia under legislation proposed Friday by an Eastern Panhandle lawmaker.

The bill introduced by freshman Delegate Larry Kump seeks to ask voters whether they want to become part of neighboring Virginia.

Stressing it’s nonbinding nature, the Berkeley County Republican said the measure would provide “some advice and consent on this issue.” He cited West Virginia’s poor showing in economic rankings.

Lawmaker seeks nonbinding vote for 3 counties to leave W.Va. - The Herald Dispatch
Well, the EP is ignored by the state government, and hated by the rest of the state, except NCWV and the Northern Panhandle. It doesnt help that some people want to sell them, or even give them away for free, to another state. There is a growing secessionist movement in parts of WV due to bad treatment by the rest of the state,

Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Several of the EP counties would do very well to be part of Virginia again.

Most of the anguish centers on teacher pay...or the lack of it in Wv.

Virginia and Maryland teachers get almost 3 times the wage and education reinbursement for their Masters and Doctorates.

Wvians get the ha ha ha....

Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Several of the EP counties would do very well to be part of Virginia again.

Most of the anguish centers on teacher pay...or the lack of it in Wv.

Virginia and Maryland teachers get almost 3 times the wage and education reinbursement for their Masters and Doctorates.

Wvians get the ha ha ha....
Of course they dont pay teachers more in WV. That money is reserved for politicians, the companies who own the politicians, and a little money to bribe certain areas of WV to win over their votes.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 PM

552 posts, read 738,514 times
Interesting article, I don't think we are going anywhere. Sounds to me like the politician was just trying to incite a debate. I think the capital should move to Morgantown or clarksburg, would make more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia