U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:46 PM

922 posts, read 1,022,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Under the settlement filed by the Justice Department in federal court, the city will separate its sanitary wastewater and storm sewers at an estimate cost of $16 million to $23 million. In addition, the city will work toward upgrading its treatment plant and monitoring system.

The EPA says about 400,000 gallons of raw sewage had been discharged annually in Welch.

Welch agrees to eliminate sewer overflows - WVVA TV Bluefield Beckley WV News, Weather and Sports

Gross
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 04:50 PM

552 posts, read 668,411 times
Thats great glad they are doing that, just hope they hire locally. I remember living in the small town of romney they would put in large projects, but never create one job in the county. It was usually at least wv though, but sometimes md.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:26 PM

922 posts, read 1,022,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Thats great glad they are doing that, just hope they hire locally. I remember living in the small town of romney they would put in large projects, but never create one job in the county. It was usually at least wv though, but sometimes md.
I doubt there is a qualified contractor for the project in McDowell

Old 03-02-2012, 07:33 PM

552 posts, read 668,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
I doubt there is a qualified contractor for the project in McDowell
True, but it would be nice if they could hire general labor employees on a temporary basis.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:45 PM

6,347 posts, read 8,903,586 times
State government wouldnt do anything, so the federal government had to step in.

Story of WV.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:01 AM

5,279 posts, read 7,411,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
State government wouldnt do anything, so the federal government had to step in.

Story of WV.
Ohh I'm sorry, for a minute I thought we were talking about Southern WV not getting state money.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Ohh I'm sorry, for a minute I thought we were talking about Southern WV not getting state money.
No, the state didnt care about the problem, because no was lobbying them/bribing them.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM

5,279 posts, read 7,411,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
No, the state didnt care about the problem, because no was lobbying them/bribing them.
I thought they were getting all of the money because the South is corrupt and takes away all of the hard earned money from NCWV? Because that is the case you've made for the past year.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I thought they were getting all of the money because the South is corrupt and takes away all of the hard earned money from NCWV? Because that is the case you've made for the past year.
Chriss, what are you talking about?

I dont see how NCWV, or Morgantown is relevant to this topic.

It does prove my point that there are some people in this forum who have to bring up NCWV in a negative light in every conversation, regardless of its relevance.

Now, Chris if you can find how this relates to NCWV please share it with us.

Now, what I get from this story is there was a serious problem in this town, the state and local government didn't care about it, so the federal government came in and told them to fix it. It does speak volumes about the corrupt and incompetent WV government. What is it they do here, other than embezzle state funds into their own pockets and private interest?

I see no need to make this a region vs region or a city vs city issue. Their corruption hurts the whole state, including Charleston. In fact there is no city in WV that is so reliant on the state as a whole as Charleston, and the city has suffered with the economic and demographic decline of WV. So perhaps you should try to focus on the real problem, which is the state government, instead of letting them distract you by focusing your anger towards Morgantown.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:45 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
How about focusing on the county? Industry collapsed there decades ago, resulting in ~75% of the population fleeing. About half of all the kids are living in poverty. Their schools got so bad that eventually the state did step in.

Until the county manages to attract some business and get some people coming in and spending money (and no, some trails for the locals to ride their four wheelers on isn't going to cut it), they will continue to be plagued with problems. Why fix the sewer system when you don't have the money, the whole county is a disgusting cesspool anyway, and people are fleeing as fast as they can?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia