U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
1 posts, read 1,855 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi, All! My husband and I are looking to purchase a property in WV. We have found a house in Mathias not too far from Wardensville and we would love any info on the area/s that you are so inclined to give.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
389 posts, read 750,931 times
Reputation: 204
Well, truth be told, Mathias and Wardensville are pretty far apart. Both are pretty far from civilization so I hope you're not expecting anything different. The Mathias area is beautiful country. It's very sparsely populated. The "town" itself sits in a little valley surrounded by farms with mountains on either side. From there, you're about 45 minutes from Harrisonburg, Virginia for amenities, which isn't too bad by rural West Virginia standards. Hardy County has seen a respectable amount of growth as of late. A lot of the growth seen in that part of the county has occurred with the emergence of Lost River as an increasingly popular resort for the DC area gay population. Wardensville--further north--is a little town along Corridor H with closer proximity to Winchester and Front Royal. I'm not all that familiar with that area, just more so than any of the other regular posters on this forum. If you have any further questions I'd be glad to help you as best I can!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 PM
 
306 posts, read 579,621 times
Reputation: 92
If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Mathias over Wardensville. Like the above poster said, it is a beautiful country out here. I am personally in Lost River myself which is beautiful as well, but I'm not from DC, lol..if you get what I mean.

We have the happy medium of choosing to "shop" in Winchester or Harrisonburg, both about the same distance, but I prefer Harrisonburg since I work in Winchester and choose not to travel back there to shop. I am praying for some upcoming growth though..specifically a medical center.

The distance between Wardensville and Mathias is approx. 35 minutes, not bad. Nice view traveling on Corridor H to get to Mathias.

I can answer more questions too if you have them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Inwood
552 posts, read 697,129 times
Reputation: 254
I'm from Romney and my wife is from Baker. Personally Mathias and Wardensville is to secluded for me, but that may be what you are looking for. If coridor H ever gets finished and is connected to 81 Wardensville would be great, but I wouldnt count on it. I say go for it though if you enjoy a rural area. The people there are great, as mentioned above most people shop in winchester or harrisburg. You also have moorefield, wv which has a walmart and some mom and pop shops. EA hawse is a popular place for medical care and dental care, east hardy middle and east hardy high are located near ea hawse in baker. My wife went to school there, it seemed like they really do not challenge their students, my wifes graduating class only had 40 to 60 students. The plus side is you are sure to make the football team. I think there is a small restaurant in Wardensville. Hardy county is actually growing quickly on the eastern end along with other nearby counties, so it is probably a good investment compared to other parts of the state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Inwood
552 posts, read 697,129 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Mathias over Wardensville. Like the above poster said, it is a beautiful country out here. I am personally in Lost River myself which is beautiful as well, but I'm not from DC, lol..if you get what I mean.

We have the happy medium of choosing to "shop" in Winchester or Harrisonburg, both about the same distance, but I prefer Harrisonburg since I work in Winchester and choose not to travel back there to shop. I am praying for some upcoming growth though..specifically a medical center.

The distance between Wardensville and Mathias is approx. 35 minutes, not bad. Nice view traveling on Corridor H to get to Mathias.

I can answer more questions too if you have them.
I think growth will come that way. Strasburg has really had a lot of growth. I think Capon Bridge and wardensville will see growth faster then other parts of hardy and hampshire. Moorefield is one place i don't like visiting, it just has that smell from pilgrims or whatever it is called. Sure they provide jobs, but they don't give back anything to the community, same is true for american woodmark. Not to mention they hire illegal immigrants and don't even try to hide the fact. They also are pretty open about firing you if you even mention a union.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
389 posts, read 750,931 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
I think growth will come that way. Strasburg has really had a lot of growth. I think Capon Bridge and wardensville will see growth faster then other parts of hardy and hampshire. Moorefield is one place i don't like visiting, it just has that smell from pilgrims or whatever it is called. Sure they provide jobs, but they don't give back anything to the community, same is true for american woodmark. Not to mention they hire illegal immigrants and don't even try to hide the fact. They also are pretty open about firing you if you even mention a union.
Growth already is coming that way. If you look at the latest census data, Hardy County and (especially) Hampshire County are growing pretty rapidly as Winchester has become a huge exurban satellite city of DC. They built a new middle school in Capon Bridge not too long ago and I wouldn't be surprised if Hampshire County needs another high school within the next ten years or so. A lot of those kids already have to travel really far to get to Hampshire High. I've only been through Moorefield a handful of times but, I agree, the chicken plant does stink. In the last couple years, they've been a poster child for animal cruelty ever since PETA sent someone in undercover and discovered gross mistreatment of the chickens (spitting tobacco in their eyes, stomping on and kicking them, etc.). It does provide jobs for miles around, but I wouldn't want it in my backyard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Inwood
552 posts, read 697,129 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Growth already is coming that way. If you look at the latest census data, Hardy County and (especially) Hampshire County are growing pretty rapidly as Winchester has become a huge exurban satellite city of DC. They built a new middle school in Capon Bridge not too long ago and I wouldn't be surprised if Hampshire County needs another high school within the next ten years or so. A lot of those kids already have to travel really far to get to Hampshire High. I've only been through Moorefield a handful of times but, I agree, the chicken plant does stink. In the last couple years, they've been a poster child for animal cruelty ever since PETA sent someone in undercover and discovered gross mistreatment of the chickens (spitting tobacco in their eyes, stomping on and kicking them, etc.). It does provide jobs for miles around, but I wouldn't want it in my backyard.
Great points, I graduated from Hampshire and grew up in Romney. They definitely need a new high school I knew kids that lived in yellow springs and had at least an hour drive on a bus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 AM
 
306 posts, read 579,621 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Great points, I graduated from Hampshire and grew up in Romney. They definitely need a new high school I knew kids that lived in yellow springs and had at least an hour drive on a bus.
Shoot, I rode a bus for an hour when I lived in New Jersey..who would've thought..but then again, I lived in East Bumble&^% when I grew up there, lol..But, as an adult, I LOVE being rural, out in the country with nobody around!!!

And yes, Moorefield has a horrible stench!!! Pilgrims Pride's smell takes over that town, but it nice to have the Walmart in a pinch!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
389 posts, read 750,931 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Great points, I graduated from Hampshire and grew up in Romney. They definitely need a new high school I knew kids that lived in yellow springs and had at least an hour drive on a bus.
That's always been our theory for why their football team is so bad. A lot of kids live really far out in the country and their families can't afford to go pick them up from after-school activities everyday, so they don't play. Would you say there's any truth to that? They're one of the West Virginia teams that my high school plays almost every year, along with Keyser, Frankfort, and sometimes Berkeley Springs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Inwood
552 posts, read 697,129 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
That's always been our theory for why their football team is so bad. A lot of kids live really far out in the country and their families can't afford to go pick them up from after-school activities everyday, so they don't play. Would you say there's any truth to that? They're one of the West Virginia teams that my high school plays almost every year, along with Keyser, Frankfort, and sometimes Berkeley Springs.
Yes very true, I played on the team and there were a lot of kids who played, but most were from the Romney area. I remember the biggest kids didn't play because they were out a ways. Yes we were horrible, always had great backs though. I think it also has a lot to do with the coaches, great guys though. When I played we had coach biser who coaches keyser, we also had brian wright who went off to play for wvu, we made the playoffs that year but lost to parkersburg. Moorefield has always been a good AA team and East Hardy was good for its size and the fact that they only have about 20 players, so they have to play both sides of the ball.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top