Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Inwood
552 posts, read 733,901 times
Reputation: 255

Advertisements

I am a registered independent who will most likely vote for Obama in the general election. However, I was wondering who was planning on voting in the West Virginia primary and who you think is a better candidate for West Virginia specifically. Honestly I think all the candidates are horrible and not sure why better candidates never came forward. For example I think Chris Cristie would have made a good candidate. It looks like Romney is going to win the primary, but think he is actually a horrible candidate for WV due to him not really understanding the working poor. Santurum will probably win WV because he talks more about blue collar workers and is socially conservative. If I had to pick it would be Romney, but I find it funny that the gop actually thinks this guy is a conservative, he is as moderate as they come, which is a good thing in my opinion. I think the primary is May 8th...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 AM
 
4,714 posts, read 13,263,334 times
Reputation: 1089
I've been reading what I can find about the candidates.

Romney's family were 'working poor in Mexico...

It's only been the last generation or two that has made any money...it seems that education caused that.

I also think this thread needs to be placed in politics.

I liked Herman Cain because of his success and speaking ability...too many women....just like JFK and Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 10:08 AM
 
10,147 posts, read 14,961,457 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
I am a registered independent who will most likely vote for Obama in the general election. However, I was wondering who was planning on voting in the West Virginia primary and who you think is a better candidate for West Virginia specifically. Honestly I think all the candidates are horrible and not sure why better candidates never came forward. For example I think Chris Cristie would have made a good candidate. It looks like Romney is going to win the primary, but think he is actually a horrible candidate for WV due to him not really understanding the working poor. Santurum will probably win WV because he talks more about blue collar workers and is socially conservative. If I had to pick it would be Romney, but I find it funny that the gop actually thinks this guy is a conservative, he is as moderate as they come, which is a good thing in my opinion. I think the primary is May 8th...
So, you think Obama understands the working poor? He is propped up by super rich leftists from Chicago, none of whom have ever gotten their hands dirty. Of all the candidates in either party, Santorum is the populist. We need to vote out all the greedy elitists and their puppets, regardless of which "party" they represent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Inwood
552 posts, read 733,901 times
Reputation: 255
I would rather debate politics then charleston vs morgantown. Well Obama grew up poorer then Romney, but now obviously he has money. Romney is rich and always has been, not that this is always a bad thing, just seems out of touch as they say. Santorum would be a much better candidate if he would stop talking like rush limbaugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM
 
79,896 posts, read 43,823,718 times
Reputation: 17175
I'm voting for Ron Paul. Has Obama ever set foot in the state? Obama may claim to care for the poor but he doesn't care one whit about WV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Inwood
552 posts, read 733,901 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm voting for Ron Paul. Has Obama ever set foot in the state? Obama may claim to care for the poor but he doesn't care one whit about WV.
Unfortunately most politicians don't visit the state, I'm not a historian but I know we made an impression on JFK, but we were kind of the scapegoat for the war on poverty. Obama did come to WV during his 2008 campaign, I think he went to Beckley. I don't see Obama winning the state, which is weird since we voted for clinton and I think we are middle of the road, but he lost here pretty bad last election. Ron Paul is the most conservative and gets the least amount of respect in the media. I think he would make a good candidate for the republicans, but not so much for me. The reason being that he wants everything privatized, including our school system. Our schools are not the best, but can't see justification for making the whole system private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 PM
rfp
 
333 posts, read 686,335 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
... I don't see Obama winning the state, which is weird since we voted for clinton and I think we are middle of the road, but he lost here pretty bad last election.
Nope. WV is 25-30% more right wing-nut oriented than the average state, right down there with Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, OK & TX, and other southern states with above average voter intelligence. That is how we in the north and east view WV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 PM
 
79,896 posts, read 43,823,718 times
Reputation: 17175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
Nope. WV is 25-30% more right wing-nut oriented than the average state, right down there with Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, OK & TX, and other southern states with above average voter intelligence. That is how we in the north and east view WV.
It's too bad that we can't discuss this without the needless name calling. Your second post and you have to resort to this crap?

You know..... you don't have to resort to name calling just because someone may have an opinion different than yours.

But yes, southern states do likely have an above average voter intelligence, just like you note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Morgantown, WV
42 posts, read 71,651 times
Reputation: 21
Start talking about cutting Medicaid, SSI, and SNAP, and we'll see how conservative those West Virginians are.


I'm not eligible to vote in the WV Republican primary, but I plan to vote for Gary Johnson in the general election (assuming he secures the Libertarian Party's nomination).

Last edited by Bartleby00; 03-08-2012 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
254 posts, read 200,897 times
Reputation: 146
All of the Republican candidate are ****ing horrible.

Mitt Romney - Millionaire corporate shill
Rick Santorum aka Adolf Hitler Jr. - Anti-gay, anti-women, racist, Christian fascist who wants to take us back to the 13th century
Newt Gingrich - ******* who wants to "defend the scantily of marriage" from the "evil gays" while at the same time cheated on two of his three wifes. Also moon base.
Ron Paul - Anti-gay, anti-women, racist creationist old coot. Only good positions Paul has is ending war in Afghanistan, legalizing weed and prostitution, and is against the death penalty. Besides that all of his other political positions are horrendous.

If you vote for any of these candidates you need to have your ****ing head checked.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top