Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

The vast majority of people that are competitive in the workplace had their summers off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
It's this sort of complacency that has caused the U.S. to slip further into mediocrity as it compares to the rest of the world.

The website I draw upon is here; Education Ratings United States vs Industrialized World

The following is our ranking out of 40 nations.

Math 28 Reading 18 Science 22 Problem Solving 29
Discipline and work is what's desperately needed not months of time off .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommy0510 View Post
I am completely against year round school. I want my kids at home with me as much as possible and they are already in school long enough. Why would you want your kid to sit in a hot class room in 80 and 90 degree weather instead of being at home enjoyig playing? People want kids to grow up too fast and not let them be kids. If year round school passes in Raleigh county I will pull my daughter out and homeschool her. If you dont want to take care of your kids then there is summer camps and even day care but trying to make them sit in school all the time is stupid. Did you want to sit in school all the time when you went? I know I didn't. I looked forward to summer vacation and playing outside and sleeping in. People need to let kids be kids and quit trying to make them into adults at early ages.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:16 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommy0510 View Post
I am completely against year round school. I want my kids at home with me as much as possible and they are already in school long enough. Why would you want your kid to sit in a hot class room in 80 and 90 degree weather instead of being at home enjoyig playing? People want kids to grow up too fast and not let them be kids. If year round school passes in Raleigh county I will pull my daughter out and homeschool her. If you dont want to take care of your kids then there is summer camps and even day care but trying to make them sit in school all the time is stupid. Did you want to sit in school all the time when you went? I know I didn't. I looked forward to summer vacation and playing outside and sleeping in. People need to let kids be kids and quit trying to make them into adults at early ages.
They spend the same amount of time in and out of school. Their vacation is just broken into smaller periods 1-3 weeks at a time, several times a year, instead of one long 3 month period where they forget everything.
Our current system is based off a time where the kids were needed to work the fields in the summer. They werent sleeping in and playing, but working very hard to farm.

Those times are over.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
They spend the same amount of time in and out of school. Their vacation is just broken into smaller periods 1-3 weeks at a time, several times a year, instead of one long 3 month period where they forget everything.
I never forgot everything.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I never forgot everything.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,444 times
Year around school is NOT a good idea. I will not subject my kids to this educational system if Raleigh County goes to this. Personally, I would relocate first. I have researched both the current system and year around statistics and there is no evidence that kids learn or retain more with year around schooling. Most parents that are in favor of this change just want a baby sitter for their kids- let's face it. When you have kids you must be willing and able to accept responsibility for them. This means in the summer time too. Kids spend too much time in front of video games, computer, and TV now. Don't take away more time from them while the weather is acceptable for outside activities. (This) part of the educational system isn't broken, so why try to fix it?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa J View Post
Year around school is NOT a good idea. I will not subject my kids to this educational system if Raleigh County goes to this. Personally, I would relocate first. I have researched both the current system and year around statistics and there is no evidence that kids learn or retain more with year around schooling. Most parents that are in favor of this change just want a baby sitter for their kids- let's face it. When you have kids you must be willing and able to accept responsibility for them. This means in the summer time too. Kids spend too much time in front of video games, computer, and TV now. Don't take away more time from them while the weather is acceptable for outside activities. (This) part of the educational system isn't broken, so why try to fix it?
First off in year round schooling they have just as much time off. So much for your babysitter argument.

Also the American school system is broken and has been for sometime.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
First off in year round schooling they have just as much time off. So much for your babysitter argument.

Also the American school system is broken and has been for sometime.
Taking advantage of the one thing we might actually agree on, I'm glad you support year round schooling.

How do you feel about school uniforms?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Taking advantage of the one thing we might actually agree on, I'm glad you support year round schooling.

How do you feel about school uniforms?
We agree on more than you think.

Year round schooling is all together a more practical and better system. The current summer break system is based on letting students out to work the fields in summer, something which doesnt really happen anymore.

I can understand someone not supporting year round schooling, but the arguments presented in this thread are pure BS. Mostly it is, "poor kids deserve a break." What people dont understand is they get just as much time off as they do with summer break, but it is spread out throughout the year. In fact they might actually get more time off with year around schooling.

The main problem is an aversion to new ideas. The whole, "if it aint broke dont fix it," mentality is stupid. Even if it were and education was not broken, which it is, that is still a poor excuse for not doing something better. Civilizations and cultures like China and the Arabs were once MUCH more advanced than the Europeans, but they adopted the, "well things are good so lets stop improving," attitude. As a result the West became the dominant civilization. As Americans and WVians we should work to improve our state instead of stagnating.

As for uniforms, I have mixed feelings. I would have HATED them, and I was not a flashy dresser. However, I see the merits in it. It creates a more disciplined environment where the students are not competing to have the best designer clothes, show off their wealth, or set themselves apart just through clothes. It eliminates a BIG source of difference that divides the students. I do have libertarian leanings, but seriously they are kids. When they are outside of school they can wear whatever they want, and when they are adults.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 AM

166 posts, read 362,929 times
I'm in the Eastern Panhandle and would love to have year-round school around here. To the previous poster who wants to let kids be kids and not have to grow up too fast, what does the school schedule have to do with that? I personally would love for my son to enjoy all the seasons. I'd like to be able to take family vacations together and go hiking or camping in the spring and fall, and I love the beach during the off season, then there's skiing in the winter and indoor waterparks year-round. I'd love to be able to vacation without the crowds and sweltering heat, but unless you want your child to miss school, that's what we're stuck with right now. Plus I completely agree with prior comments about kids getting burnt out from too many straight weeks of school without a break. It's all about "balance".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia