Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

Will be making the trek over to Harpers Ferry/Charles Town area tomorrow (sorry for late notice), and was wondering where might be a good place to catch a bite to eat. Me and my two friends are not looking at spending an arm and a leg on lunch, but don't want Wendy's or McD's either. And to be honest, a restaurant in either Martinsburg or Shepardstown is not out of the question. Just need some quick help, but if not I'm sure we will find a place to eat.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM

27 posts, read 70,102 times
I like Mi Degollado in the Food Lion shopping center & Brothers Pizza in the Wal Mart shopping center. Mezaluna is also good, but costs a little more.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM

552 posts, read 738,241 times
Just saw your message you probably already have came and went, but shepherdstown is the place to eat. Hope you enjoyed your visit let us know what you thought.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Just saw your message you probably already have came and went, but shepherdstown is the place to eat. Hope you enjoyed your visit let us know what you thought.
Actually We saw the weather channel, and decided to go to Pittsburgh instead. Harpers Ferry will have to wait.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:09 PM

385 posts, read 1,920,237 times
Well,

I live in Shepherdstown (about a 10 mile drive from Charles Town/Harpers Ferry). There are TONS of places to eat in just a few square blocks.

Here's a rundown (alphabetically):

The Bavarian Inn - The Bavarian Inn is an upscale chalet/inn on the Potomac. They also have an equally upscale restaurant and bar. They feature some German dishes, but they serve regular upscale fare as well (it is also worth visiting during their Wild Game Festival). If you don't want to be admonished for casual clothing, go to the basement bar, The Rathskeller. It has the same menu, but is more casual.

Betty's - The towns infamous greasy spoon. On weekends, you'll find yourself on a waiting list because it gets pretty busy. They have the best sausage gravy (self proclaimed) and whatever you order there will leave you stuffed. They are a cash only establishment (but they have an ATM), and they are only open for breakfast and lunch.

Bistro 112 - This used to be the Stone Soup Bistro, but they changed owners and the format is now French.

The Blue Moon Cafe - This quirky cafe is a fun place to get unique dishes in a fun, bohemian atmosphere. On nice days, you can sit out on the patio that is built next to Town Run, the stream that runs through Shepherdstown.

China Kitchen - This Chinese Restaurant offers both "American" Chinese favorites and Sushi.

The Devonshire Arms Cafe & Pub - Personally, my favorite place to eat because they have great food and are inexpensive. It is an authentic (meaning the owner is from Devon, England) British restaurant. They have the best Fish & Chips and best quality draft beer in town (IMHO).

Kazu - This restaurant has a nice atmosphere. They serve both Thai and Japanese cuisine.

Lost Dog Coffee - Is a quirky coffee/tea shop that offers a fun selection of coffee drinks and baked goods.

Maria's Taqueria - One thing the college students at Shepherd University complained about was the lack of a burrito joint nearby (and the closing of California Tortilla in Ranson made things worse, just ask Spunkydawg, lol). So, to meet the demand, Maria opened up her own taco/burrito place. It's small place, with only a few tables, but the food is good.

The Mecklenburg Inn - Although most think of this place as a straight up bar, they also occasionally serve food (depending on whether or not the cooking staff is in). They have the best burger in town hands down. The atmosphere is wonderful, at night, a variety of rock and jazz bands perform here and the inside is very bar-like, but on nice days, it is really worth hanging out in the back patio. Say hi to B.K. (Bar Kat), the resident orange kitty if you go!

Mellow Moods Cafe and Juice Bar - This little company had to fight to keep their name. Bob Marley's family tried to sue them for having the same name as one of their products (even though the cafe had the name first). The Marley family lost, and Mellow Moods is now still Mellow Moods. This little cafe is a good place to get smoothies and juice drinks, they also offer a wide selection of vegan/vegetarian sandwiches and light fare.

The Press Room - A classy restaurant with posh entrees. I actually haven't eaten here yet, so I can't say a lot about it.

Rumsey Tavern - This bar & grill is located on the first floor of the Clarion Hotel (you have to go through the main reception area to get to it) off Duke Street. They have very good appetizers and sandwiches and have a relaxed atmosphere and is probably the best place to sit down and watch a sports event during your meal.

Shaharazade's Restaurant & Tea Room - This is a wonderful place with a wonderful atmosphere. The theme is Middle Eastern, with menu items that vary between Persian, Indian and Mediterranean. The selection of iced and hot teas is extensive and I've never been disappointed with either the food or the tea. If it's hot out, try their unusual featured iced tea of the day.

Shepherdstown Sweet Shop - This place is more of a bakery, but you can get a cup of coffee and a muffin.

Tony's Pizza / Stonewall's Pub - This is the town's obligatory pizza joint. They have the standard pizza joint fare: pizza, burgers, subs, wings, etc. Stonewall's is in the basement, and it's your typical basement bar type place. They are very popular with the college kids and it gets busy at times. They also have a pool table and a little room with slot machines in the back. On nice days, you can go out to the backyard bar and enjoy the weather.

Tuscany Grille - I haven't been to this Italian restaurant also found in the Clarion Hotel (see Rumsey Tavern). The restaurant seems upscale and probably has amazing food. I hope to try them out sometime soon.

The Yellow Brick Bank - On the corner of Princess and German Streets, this restaurant's architecture sets it apart from other restaurants. It used to be the old bank long long ago. They a landmark in Shepherdstown, but I can't say I've eaten here because they are quite pricey.

The Yorkshire Pub - This has a very metropolitan atmosphere and has a very metropolitan menu. Though they do serve some traditional British fare, they mostly have your standard gastropub style menu. I haven't eaten at the Yorkshire, though I have gone for cocktails.

It's hard to believe that there are so many restaurants in one little town!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 PM

552 posts, read 738,241 times
Great list, I havent had time to check these places out but will when I get a chance.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
In CT its self....Golden Corral! In Harpers Ferry the Iron Horse! Coffee Mill!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Direction View Post
The Blue Moon Cafe - This quirky cafe is a fun place to get unique dishes in a fun, bohemian atmosphere. On nice days, you can sit out on the patio that is built next to Town Run, the stream that runs through Shepherdstown.
x2!! Love that place. Good vegetarian options too.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM

27 posts, read 70,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
In CT its self....Golden Corral! In Harpers Ferry the Iron Horse! Coffee Mill!

Golden Corral hasn't been open for years. It is now a Chinese restaurant with a nasty (imo) buffet.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
LOL Well you can tell the Last time I was in CT! OK Same shopping center Next to Goodwill was a nice little cafe... Not talking about Pizza place! IF the Cafe is still there they had great food for reasonable price!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia