Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 AM

1,229 posts, read 859,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Now we're on to the major reno, ripped out the kitchen cabs and 2 layers of vinyl flooring yesterday. Really annoyed at not yet being able to secure a contractor, but interviewing one tomorrow. Evidently someone forgot to tell the residents of the EP that there's a recession on because everyone I've interviewed is booked until December. Hardwood flooring contractors booked, too - I've talked to several. A couple of contractors won't even return my phone calls.

Anyone want to add to my list of contractors - flooring + interior remodeling work - please send 'em my way. Its not a crazy big reno - just some framing and wall removal which will involve moving and adding some wiring. Kitchen appliance/plumbing layout remains the same.

Advice on good hardwood flooring products/brands/installers - pre-finished - would be enormously appreciated. Don't think I'm getting the honest word from the flooring companies/contractors and online reviews don't seem to be available (except for Lumber Liquidators, but EVERYONE is telling me to stay away from there!)
My greatest success has been using craigslist for all of the above. I wait for the worst time of the year when most contractors are out of work, and then advertise for a ''skilled carpenter''. When you pay for a contractor out of the yellow pages - you're paying for guy that has too much self-esteem, a brand new Carhartt Jacket, a new 50k diesel pickup and three different smartphone accounts. Sure....the job gets completely correctly - but make no mistake YOU ARE GOING TO PAY FOR IT.

I try to find an out of work tradesman, who does not believe he's God's gift to the building industry -- and both pull the permits and supervise the job myself. I've had fabulous success revamping 6 different homes and 3 different commercial buildings.

As for the flooring....I'd watch craigslist or put an add there seeking high quality, reclaimed, wood flooring---not engineered stuff. Someone, somewhere, close by has torn down a vintage building and has the flooring/siding etc sitting in the garage ready for sale. Have it run through a planer and you are good to go. You now have flooring that is ten times better than this ''engineered'' garbage you're seeing at Home Depot, etc.

PS --- I have no problem helping contribute to a new Carhartt Jacket - But I try to stay away from helping out with the payments for a new Dodge Diesel Dually or a Ford Powerstroke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 AM

114 posts, read 203,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
PS --- I have no problem helping contribute to a new Carhartt Jacket - But I try to stay away from helping out with the payments for a new Dodge Diesel Dually or a Ford Powerstroke
Thank you so much for this advice, At-Chilles! You are so SPOT ON with your comments! One of the booked-up thru- December contractors I interviewed last week had a massive diesel truck like you describe, has only been in the biz about 10 years, and thought my project was huge - which it is NOT! Then offered to work hourly for "this and that" at $50/hour. The best of the best in Richmond charge $50/hr - contractors with 30 yrs experience.

Also, yesterday I finally got a call back from a very well-respected flooring guy and he was so knowledgeable and helpful! We both liked him very much, and he didn't put us off until December like the another flooring guy I met earlier this week. That first guy was going to sell me some of that pre-finished stuff, and I almost bought into it, but then starting having second thoughts.

Also, yesterday's flooring guy recommended a couple of contractors to us, both extremely well-qualified and reasonably priced. One of them is coming out today, and right after that I have another one coming who also is very highly recommended.

So I'm feeling a lot more hopeful. I wish I had the luxury of waiting for a slow time in the biz, but I think we're going to come out okay.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybakin247 View Post
Thank you so much for this advice, At-Chilles! You are so SPOT ON with your comments! One of the booked-up thru- December contractors I interviewed last week had a massive diesel truck like you describe, has only been in the biz about 10 years, and thought my project was huge - which it is NOT! Then offered to work hourly for "this and that" at $50/hour. The best of the best in Richmond charge $50/hr - contractors with 30 yrs experience.

Also, yesterday I finally got a call back from a very well-respected flooring guy and he was so knowledgeable and helpful! We both liked him very much, and he didn't put us off until December like the another flooring guy I met earlier this week. That first guy was going to sell me some of that pre-finished stuff, and I almost bought into it, but then starting having second thoughts.

Also, yesterday's flooring guy recommended a couple of contractors to us, both extremely well-qualified and reasonably priced. One of them is coming out today, and right after that I have another one coming who also is very highly recommended.

So I'm feeling a lot more hopeful. I wish I had the luxury of waiting for a slow time in the biz, but I think we're going to come out okay.

Many of contractors out there still haven't caught on yet.....We have a declining service economy and they still want to charge Wall Street-induced-false-boom prices.

Some folks will just pay the first guy/bid because they're financing the project and they think they will obtain peace of mind. I am glad you are not one of them.

I want to make one correction though : I don't want to denigrate all of the building supply stores as your source for flooring. They do have good flooring products --- It's just wading through them all for he best. Many times when you think you're buying wood flooring - what you are actually getting is a very thin layer of wood on top with an emulsified, composite sawdust/fiberboard product underneath.

That's why I like re-claimed wood flooring from old torn down, vintage buildings - It's much denser and, as you know yourself, in many of these vintage homes the wood was used in the bathrooms too. It's very durable and has endured the true test of time.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM

Could use some referrals for contractors I need for a couple of things. I've been gathering quotes for a mini-split heat/air cond system in my 400 sf garage. I'm getting prices from $3500 to $5500 - much much more than I ever thought one of those systems should cost. Any thoughts/advice/referrals would be much appreciated.

Also, the vent boots need replaced/repaired and my contractor will not do roofing work. I have him busy enough with the interior reno. (It will be the end of the year before move-in, although we are staying at the house quite a bit now as it is.)

I got preliminary figures on my contractor's fee to date - he is doing a fantastic job and the reno is looking wonderful - his fee was unbelievably low. He will be receiving a nice bonus from me though! I had a quote of $50/hr from another contractor who is not nearly as capable, although he seems to have most of my neighbors fooled because he has a waiting list a mile long!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
Many of contractors out there still haven't caught on yet.....We have a declining service economy and they still want to charge Wall Street-induced-false-boom prices.

Some folks will just pay the first guy/bid because they're financing the project and they think they will obtain peace of mind. I am glad you are not one of them.
At-Chilles I believe you are quite right - the prices I'm being quoted for doing the simplest updates on my exterior are ridiculous. $4000 for labor/framing a small gable on my ranch home. Granted it has to tie in to the garage roofline that runs perpindicular to the main part of the house. That quote doesn't include the siding or the roof shingles. And $300 to install a small non-functioning cupola on a one-story home. Good grief! And a few of these guys act all interested and then I never hear from them again. One of them even scheduled a visit for 8:00a on a Saturday and did not even show up or return my phone calls. No one wants to do anything with the slightest bit of difficulty - just slap a deck on the back of the house or add an easy peasy screen porch and be done with it.

Evidently they are getting all the work they need right now. Come winter I expect some of these guys will be calling ME, instead of me calling THEM.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 883 times
I've really appreciated this thread and others like it. The information here as well as the general friendliness of folks has really helped convince me that I'd be happy in WV.

I'm relocating from the West Coat to Jefferson County and wanted to ask if anyone had any recommendations on local contractors in the area or whether to start for contractors. I'm looking to have some work done specifically finishing a basement, getting plumbing set up for a washer and dryer, some paintwork, and getting hardwood floors installed. Does anyone have any suggestions on local contractors or know where would be a good place to start? Being new to the area, I don't know how easy it will be to find someone to help with these repairs.

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 AM

22 posts, read 60,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoEastCoast View Post
I've really appreciated this thread and others like it. The information here as well as the general friendliness of folks has really helped convince me that I'd be happy in WV.

I'm relocating from the West Coat to Jefferson County and wanted to ask if anyone had any recommendations on local contractors in the area or whether to start for contractors. I'm looking to have some work done specifically finishing a basement, getting plumbing set up for a washer and dryer, some paintwork, and getting hardwood floors installed. Does anyone have any suggestions on local contractors or know where would be a good place to start? Being new to the area, I don't know how easy it will be to find someone to help with these repairs.

Thanks!
Welcome! Here is a good resource--the webpage for the Eastern Panhandle Home Builders Association:

eastern panhandle home builders association

I also had a great experience with my contractor, who redid our entire house last year, and who was named the Eastern Panhandle HBA's Builder of the Year last year. I'll send you his name and contact info in a private message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia