Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 PM

352 posts, read 796,730 times

Advertisements

Recently I read a book written by Huston Curtiss called "Sins of the 7th Sister"..it's a novel based on a true story. It's setting is early Elkins WV--(1920's/30's) ..it's endlessly entertaining but, very hard to believe some of the tales Mr. Curtiss relates. I'm wondering if anyone (this means you GottaHerdOn)...has read the book or actually knows if the story told is in any way factual? I enjoyed it and all of the historical information about Elkins and the area. Just curious....and thanks, in advance, for any comments you may have.
By the way,it's a good read, just some rather alarming "goings on".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
I have never heard of it actually.. But I googled it, and it does look interesting.. I stopped into the bookstore but apparently its out of print... so I'm buying it on Amazon... I'll read it at school during my planning period.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:57 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Anybody have any pictures of the leaves in Elkins? I missed my favorite time of year in WV because I'm going to school in Florida. Lucky for me I'm coming home for the weekend!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 AM

352 posts, read 796,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I have never heard of it actually.. But I googled it, and it does look interesting.. I stopped into the bookstore but apparently its out of print... so I'm buying it on Amazon... I'll read it at school during my planning period.

I actually got my copy of the book on Amazon as well. After reading it, I just really wondered if this family was in fact one of the prominent families in Elkins history. If so, WOW!
Huston Curtiss was evidentally a very precocious young boy and his family ,as you'll see, was into all that was happening in Elkins in those early years..
I'll be curious to hear your comments about this book! Hope you enjoy it! I couldn't put it down ....

Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
I ordered a copy from Amazon too, just waiting for it to arrive.

I read a lot of the reviews (both on Amazon and elsewhere) and... to say there's a lot of skepticism about some of the events would be an understatement.
Young Huston somehow always manages to be in the right place at the right time to witness just about everything that goes on.
Stella Roman, the opera singer, had a well-established career in Romania before coming to America. There's no indication that she started life as Stanley in Randolph County WV.
Newspapers of the day have nothing about the various shootings, etc., that Billy-Pearl was supposedly involved in.

But so what? It still sounds like an exciting novel set in and around Elkins.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:19 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,482 times
What a beautiful town!! I plan on visiting Elkins this coming winter and can hardly wait after viewing these lovely photos.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,992 times
Elkins is one of the most beautiful towns in WV, that part of the state is always clean and picturesque. But I got one question, what was the building that had the steel bars around the windows on top? Was that a old jail?

Old 11-24-2012, 04:09 PM

19 posts, read 22,871 times
these were awesome pics, living in Huntington, it's cool to see pictures from other parts of the state. I love seeing all these towns.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Elkins is one of the most beautiful towns in WV, that part of the state is always clean and picturesque. But I got one question, what was the building that had the steel bars around the windows on top? Was that a old jail?
No the old jail is behind the main courthouse building... it looks like a very similar smaller version of the courthouse. I'm not really sure what used to be in that building before... Apparently its a counseling office now or something. That's why there is that blue covering over the windows so people can't see in... I'll have to ask one of my older relatives what used to be there or why they have that cage thing.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
I didn't really want to start a thread just to ask one question and I remembered this one from the past so I thought I would ask it here.

I was in Elkins today. (it wasn't that long ago that I was last there). What happened to Scotties? I remember when it was pretty much the only fast food type restaurant in Elkins. It was pretty much a landmark IMO.

I see it's gone. Any story behind it getting torn down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia