Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:24 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times

Advertisements

At the risk of bringing all the kooks out of the woodwork, I think we should discuss this topic just for the imagery, wildness and even fantasy that indicates who we are as West Virginians...These are my experiences with these creatures...I believe that they really do exist...the search is on this year to find them in Wv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
Charleston Daily Mail - State News - Is Bigfoot in the Mountain State?*

Charleston Daily Mail article on the Sasquatch Search in Mountain Mama.

I have an open mind when it comes to Big Foot and Aliens, so i hope they find one.

What about Moth Man? Can't leave him out when talking about some of WV's finest creatures.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:47 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
They do exist... and they wear THESE!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Threerun533/mickeymouseboots.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 AM

In 1985, I was planning a fishing trip with my work crew to Pendelton County. That fishing trip would be by canoe thru a very remote part of the North Branch of the Potomac River. It would mean camping in that unaccessable region for two nights. After obtaining the topo and county maps for the area, I began to discuss the trip with a friend who had grown up in Grant County near Lunice Creek...His name was Frank K*******. Frank was very knowledgeable of the area and as a spelunker caver, and had mapped many of the uncharted caves in the area of Smokehole and the high country in general for the state of Wv.
When I told Frank of our pending fishing trip, he just laughed a little and said one thing...
"Make sure you are armed"...perplexed at this being a spring fishing trip and not wanting to take extra gear and possibly having it lost, I asked why...
He said, "There's a family of bigfoot living in that area."
The hair stood up on my neck...I knew Frank to be straight forward and not a person to tell a joke...like that one, anyway...He said, "If you don't want to take rifles take a big handgun...at least a .357." Frank was making our trip for great trout a little queasy.
The trip never happened...I had to change my work shift and work with a new crew and never got the chance to take that fishing trip with them...I've often wondered about it...what would lhave happened if we had gone and encountered a species of wildlife that I knew existed...how did I know that they existed? Here is that story.

In my Marine Corps days, I fell in love with a beauty from The Dalles, Oregon...she was going to nursing school in Yakima, Washington. When I got military leave, I came to visit her family in The Dalles. (I was a good hunter and had good eyes then...I can still spot game in the woods very well ,but in those days, I was at my physical peak)...Linda had a nursing project going on at the local nursing home with three geriatric patients. She asked me to go with her to visit them one evening before Christmas. We were driving on a secluded highway above The Dalles and it was beginning to spit a little snow. As I drove the car around a bend in the road, and my speed was not over 30 mph, I saw something standing in the Douglas Firs along the highway. This was not a main highway but an asphalt county road leading up to the hospital. The beast was standing and was looking straight at us...I pointed to it as we past...It was reddish brown in color...It was at least 7' tall and seemed to have no neck...I didn't stop, we went on...I was asking myself if this had been some trick...If it was my imagination at all. When we returned to her home, I asked Linda's father about what I had seen...He laughed too...and said they were real...He said in the 22 years that he had driven to his clothing store in Hood River, he had seen them three times...the most at one time he saw in a group was three. They would cross the interstate (I-84) and go to the river..(Columbia River).

All of this was kept in my mind until last fall...in talking to my brother about the old times we had in the mountains with dad...He related a story that happened when I was in the Marines and he was taking my place as a young buck hunting with our dad...It was in Hardy County, about 10 miles from town on the South Fork Road. They were near Wolf Mountain and the country was solid rock and sparse of woods...They were squirrel hunting and he was napping against a tree that overlooked a sheer ravine. He heard something moving in the leaves and it was loud enough to wake him up...On the other side of the ravine was a large apelike beast...its color was grayish black...It was definitely not a bear...He watched it crawl and climb up the otherside of the ravine...he said it was humanlike...and he did not make a sound or try to shoot it...

My personal opinion is this...these creatures exist...they will eventually be found and identified...camera technology will finally show proof of their existence...They probably should be ignored to live as any other creature does...but the chase is on and I expect the real experts to gather the evidence of their reality soon...I will make this prediction: This blog will be a great hit...thanks.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
x1x

227 posts, read 805,437 times
Interesting story about bigfoots!!! I grew up in N.J. and also did a lot of hunting/camping and overnight canoe/camping trips in the pine barrens, and here in the pine barrens we have what they call The Jersey Devil, To this day I have never seen any or any signs of any? Heres a link about them. The Jersey Devil

Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
Man, that Jersey Devil sounds similar to some of the Moth Man stories.

Good story DK, i like reading scary stories like that one. I would have pooped my pants if i had seen a Big Foot along the side of a road.

I've never seen anything abnormal in my life, yet i'm still keeping an open mind about the possibility of these species.

Another thing that i'm awaiting is some physical evidence of UFO's. Has anybody had a UFO sighting in WV? I haven't, but my grandmother told me a story that she had seen some strange lights on top the hill over the cemetary by the church one night. She lived in a rural part of Jackson County, and to see a flying object with bright lights late at night so close to the ground would not be normal.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:59 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
Pikes peak CO has bigfoot crossing signs. Be sure to post them on the roads if you do figure where they're hanging out. I had a good chuckle the whole way up that mountain.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:57 PM

Not me...when the tree line ended and I looked at the edge of the road where the guard rail ends so the winter avalanches can cross..the 'butt pucker factor' that pilots experience took effect and I closed my eyes for the next four miles...I missed those signs...and never intend to go up on that mountain again..to see them, the mountain goats or anything else....

Old 02-25-2008, 06:12 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,278 times
Last week, on a hilltop on I-79 somewhere south of Morgantown, my wife remarked about a section of the guardrail along the road that was bent. What we couldn't figure out was , how it got bent in towards the road. There was nothing but a dropoff on the other side so it couldn't have been done by a vehicle. Bigfoot or Mothman would make more sense. I'm just sayin;

Old 03-05-2008, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,857 times
Default bigfoot in the mountain state

I lived in WV for 23 years and never saw a bigfoot, but i have seen some odd things. Obscure looking large dogs, unexplained lights in the sky, ghosts, flashes across the roads(assumed to be deer), women with beards(only seen twice,and at the mall. was not confirmed to be a woman). i have seen some strange things in PA since i moved here too, but most of them are just residents. at the fair last year, i watched some "lights" streak across the sky, stop, paused changed directions a few times, and then took off. being a few years since i had taken anything to cause such an illusion, i questioned it for a few days, due to the lack of things to do or talk about in PA. the thing i look out for the most in pa....porcupines while on my motorcycle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia