Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times

Advertisements

I happened across this story, and think it is amazing! Students both can learn agricultural techniques as well as the importance of nutrition, and eat it too!

Tucker County High School Serves First Meal with Produce from New Greenhouse - WBOY.com: Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Last edited by elewis7; 04-19-2012 at 09:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 04:08 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
I was astonished to see this story.

Most of our high schools have had greenhouses for years....I mean 20 years or more.
I have bought my vegetable plants from them, and its a very worthy fund raiser for these schools.

I'm glad to see that Tucker County is finally in the mix.

Sadly, it did not mention hydroponic growing techniques, so I would say that is not being taught or done.

Greenhouses are so much fun...I had one with my first home and am considering adding one to the home I live in now.

And that brings up another potential use for the Marcellus gas...huge acres of greenhouses built on top of our southern counties leveled mountains heated by gas and providing fresh, disease free food for the country...
All a developer would need is the Mineral Rights to the gas and get it free.
That would make those greenhouses very feasable.

All the money wasted on those inifeceint Windfarms could be used to grow food.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I was astonished to see this story.

Most of our high schools have had greenhouses for years....I mean 20 years or more.
I have bought my vegetable plants from them, and its a very worthy fund raiser for these schools.

I'm glad to see that Tucker County is finally in the mix.

Sadly, it did not mention hydroponic growing techniques, so I would say that is not being taught or done.

Greenhouses are so much fun...I had one with my first home and am considering adding one to the home I live in now.

And that brings up another potential use for the Marcellus gas...huge acres of greenhouses built on top of our southern counties leveled mountains heated by gas and providing fresh, disease free food for the country...
All a developer would need is the Mineral Rights to the gas and get it free.
That would make those greenhouses very feasable.

All the money wasted on those inifeceint Windfarms could be used to grow food.
Wait, what? there isn't that much gas in southern WV. Also with the cost to create and staff facilities such as this, it would never be price competitive with year round outdoor growing regions like Cali, FLA, and central america. Also, the infrastructure in the region would need to be improved to accommodate the transportation needed to get the product to the processing facilities and/or stores.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
I think he was referring to using the cheap dry gas that is being extracted to heat the greenhouses in the colder months.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
The Marcellus field will produce gas for about 500 years.

A few thousand acres of greenhouses on worthless mountaintop land could go a long way in providing food and the processing plants could be built on site.

The huge trawlers that provide fish for our use flash freeze within minutes of the catch and makes for a very best quality.

I hope the Birdseye people see this blog.
There is a potential here to gain a foothold in a new industry twist.

What the planet Earth needs in the future is food and water....

Wv has the water in abundance...the food business needs cultivation and thought.
It's about money, a reasonable investment and a huge potential for profit.

Those southern counties could become a breadbasket of jobs and new revenue (where none now exists).

Just level the ground and extract the minerals that have value...the renewed, flat land then has potential for development and growth.

Not all of the land would need to be greenhouse vegatable plants...grains could be cultivated like the mid west...
Our climate is warming and changing for the better and a variation of grains could be produced.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
The Marcellus field will produce gas for about 500 years.

A few thousand acres of greenhouses on worthless mountaintop land could go a long way in providing food and the processing plants could be built on site.

The huge trawlers that provide fish for our use flash freeze within minutes of the catch and makes for a very best quality.

I hope the Birdseye people see this blog.
There is a potential here to gain a foothold in a new industry twist.

What the planet Earth needs in the future is food and water....

Wv has the water in abundance...the food business needs cultivation and thought.
It's about money, a reasonable investment and a huge potential for profit.

Those southern counties could become a breadbasket of jobs and new revenue (where none now exists).

Just level the ground and extract the minerals that have value...the renewed, flat land then has potential for development and growth.

Not all of the land would need to be greenhouse vegatable plants...grains could be cultivated like the mid west...
Our climate is warming and changing for the better and a variation of grains could be produced.
keep on dreaming, because its not going to happen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia