Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Don't listen to the naysayers. Do consider other options but the Prius C is a great car. (hint, batteries are recyclable). The batteries are also covered for 100,000 miles.

I looked at the Prius when I bought my car last year. Here were my general impressions. You can't beat a hybrid for in town driving. Nothing will touch the mileage there short of a full electric. I simply didn't like the way they have to make everything so, for a lack of a better word, thin to keep the weight down.

It will do fine on hills. No, it's not going to be the fastest but you will keep up with traffic which seems to be your big concern.

It sounds like costs are a concern (understandably so) but I ended up getting a VW TDI. I'm averaging about 45 mpg on this tank and I've hit as high as 52 on a trip. But you are looking at more money than the Prius C. (about the same for a regular Prius).

I've always been a VW and diesel fan though. I would absolutely own a Prius C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,972 times
You might want to read the current edition of Consumer Reports comparing high-mileage vehicles. They do NOT recommend Prius C. Recall something about lack of power so the C version would not be good for mountains.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:41 AM

552 posts, read 738,514 times
I ended up getting the prius c three in black,, it does ok on hills. I saw the consumer reports review, it was one of a select few that gave it an unfavorable view, they are not always spot on,especially considering this is an intro vehicle. I've been getting 60 mph in this thing driving conservatively, wife has been getting 55 in mountain country. First fill up at 515 miles only had to put in 8.7 gallons to fill it back up. Very satisfied with my purchase.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 AM

40 posts, read 104,825 times
I haven't been around here in a while, but here has been my experience with my Prius V 2012. I get around 47-48 mpg going from Berryville to Frederick everyday. I don't drive slow either, so you would probably get better mileage, plus the V model is larger.

On mountains, Power mode works fine going up. However, the B mode does not slow down enough on really steep mountain grades and you have to use the brake too much. That is why I won't take the Prius to Elkins WV. On the tiny mountains over this way, you would have no issues.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:04 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
If you are going to be driving a lot in WV I always recommend all-wheel drive in this state. I know they dont get the best gas milage, but it is better to spend more money than slide down a hill and off a mountain.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:56 PM

552 posts, read 738,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyHillbilly View Post
I haven't been around here in a while, but here has been my experience with my Prius V 2012. I get around 47-48 mpg going from Berryville to Frederick everyday. I don't drive slow either, so you would probably get better mileage, plus the V model is larger.

On mountains, Power mode works fine going up. However, the B mode does not slow down enough on really steep mountain grades and you have to use the brake too much. That is why I won't take the Prius to Elkins WV. On the tiny mountains over this way, you would have no issues.
Yea our area isn't to bad, going to Elkins in any car is rough, at least until they finish corridor h. The c doesn't have power mode, did you get the entune system, I haven't been to impressed with it. I do understand why people get the awd on the mountains, have not understood why the guy making 30,000 a year gets a brand new 40,000 truck with no hauling needs.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:40 PM

40 posts, read 104,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Yea our area isn't to bad, going to Elkins in any car is rough, at least until they finish corridor h. The c doesn't have power mode, did you get the entune system, I haven't been to impressed with it. I do understand why people get the awd on the mountains, have not understood why the guy making 30,000 a year gets a brand new 40,000 truck with no hauling needs.
I haven't been impressed with Entune much either. I use it every once in a while, but usually just use the iPhone apps like Waze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia