Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 PM

552 posts, read 737,990 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking to buy a prius, specifically a prius c, my only concern is driving uphill. I live in the eastern panhandle where it isn't very hilly and I drive a lot on the highway. However, I drive to my moms a lot deeper into WV where there are a few steep inclines. Anyone have experience driving a prius in WV? I don't expect to fly up the hill and currently drive my wifes neon so know how it is to drive sliggish uphill. I just want to hit say 60 uphill. My fear would be driving uphill going 40 mph holding up traffic on a relatively busy route 50. Am really excited to get this car since my wife and I drive 600 miles a week every other week, but need some advice from a prius owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,494,315 times
Go try one out.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 AM

IfI bought one in my area where it isn't very hilly I wouldn't know either way, guess I could test drive one in say morgantown.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,868,802 times
Why would you want a Prius? They are not good for the environment and will only save you money if you drive a ton. Those batteries create so much pollution to make and need to be stored for disposal.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:19 PM

Because I pay 400 a month in gas at about 25 mpgs, hence I can save 200 or more a month. If you read my op you would have seen that I drive 600 miles a week or more.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Because I pay 400 a month in gas at about 25 mpgs, hence I can save 200 or more a month. If you read my op you would have seen that I drive 600 miles a week or more.
I would just recommend a car that gets good milage and is not a hybrid. You pay a ton extra for those batteries, and if they need to be replaced you pay a ton more. There performance is also poor.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:59 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,380,678 times
I've recently driven a friends 2010 Prius in ultra high altitude steep grade conditions in the mountains of Colorado.

We drove from Denver to Leadville which is the highest altitude incorperated town in the country sitting at 9,927 feet above sea level.

The cars engine is tuned a little differently for higher altitudes but is essentially the same as one that rolled off the assembly line for the east coast.

The car handled very well.

Acceleration was really tested on some incline switchbacks and did decently with keeping up with traffic without taxing the car engine heavily.

Overall on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being optimal mountain driving using any vehicle I would rate the Prius a solid 7.5.

If I had no worries at climbing over 4000 feet from Denver to close to 10,000 feet above sea level you should have no problems whatsoever in West Virginia.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:18 PM

Thanks Julian appreciate your answer.From what I read looks like I would be fine, just need to test drive it and see how it feels.

I hear you havoc you make a good point there. I agree with what you said, the prius c is the cheapest hybrid out there now though with arguably the best gas mileage for a non plug in. The math works though, I am paying 80 more in car payment but will save around 150 or so in gas. I thought about getting a Hyundai veloster, new sporty looking car with 40 mpgs on highway and 30 in city, some people wouldn't like it, but I think it is cool. Toyota carolla is a good choice but kind of boring, like the volt but way to expensive.

I also have this strange fear/suspicion that gas still go into the mid 4 to 5 dollars a gallon just seems inevitable at some point.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Thanks Julian appreciate your answer.From what I read looks like I would be fine, just need to test drive it and see how it feels.

I hear you havoc you make a good point there. I agree with what you said, the prius c is the cheapest hybrid out there now though with arguably the best gas mileage for a non plug in. The math works though, I am paying 80 more in car payment but will save around 150 or so in gas. I thought about getting a Hyundai veloster, new sporty looking car with 40 mpgs on highway and 30 in city, some people wouldn't like it, but I think it is cool. Toyota carolla is a good choice but kind of boring, like the volt but way to expensive.

I also have this strange fear/suspicion that gas still go into the mid 4 to 5 dollars a gallon just seems inevitable at some point.
Might want to look at Honda's too. They arent the most exciting cars, but the non-hybrids get good gas milage.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Might want to look at Honda's too. They arent the most exciting cars, but the non-hybrids get good gas milage.
I checked them out the other day and was not impressed, for one thing the civics at the lot I went to were going for more then I thought they would, I think the cheapest was 19500. Not sure about the other cars, heard good things about the Honda fit. I thought the new Hyundai Elantra was pretty sweet looking btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia