Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 PM

27 posts, read 107,038 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,
I am seriously considering moving to Marlinton, WV, in Pocahontas CO. Any of you folks out there that could tell me about Marlinton I would appreciate it. I am looking for Rarely flooded area, or no flood area. I also would like to know of any close-by towns that are on 'high' ground, like a mountain. Is Marlinton located in a valley or high elevation? What is your opinion of Marlinton? What about Hillsboro or other close towns? Also Would love to hear from anyone who lives there or used to live there or visited awhile. What do you think of Southern WV as a whole?
Thanks, wvrose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 10:49 PM

3 posts, read 17,584 times
Lightbulb Don't do it...

Umm, personally I've only been there a few times. But I remember them having nothing there except like a subway and a few gas stations. As for flooding, I'm not really sure. But if your looking for a vibrant place with stuff to do, I'd choose somewhere bigger. If you like sitting in your house with cats... GO FOR IT!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 4,466 times
Default Resources

We are going to be checking out the area ourselves next month. Here are some resources I have come across in my search.

http://www.pccoc.com/ -- The Pocohantas Chamber of Commerce site

http://boe.poca.k12.wv.us/ -- The Pocohantas Public Schools site

www.unitedcountry.com -- Good site to check out real estate. Has good resources link too.

Hope this is of some help.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:24 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Default Marlinton

My mother was born there, my father helped build Watoga State Park when he was in the CCC, my parents are buried there, and I visit 2-3 times per year. My GF and I have a 4 acre lot south of Hillsboro, where we intend to retire. Clearly my favorite part of West Virginia, even more so than where I grew up.

Let me be very clear on this: Marlinton (and Pocahontas County) is not where you want to move if you need Starbucks, Macy's, Borders, and fancy restaurants in order to feel civilized. On the other hand, it is some place to consider if you like small-town friendliness, a walkable downtown, spectacular scenery, and relief from the hustle and bustle.

It's small. 1204 population in the town, throw in the areas outside the city limits and it's maybe 1500-2000. Total county population is about 10,000 in 1,000 square miles, or 10 people per square mile. Marlinton itself lies along the Greenbrier River, and it occasionally does flood. But many areas of the town are outside the flood plain; everybody local knows where it floods and where it doesn't.

Two grocery stores, not supermarkets, just ordinary small town grocery stores, where if you need something you ask the owner, and the check-out clerks will ask how your cousin is doing after her surgery. Couple of gas stations, Subway, Dairy Queen, 3 or 4 restaurants, Rite-Aide, Dollar General, a Chevy dealer. Last month we went to a concert by the West Virginia Jazz Orchestra, at the restored Opera House in downtown. Admission fee: $5.

Nearby smaller towns include Hillsboro (pop. 243), on the Little Levels plateau, about 200' higher than the river; Green Bank, Huntersville, Durbin. Snowshoe, about half an hour north of Marlinton, is a ski/year-around resort, with condos, apartments, and (I think) houses to rent or buy. The Cass Scenic Railroad, a restored 1900s logging railway, is in, well, Cass. If you really want to be alone, you can buy lots anywhere from along the Greenbrier to along the sides of the many mountains.

Most of the county is actually in the Monongahela National Forest. There's also the Seneca State Forest and Watoga State Park, the largest state park in West Virginia at over 10,000 acres. You haven't heard "quiet" until you stay at Watoga in the winter, when there's only 8 cabins to rent, and half of them are empty.

Hope this helps.

Snorpus

Old 04-23-2007, 10:46 PM

688 posts, read 2,835,542 times
Go to Pocahontas.org you will find alot of info about the area. Also, look into White Sulphur Springs and Greenbrier Co.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 12,083 times
Smile Summer Living in Pocahontas County, WV

Newby to this forum and this is my first post. I am currently in Fl. but looking at retirement and want to escape the summer heat. Considering a Fifth Wheel RV to travel north in summer/fall and was considering Marlinton area near river. I am somewhat familiar with Greenbrier County because I have family in Lewisburg and have enjoyed visits there. I have viewed on line several properties for sale along the river that look perfect for setting up a RV campsite. Some of them already have septic/water/trailer. They are 1-3 acres right on the river (various listings). My concern is about flash flooding. I realize floods will occur now and then, but is their plenty of warning to connect RV and escape the danger. Pocahontas County looks like a wonderful place to spend the season and I am very interested in the area buying that special accesible property for the RV . Anyone out there with knowledge of this info. would appreciate feedback. As a final note what about RV parks/lots to stay at along Rt219 while I check out the area.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:33 AM

107 posts, read 360,967 times
Snorpus is correct about Marlinton,hillsboro area and the thing is options are close by thats why many are continuing to move into that area...In marlinton you have a grocery store,drug store, fast food and such but snowshoe is 45minutues away in one direction and lewisburg in the other then comes beckley and charleston. Their is many close by thats why southern wv is continuing to grow and especially that area.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:59 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Also Elkins to the NORTH is larger population-wise and nearly equally as close as Lewisburg. Its about 45 miles from Lewisburg but takes about an hour and 10 minutes, where-as Elkins is 60ish miles and takes about the same amount of time due to better roads. I believe northern WV is growing a smidge faster than southern WV.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:46 AM

107 posts, read 360,967 times
Actually I disagree with that...With the Exception of Morgantown and the eastern panhandle...People Living in southern wv see the difference alot of Roanoke and Charlotte is coming towards beckley and lewisburg such as dc and pittsburg to the north...Southern wv is coming along just fine. Many more people are coming to get away with beautiful rivers and mtns of southern wv.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_massie View Post
Actually I disagree with that...With the Exception of Morgantown and the eastern panhandle...People Living in southern wv see the difference alot of Roanoke and Charlotte is coming towards beckley and lewisburg such as dc and pittsburg to the north...Southern wv is coming along just fine. Many more people are coming to get away with beautiful rivers and mtns of southern wv.
I guess we'll agree to disagree then. Everyone knows though that North Central WV and the Eastern Panhandle are the only areas in the state with the exception of Putnum county to show significant population increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia