Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 04:59 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times

Advertisements

Four eye W.Va. as site for cracker* - Business - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
Perfect world: Aither in Institute, similar-scale plant in Northern Panhandle, Braskem (Shell-sized) in Parkersburg. I predict we get at least two of those, eventually.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 PM

282 posts, read 484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Perfect world: Aither in Institute, similar-scale plant in Northern Panhandle, Braskem (Shell-sized) in Parkersburg. I predict we get at least two of those, eventually.
I overheard someone talking a couple weeks ago about some South American company seriously looking at the large Washington Bottom site (close to Dupont and the former GE plant). I'm assuming it must be the Brazil company. I'm not sure if the site is 500 acres or not, but it's pretty expansive, pool-table level, and would be the near perfect location geographically together with the outstanding highways the area now has. Hopefully, Keith Burdette will have some influence in getting them to locate here!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
I overheard someone talking a couple weeks ago about some South American company seriously looking at the large Washington Bottom site (close to Dupont and the former GE plant). I'm assuming it must be the Brazil company. I'm not sure if the site is 500 acres or not, but it's pretty expansive, pool-table level, and would be the near perfect location geographically together with the outstanding highways the area now has. Hopefully, Keith Burdette will have some influence in getting them to locate here!
Back in March after the Shell announcement, I pieced together some tidbits from different news articles and came to the conclusion that Braskem was talking to the State about a site in Wood County. With Washington Bottom being the only suitable area in the county, the fact that you're hearing about this is very encouraging. Just imagine what that could do for Parkersburg! Plus, you know Burdette is pushing this as much as he can.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
The notion of locating a cracker plant any place but in a wet gas area is rediculous. Any company doing that would have to have a penchant for shooting itself in the foot. What logical reason could any company have for locating someplace where it would have to move raw material hundreds of miles just to process it?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The notion of locating a cracker plant any place but in a wet gas area is rediculous. Any company doing that would have to have a penchant for shooting itself in the foot. What logical reason could any company have for locating someplace where it would have to move raw material hundreds of miles just to process it?
I'm not sure if you're referring to Parkersburg, CT, but Wood County, while not in the middle of the play, is still within both the Marcellus and Utica shale areas. Yes, the drilling activity is not as active as the Northern Panhandle, but with access to cheap rail and cheaper pipeline transport, raw material costs aren't prohibitive in the least. Considering most of the gas in the area is sent to Canada and the Gulf (thousands of miles), putting a world-class cracker in Parkersburg would be a very wise choice. The area also has a glut of potential customers and trained workforce due to the chemical industry there, which would be totally revitalized with a large-scale cracker. I want the NP to get another one also, and I think they will. I'm just saying what I've been piecing together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia