Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,951 times

Advertisements

I realize this is probably a very subjective question....As my username implies I love the snow! However I also love viewing fall foilage...I also live in southern Ga where leaves do not change until November... I fell in love with West Virginia a few years ago when I visited the New River Gorge area with a friend...we went in March and I still thought it was beautiful and I even got snow then...I am stuck with a delimma though..I can't decide to go in October to view leaves or Just go in Mid December to the Beckley area to see some great snowfall...I have never been in the fall so are the leaves there just as pretty as they are say in the North Ga mountains.?? or are we talking Vermont beauty here?? I think I may just make 2 trips because I can't make up my mind!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 03:03 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
If you want to see snow, January/ February would be a better time.

There is also a chance that you could see snow in October...

Can't really compare on the differences in fall foliage; it really depends on the amount of rain we've had.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Fall is the best time, there is too much snow in the Beckley area during winter. Fall gives you beauty, plus you can get out and do stuff.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Fall is the best time, there is too much snow in the Beckley area during winter. Fall gives you beauty, plus you can get out and do stuff.
The city does a pretty good job at clearing the streets in the winter...

Old 08-05-2012, 05:07 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
The city does a pretty good job at clearing the streets in the winter...
it is still hard to get there lol

Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
it is still hard to get there lol
Not really, the interstates are the first roads to be done, and if there was any warning of the storm, then they're pretreated, especially the turnpike...

Old 08-26-2012, 12:58 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!!! Actually I have decided to take 3 weeks off from December 1st to the 21st and I am going to Elkins WV,I have not ever been to that part of Wv and I think we will be visiting the canaan valley ski resort. Anyone From Elkins here that can tell me about the normal snowfall in December?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 AM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
I'm not so sure I would expect any significant snowfall in Elkins in December. Having grown up in the High Alleghenies and living just to the west of them now, it seems to me that you would be much more likely to encounter snow in January or February. Also, keep in mind that there isn't always snow on the ground during winter in West Virginia. As a native of the region, I would personally suggest that you visit when the leaves change colors in the fall. You'll be way more likely to predict when that will happen and, thereby, schedule your trip. I would also suggest that, in between visiting the attractions around Elkins, you find some to drive up to Western Maryland and partake in the outdoor activities of Garrett and Allegany Counties.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I'm not so sure I would expect any significant snowfall in Elkins in December. Having grown up in the High Alleghenies and living just to the west of them now, it seems to me that you would be much more likely to encounter snow in January or February. Also, keep in mind that there isn't always snow on the ground during winter in West Virginia. As a native of the region, I would personally suggest that you visit when the leaves change colors in the fall. You'll be way more likely to predict when that will happen and, thereby, schedule your trip. I would also suggest that, in between visiting the attractions around Elkins, you find some to drive up to Western Maryland and partake in the outdoor activities of Garrett and Allegany Counties.
Thanks for the advice..What I am planning on doing now is in the Fall taking a 2 day trip from Charlotte NC up to Beckley/New River area for Bridge day. I travel for a living so I think that is my best bet...I am looking forward to seeing Southern WV Fall foilage,and will still be crossing my fingers for some snowfall in early mid-December in Elkins!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia