Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times

Advertisements

TODAY: University of Charleston to take over Mountain State University* - State News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,075,647 times
I didn't read the article, but you didn't post any thoughts either. So will they be able to save some jobs and restore accredidation?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I didn't read the article, but you didn't post any thoughts either. So will they be able to save some jobs and restore accredidation?
Hopefully, but in my opinion UC is taking a huge gamble! If this doesn't work out it could hurt UC's good name, but if it pays off UC will rise in a big way.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,423,644 times
For those who don't want to read the whole article:

UC faculty will help with the "teach-out" plan through this semester (MSU got their accreditation extended through Dec 31)

Starting in January, UC will retain control of the campus and MSU is tentatively scheduled to become University of Charleston-Beckley. There will be two current MSU board members on the new Board of Directors for UC-B, and is assured a Beckley presence will continue on the Board. Current faculty members will be evaluated but will stay in consideration for future faculty positions, but UC will have ultimate say.

They're still working out the specifics, but it looks like all of MSU's assets in WV (i.e. not its campuses in PA, NC, FL) will be transferred to UC. UC-B will continue to be a four-year, private college, but it is not known how separate from UC it will be (such as athletics, etc). The Martinsburg campus will just hold select academic progams.

I think this isn't as big of a gamble as originally thought. As a branch campus of UC, UC-B will have assume accreditation again because the parent college is accredited (UC pres. Welch said UC-B would assume their accreditation). Also, all of the infrastructure is in place in Beckley and they have a supportive community around them. They have none of the administrative issues that plagued MSU and they will hire their own faculty when needed. I was hoping for a Marshall or WVU campus, but I totally trust UC and it will be a great remedy for this problem, and it might even turn out better for the college and the city of Beckley, too.

The only reservation I have is how this will effect UC's main campus. This will certainly expand the UC brand and add a good number of students to the UC system, but I've been wanting UC to expand in Charleston for some time now. If that city is going to grow, having a larger base of college-age people will help to rejuvenate it. Hopefully the expanded brand recognition will equate into more people applying to the Charleston campus as well.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
The only reservation I have is how this will effect UC's main campus. This will certainly expand the UC brand and add a good number of students to the UC system, but I've been wanting UC to expand in Charleston for some time now. If that city is going to grow, having a larger base of college-age people will help to rejuvenate it. Hopefully the expanded brand recognition will equate into more people applying to the Charleston campus as well.
You bring up an interesting point. UC's main campus could lose out, but the school itself would grow. UC needs to make sure that their main campus isn't going to lose students.

If all goes well, this should be a huge thing for the college and the state. UC is one of the best in the state, and can really become a major education source for our region. The University of Charleston's name will grow big time!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,054,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
My guess would be that if they operate it as part of the Charleston campus rather than as seperate institutions, they would have accreditation the same as the current Charleston campus so that wouldn't be an issue. This thing just might work for them, but in my opinion if it does it will be at the expense of jobs in Beckley. They will save money by utilizing the administrative capability already in place at UC, and laying off excess personnel elsewhere. They might, however do this by attrition, or they could shift some of the whole school's administrative functions to Beckley to soften the blow.

Remember, one of the advantages of merger is economy of scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia