Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:54 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

I mean as a WVU grad the free win is nice and al, but it just isnt fair to Marshall. They dont enjoy being massacred year after year. WVU doesnt do this out of spite toward Marshall, but rather to put down Marshall university. It is almost like the Hunger games.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:31 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,843 times
It's too make up for the lack of road funding they give morgantown. Duh.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
It's too make up for the lack of road funding they give morgantown. Duh.
Gustavo you have been acting very strange lately. I recommend you visit a doctor.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:39 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,843 times
I'm pretty sure there's a conspiracy to use WV state tax dollars anywhere but morgantown because the legislature, made up of WV Lawyers. who most likely graduated from WVU because there is no other Law School in the state, must absolutely hate Morgantown! The entire state of WV is conspiring to destroy morgantown. That's why they allowed marshall to score 34 points, to embarrass us! Disgusting behavior, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Charleston, whose sole purpose it is to denigrate anything and everything good related to Motown!

Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure there's a conspiracy to use WV state tax dollars anywhere but morgantown because the legislature, made up of WV Lawyers. who most likely graduated from WVU because there is no other Law School in the state, must absolutely hate Morgantown! The entire state of WV is conspiring to destroy morgantown. That's why they allowed marshall to score 34 points, to embarrass us! Disgusting behavior, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Charleston, whose sole purpose it is to denigrate anything and everything good related to Motown!
You speak with clairvoyance.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
They dont hate WVU, although they do underfund it. They hate Morgantown and NCWV. They just regret putting it in NCWV and Morgantown. They wanted to try and build Marshall into a replacement, but it was a big failure.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:37 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
I say again... you need to ask your doctor to up your meds.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
They dont hate WVU, although they do underfund it. They hate Morgantown and NCWV. They just regret putting it in NCWV and Morgantown. They wanted to try and build Marshall into a replacement, but it was a big failure.
Actually, the moronic endeavor to clone WVU elsewhere eminates from one particular area that, for the time being, has a particular legislator positioned to rip off the state and actually harm higher education programs in the process. The majority of the state is not in on the process.

Our statewide problem is a higher education system that is outmoded and inefficient, developed when transportation was difficult and resources scarce. Our state supports a dozen schools, most of which are glorified teachers colleges. It is very expensive to do that, and wasteful. Iowa, which is both larger and more prosperous than West Virginia, has three state supported schools.

We need to refocus here and put our resources to good use building up our one national university, our regional school, and reduce the others to maybe two or three well positioned throughout the state. The other colleges should be made branches of WVU offering two year college transfer degrees and limited 4 year offerings (mostly in education) on the Penn State model.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Actually, the moronic endeavor to clone WVU elsewhere eminates from one particular area that, for the time being, has a particular legislator positioned to rip off the state and actually harm higher education programs in the process. The majority of the state is not in on the process.

Our statewide problem is a higher education system that is outmoded and inefficient, developed when transportation was difficult and resources scarce. Our state supports a dozen schools, most of which are glorified teachers colleges. It is very expensive to do that, and wasteful. Iowa, which is both larger and more prosperous than West Virginia, has three state supported schools.

We need to refocus here and put our resources to good use building up our one national university, our regional school, and reduce the others to maybe two or three well positioned throughout the state. The other colleges should be made branches of WVU offering two year college transfer degrees and limited 4 year offerings (mostly in education) on the Penn State model.
Makes sense.

I think WV only needs two state fund schools. The one in Martinsburg and WVU. We can privatize Marshall and stop funding it, or just eliminate it and sell everything for scrap.

WVU could be one of the best schools in the country if the idiots in Charleston just put a little more money our way.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:44 PM

It isn't rational to stop funding Marshall. That school does serve a proper function in a regional sense. It just needs to stop trying to be something it is not, and when it does expand, it needs to do so in a way that does not harm other state schools in the process. They need some original thinking there, not a "me too" attitude. I really don't believe that school is financially positioned to rationally expand at all right now, but they could have developed an Optometry program, for example, and not stepped on toes on the process. Instead, they have embarked on processes that have harmed the University of Charleston, West Virginia State, West Virginia University, and WVU Tech and given the state nothing it does not already offer state residents.

The teachers colleges will never be closed due to political concerns. We seemingly will be stuck with that situation indefinitely, so WVU needs to do what it can to develop autonomously in spite of that handicap. So far, they are doing rather well in that regard. We also need more concerted political action to represent the interests of The University. A whole new organization needs to be developed totally removed from the school itself that grades legislators in terms of their level of support for the school and notifies the electorate of that level of support. In doing that, the Boss Hogg mentality dominating the politics of the southern portion of the state can be effectively countered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia