Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 AM

396 posts, read 923,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
As many of you may or may not know. West Virginia isn't the most accepting state for gays and lesbians. Currently it is perfectly legal for an employer in West Virginia to fire an employee on the basis that they are gay or lesbian. Charleston has passed a measure that protects gay and lesbian rights within the city. I know West Virginia is in the buckle of the bible belt, but come on folks. We live in the land of the free where ALL rights should be the same from person to person shouldn't they? Shouldn't we all have the same rights and privileges. Shouldn't everyone be allowed to love whom ever they want and have all the same rights as straight couples that are in love? Should children bounce around from foster home to foster home because gay parents are so wrong? Do we want to continue to force gays and lesbians out of our state by creating such a hostile environment for us to live in? I know this is probably going to rub some people wrong. But please don't spill hate on this. I also realize that the gay rights movement isn't going to happen over night. It took forever for black Americans, Jews, and women. We need to keep CHURCH and STATE separate (our foundation for America), and I urge you all to make West Virginia a more accepting state.
Not true, gottaheron.
It is NOT legal to fire one in WV based on sexual orientation.
I still don't understand why sexual orientation of a person should be a public knowledge. Is it polite to discuss your favorite sexual positions in public? No. So why people shout about they preferences? Why should everybody know? How will sexual orientation affect his/her job performance? In most cases- will not.
More, it is not legal to ask about sexual orientation during hiring process. So, why is it legal to tell?
Please stop comparing Jews, Blacks, Asian ans women to gays. It's not correct comparison.
Gays deserve equal rights, i am agree. I support gay unions. What I don't support is- annoying gay propaganda and talks about "gay marriage". The very expression "gay marriage" is absurd. What will we propose next, man-goat marriage? Will I be able to marry my beloved male dog? etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,930,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
Please stop comparing Jews, Blacks, Asian ans women to gays. It's not correct comparison.
Gays deserve equal rights, i am agree. I support gay unions. What I don't support is- annoying gay propaganda and talks about "gay marriage". The very expression "gay marriage" is absurd. What will we propose next, man-goat marriage? Will I be able to marry my beloved male dog? etc
If it's unfair to compare all the minorities to each other (I don't agree with this, but you do), it should be unfair to compare all homosexual relationships to inter-species relationships as well. They are clearly not the same.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:10 PM

396 posts, read 923,638 times
Both homosexual and interspecies relationship are abnormal and unnatural. Therefore, in my mind, they are comparable. Homosexialism is more socially accepted, erased from psychiatric diagnoses but it does not make it natural, normal condition. One can rationalise as long as he want but it won't change the core issue- nature (or god, if you believe in one)created sexes(genders) for gene variability and procreation. therefore it is abnormal.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Both homosexual and interspecies relationship are abnormal and unnatural. Therefore, in my mind, they are comparable.
Then you DO believe those who practice bestiality should have the right to walk down the street and display acts of public affection with their animal? If you support gay unions, believe homosexuals should have civil rights, then, by my understanding of your argument, you also support bestiality unions (if there is a thing) and believe they should have the right to be with an animal since you believe them to be the same.

Quote:
Homosexialism is more socially accepted, erased from psychiatric diagnoses but it does not make it natural, normal condition.
There is a difference between "natural" and "normal" from a social and moral standpoint.

Quote:
One can rationalise as long as he want but it won't change the core issue- nature (or god, if you believe in one)created sexes(genders) for gene variability and procreation. therefore it is abnormal.
You speak of nature as a conscious entity that sat down and came up with blueprints of a man and woman and said, "They must use 'sexual organs' to create another human." Unless you're a fundamentalist (and I don't think you are seeing as how you spelled "god" with a lower-case g, and stuffed it in parenthesis), you know that the scientific truth and religious truth are two entirely different theories. No one here is debating the natural process of reproduction - we all know that, scientifically speaking, it would be abnormal for two people of the same gender to have sex with hopes of reproducing, but the gay rights debate is about the social acceptance of homosexuals, not wanting to change science. The fact is two people of the same gender, though they can't naturally reproduce, have the ability to fall in love and they want to be able to act upon that emotion without being outcast. An animal cannot consciously decide to fall in emotional, romantic love with a person and therein lies the difference.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:02 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,325 times
Quote:
Not true, gottaheron.
It is NOT legal to fire one in WV based on sexual orientation.
I still don't understand why sexual orientation of a person should be a public knowledge. Is it polite to discuss your favorite sexual positions in public? No. So why people shout about they preferences? Why should everybody know? How will sexual orientation affect his/her job performance? In most cases- will not.
More, it is not legal to ask about sexual orientation during hiring process. So, why is it legal to tell?
Okkk, well I've been gay for 22 years now so I think I know a little bit more about being gay than straight people. Not positive on that, who knows? But yes Big Al I'm afraid to bring this shocking reality to you but it is legal to fire someone in WV based on their sexual orientation. That is what this past senate bill 238 has been about. It gets introduced every year and passes the senate every year but fails in the house, where they shuffle it out into committee and then it never makes it to vote by the deadline.

As I've said before numerous times, yet people apparently just cannot comprehend this. Some gay guys are effeminate, and some lesbians are masculine and it is fairly easy to determine sexual orientation based on physical observation alone. I've seen this happen, many times. So it does not have to be spoken or discussed and people aren't stupid. It is easily picked up on and can/and often does play a role in the hiring/firing process.

I will not stop comparing my fight to blacks, Jews, Asians, women or any other person that has been persecuted against just for being who they are. You or no one else has that authority to tell me that and anyone who does needs some introspection to see why those feelings of hate and insecurity are there, and to come down off their high horse. I don't compare them in that they are the same, I compare them in that they/we all faced racism, sexism, and homophobia head on and challenged popular societal views for the betterment of society.

Thank you for saying you support gay rights, I just don't understand why it bothers you so much about marriage? I live with my partner, we do everything other married couples do. But we get to pay the $2,300 a year "gay tax" because we aren't a married couple. We're just very roommates apparently. Marriage may have started out a religious thing, but unfortunately for the closed minded it has became highly intertwined in government and every day life. Compare civil unions to marriage. It's like telling women that they couldn't vote in the 1920's. Instead they would be allowed to cast a recommendation which provides nearly all the same benefits of voting but could not be called "voting" because that practice had been something only men could do for generations.

Notice I said "nearly all" in that a civil union will never be the same as a marriage. Separate but equal is not possible. We've learned this before, and apparently we're going to go through the b/s process again because some people are just too insecure and uncomfortable with themselves.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,903 times
Quote:
I live with my partner, we do everything other married couples do.
So stop complaining and enjoy your lives. Everyone isn't going to approve of you - so what? Everyone doesn't approve of me, or anyone else on the planet. Some people will not "approve of" or sanction your behavior....you can either keep kvetching, or you can life your life and be happy.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
So stop complaining and enjoy your lives. Everyone isn't going to approve of you - so what? Everyone doesn't approve of me, or anyone else on the planet. Some people will not "approve of" or sanction your behavior....you can either keep kvetching, or you can life your life and be happy.
To "approve": to speak or think favorably of; pronounce or consider agreeable or good.

To "tolerate": to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance.

It's tolerance the homosexuals seek, not approval.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
To "approve": to speak or think favorably of; pronounce or consider agreeable or good.

To "tolerate": to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance.

It's tolerance the homosexuals seek, not approval.
They are tolerated. They're living their lives, they're doing their thing...no one is stopping them...he said they do everything that straight couples do.
No one is physically attacking them, shooting them, etc. Most gay people are popular.
Live your lives and be happy, and stop trying to convince people of anything....

Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
They are tolerated.
If so, then why are gays discriminated against? To tolerate something is to allow it's existence and PRACTICE without banishment. Many posts on this one forum alone show that isn't happening.

Quote:
They're living their lives, they're doing their thing...no one is stopping them...he said they do everything that straight couples do.
Except get married.

Quote:
No one is physically attacking them, shooting them, etc. Most gay people are popular.
Live your lives and be happy, and stop trying to convince people of anything....
No, no one is physically attacking HIM or shooting HIM, but don't pretend that that sort of thing doesn't happen to homosexuals. Here's a case actually from West Virginia, just happened 2 weeks ago:

Gay Man Attacked & Beaten - WTRF-TV - WTRF.com (http://www.wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=59087 - broken link)

Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,325 times
Quote:
notice I wasn't complaining... I was defending. There is an obvious difference, and we do enjoy our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia