Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 AM

57 posts, read 137,262 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am thinking of moving from my current state of md to wv. I have lived in md all my life and I'm willing to try something new. I have heard that wv is cheaper but has worse schools. Is this the case in the counties I'm thinking of? Is there much difference between the two states? And is there any cost benefit of making the move? If I continue to work in md would I get a tax break on income tax from md since I live in wv? Does wv have personal property tax on cars? Is col any cheaper? I've seen they have some high gas prices. Is this true for other costs? Any info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,813,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woot21210 View Post
Hello,
I am thinking of moving from my current state of md to wv. I have lived in md all my life and I'm willing to try something new. I have heard that wv is cheaper but has worse schools. Is this the case in the counties I'm thinking of? Is there much difference between the two states? And is there any cost benefit of making the move? If I continue to work in md would I get a tax break on income tax from md since I live in wv? Does wv have personal property tax on cars? Is col any cheaper? I've seen they have some high gas prices. Is this true for other costs? Any info would be appreciated!
There are big differences between MD and WV. WV is much cheaper.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM

13,900 posts, read 39,009,062 times
Moving then commuting to work does that even make sence? cripe No Housing Tax is just as high

Old 11-20-2012, 01:04 PM

735 posts, read 1,156,658 times
Please check out this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/west-...rles-town.html. It was from earlier this month concerning someone who was thinking about moving to Charles Town WV from Winchester VA. It answers some of your questions about moving to WV.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:37 AM

537 posts, read 953,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woot21210 View Post
Hello,
I'll just speak of my situation, moving from PG Co. MD to Jefferson Co. WV:

I'd say WV is a bit cheaper, but not that much, less than I expected when I moved out here. Definitely lower real estate taxes, but some other taxes (like vehicle personal property tax) somewhat offset that. Overall, I'll pull a number out of my @ss and say Jeff Co. 5% is cheaper than PG Co.
Of course, if you're coming instead from somewhere like Bethesda... yeah, WV will be MUCH cheaper.
Though as someone else mentioned, if you just added a long commute, there goes your cost savings.

Jeff Co. seems like a lot of MD burbs I've been to. Biggest difference between the two areas is the reason I moved out here -- LESS TRAFFIC. I lived in the DC area for 45 years, finally couldn't take it any more, even in some little town it'd take 15 mins to go 2 miles to a store. Things are a bit more slow and casual out here, which I love.

Gas prices generally seem a bit higher out here, but that's just a casual observation.

Schools are definitely better out here than in PG Co. (generally speaking). Probably comparable to Montgomery/Howard Co., I'd guess.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 AM

385 posts, read 612,017 times
Jefferson and Berkeley Counties are still considered part of the "DC Metro" region, and as such the cost of living is considerably higher there than in most of the rest of WV, though a bit lower than you would find in MD or VA. For instance, the real-estate taxes on my SFH on half an acre in Berkeley County are lower than they were on my two-level TH in eastern Loudoun County.

Some things are higher. Gasoline state taxes in WV are higher than MD or VA by about a quarter, so many commuters fill up in MD or VA. There are tech jobs locally (IRS, ATF, Coast Guard, VA, DHS are all here), you just have to know where to look. Commuting to Frederick, Hagerstown, and Winchester is a breeze compared to fighting northern VA traffic.

Like any area, some schools in the two counties are great, others not so much. I've had two school principles in Berkeley advise me that while the elementary (grades K-2) and intermediate (grades 3-5) schools are fine, home-schooling or private school is the way to go through middle and high school for kids who are academically inclined.

Gun laws in WV vs MD - concealed carry permits are shall-issue, open carry is legal (and practiced, so don't freak out), hearing rifle fire in mid-late November is normal (deer season), no waiting periods, no "approved lists", etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia