Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM

159 posts, read 441,280 times

Advertisements

Has anyone attempted to drive to the top of spruce knob during the winter? I know their are 2 ways to get up there. Which one would be less difficult with snow/ice? Would a lifted 4x4 truck with tire chains be likely to make it to the top?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM

882 posts, read 2,085,162 times
Are you talking @ the actual road to the top or Rt. 28? IIRC they can shut the access road off at the county road (I forget the #), but I have been up there when the road has been plowed (whodathunkit?). Anyway, any 4WD in reasonable condition should have no problem most of the winter. Incredible views, regardless of the time of year...

Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,945,307 times
The big problem that nobody can predict would be tree falls. If there is a good snowfall it may be awhile before any downed tree's get moved out of the way.

I would think a properly equipped 4WD could make it up but there are many areas you aren't going to be able to turn around if you do encounter a downed tree. That might make for an interesting trip back down.

I've been up there when there was snow but it's only been when the road was relatively clear. I would suggest taking it very slowly as the road can be very slick and as you know, going off the road would be no fun.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM

282 posts, read 482,642 times
A good 4 wheel drive with chains should have no problem either route. Now I tried driving up there once in a CRV, and got stuck before I even made it to the lake. Luckily a couple of guys were heading for the lake to go ice fishing, and helped push me out. I turned around and headed back down the mountain. Live and learn.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:16 PM

71 posts, read 175,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
A good 4 wheel drive with chains should have no problem either route. Now I tried driving up there once in a CRV, and got stuck before I even made it to the lake. Luckily a couple of guys were heading for the lake to go ice fishing, and helped push me out. I turned around and headed back down the mountain. Live and learn.

Up is better than down though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia