U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:03 PM

50 posts, read 161,154 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Dallas, Tx and are looking for a change of scenery. We want to live in a city that is safe, clean, low crime and is within commuting distance from a major city. We want the town/city we live in to have a small town feel but with modern convienences (shops, restaurants, things to do). We will be having children in the near future so high rated schools are important. I am a teacher and was wanting to know what the job market is like in wv and the pay. We want to get away from the Texas weather and want to live somewhere that has four seasons and some snow throughout the winter...we get about 1 day a year. Our home affordability is 200-300K.

Any suggestions???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 08:45 PM

101 posts, read 297,875 times
There are NO major I repeat NO major cites in WV!!! I grew up there. You can def afford a home there but the job market SUCKS! I left because in healthcare I couldn't find a job. Let me say again there are NO cities! Charleston hardly counts if you've ever been to any other cities and comming from Dallas you'll be very disappointed. Try NC.... Cary is nice. A littler pricier but nice. Don't go to WV unless your old and have nothing left you want to do with life. Trust me. Email if you want but I want to tell you it is not a wise move. Wages are low, the economy bites its just all around poor it lives up to its rep being a Welfare State. 24 years there was enough for me.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:05 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,682,972 times
No major cities and this is a plus. Morgantown has what you ask for and the outskirts offer lovely country subdivisions. Being near the hub-bub without the problems. Pittsburgh about 1 hr. DC 3 hrs. Chicago and New York about the same distance (8hrs)
This area is exploding off the map with opportuntiy and is looking for good teachers as we speak. The pay is low but a new governor is working on that problem. Begining salarys near $30 k but the need/pay is in education specialties.
Morgantown has lakes, waterfront bike trails and a plan to make it the biggest and best city in the state. 300k will get you a great home. If you settle in the Bridgeport/Shinnston area, we could do your home. My sister lives in Dallas and I can understand your feelings....her work commute is 85 miles. Mine is 12.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 AM

306 posts, read 1,193,302 times
REALLY CHECK OUT THE SCHOOLS.................and their pay...........and BE prepared..

Old 10-17-2007, 04:21 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,895,096 times
The WWII Baby Boomers had their kids in the late 60s-early 70s (for the most part), which led to many teachers being needed in the late 70s and into the 80s. Those teachers are now approaching retirement age. And, like everywhere, the biggest need is for science, math, and special ed teachers.

But check out the county demographics carefully. While there are counties that are growing in WV, many of the most rural counties have a falling school-age population, and thus a declining need for teachers (except to fill the slots of the retirees).

Morgantown-Bridgeport, Huntington-Charleston, and the Eastern Panhandle are likely to have the most openings.

Snorpus

Old 10-17-2007, 06:43 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,682,972 times
Eastern panhandle is really having the blues...so much so that OUR esteemed legislature is allowing those education boards to make the deals necessary to provide teachers for that area...all behind the back of the teachers union. We wouldn't want the other county teaching employees to know about this...but it is still very expensive in the panhandle and no end in sight...a no win situation.
Better to look in the other areas where living can be done much more cheaply.
Deals are being made to give a lump sum/no benefits package to buy teachers for a five year period..after the baby boomers are out things will settle down.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:50 AM

The Eastern Panhandle???? Whats there? Trees? You can drive an hour to Hagerstown MD to go to the mall or 1.5 hours to DC if there is no traffic (yeah right) Seriously look elsewhere. NC has what you desire I think!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:18 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,711,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryschap View Post
The Eastern Panhandle???? Whats there? Trees? You can drive an hour to Hagerstown MD to go to the mall or 1.5 hours to DC if there is no traffic (yeah right) Seriously look elsewhere. NC has what you desire I think!
Ha Ha Trees... well there are some. But its called urbanization. People have came in the thousands to the eastern panhandle to live there and work in the DC area. If you don't like WV don't live here, but why don't you let everyone else make up their own minds

Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Ha Ha Trees... well there are some. But its called urbanization. People have came in the thousands to the eastern panhandle to live there and work in the DC area. If you don't like WV don't live here, but why don't you let everyone else make up their own minds
My husband's family is in the Eastern Panhandle... Urbanization??? Yeah they don't even have grocery stores that are conveniently located. Maybe in Martinsburg and if you want to work in DC and live in that part of DC prepare for 2+ hour commute one way. People can make up their own minds but they need all the facts to do so. There have been times I wish someone had told me how things were in certain places. The truth is the truth. WV has no growth in no part of it. Jobs are scarce and the economy sucks. I DON'T live there for those reasons. ALL my family is still in the state of WV and they will sing its praises til the sun comes up and goes back down. Its something about them true blue Wvinians that love their state and refuse to see its faults. Do you research please! Look at ALL the info you gather and make a decision based on that. Major cities in the panhandle are Martinsburg, Charles Town (not to be confused with Charleston) Berkely Springs to name a few. Look these up and do some research before making a choice you could later regret.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:18 PM
x1x

227 posts, read 770,629 times
I thought Clarksburg,WV. was nice when i spent a summer there a few years back, It has a mall with most of the good stores close by, and was expanding when i was there,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>