Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,346,941 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in learning more about Martinsburg. Some of my questions are:

1) What is the weather really like? How long does each season tend to last?

2) Is the driving pretty treacherous in the winter? Are there less hills in this area compared to other parts of WV?

3) Tell me about dangerous and / or annoying insects & wildlife in the area such as fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, venomous spiders & snakes, etc. I know critters are everywhere in the USA, but try to focus on how Martinsburg compares to other areas you've been in terms of the level of annoyance from insects and wildlife. Special emphasis on dangers to dogs, as I have 4. For example is heartworm a major issue?

4) Are the residents mostly people who work in DC? How would you describe the people of Martinsburg?

5) Any notable local cuisine?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but those are my most immediate queries. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 03:48 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times
This is the Morgantown board, and this really belongs on the general West Virginia board, but Martinsburg is a historic town that is mostly a commuter suburb of Washington, DC. Berkeley County is rapidly growing, and there are some problems associated with that but overall it is a nice place with a rather conservative, Virginia like bent. There aren't a lot of unique dining options... they some typical local eateries and the usual chains, but it is fairly close to both DC and Baltimore. The place generally retains a small town feel.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:21 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
This is the Morgantown board, and this really belongs on the general West Virginia board, but Martinsburg is a historic town that is mostly a commuter suburb of Washington, DC. Berkeley County is rapidly growing, and there are some problems associated with that but overall it is a nice place with a rather conservative, Virginia like bent. There aren't a lot of unique dining options... they some typical local eateries and the usual chains, but it is fairly close to both DC and Baltimore. The place generally retains a small town feel.
It is fairly close to DC and Baltimore compared to the rest of WV, I suppose. It's still a good distance away. There are some hearty two-hour commuters to DC (some take the MARC train).

Downtown Martinsburg is kinda run down, significantly moreso than Winchester 15 miles south, but not moreso than Hagerstown, 15 miles north. When last there for a family member's funeral I noticed a lot of drug people hanging around.

But, there are of course the usual subdivisions and suburban tracts where I'm sure one wouldn't be bothered much by that type of stuff. There's a lot to like in Martinsburg but a lot of room for improvement.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,346,941 times
Any surrounding towns that have some of the positive aspects of Martinsburg without the drawbacks?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Any surrounding towns that have some of the positive aspects of Martinsburg without the drawbacks?
Of similar size, Winchester. Much smaller and more expensive, Shepherdstown. I've never lived in the area though so perhaps someone with more local knowledge could be of more help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia