Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yep, that is only ONE meth lab per 7,333 residents. Not a problem at all.
Congrats on derailing a thread meant to help someone find out about a particular area in Bluefield and turning it into a petty, meaningless argument of little importance to the intended topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,549 times
I apologize Mattec and to the OP, didn't mean to co-hijack the thread like that. I was born in Bluefield, it holds a special place in my heart.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,870,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Congrats on derailing a thread meant to help someone find out about a particular area in Bluefield and turning it into a petty, meaningless argument of little importance to the intended topic.
You can blame me all you want, but all I did was make a point relevant to the topic. Someone else than lied and said it was not a problem. So sure point the figure just at me, but there is another party just as responsible.

Nor is the thread derailed. I am pretty sure the OP would be interested in knowing the drug problem, pills and meth, in McDowell. They specifically asked about crime, and drugs are often related to crime. There was recent thread about a news report detailing the drug problems in McDowell. I am not trying to bash the place, but we shouldnt ignore the truth because it makes some posters upset to paint the real situation.

Here is what you all want, "McDowell is heaven on Earth. There is NO problems. NOBODY uses drugs, and the economy is great. "

Happy?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
I wouldn't even consider it close to Ky, two separate places and identities. It's actually 2 hours 45 min to Pikeville. If you go thru McDowell, to Iaeger, then to Panther, then into Hurley,Va, then to the Ky. That's actually 2 hours so I was off in my original estimation, and that's just to the state line.
There are a whole group of communities along the border with Kentucky that are commonly associated with quick, easy access to Kentucky, like Fort Gay, Crum, Kermit, Williamson, and Matewan. Even people in Huntington consider Ashland part of their shopping area.

Bluefield is associated with Virginia, not Kentucky. This is just the same as relating Martinsburg to Maryland, not Ohio.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are a whole group of communities along the border with Kentucky that are commonly associated with quick, easy access to Kentucky, like Fort Gay, Crum, Kermit, Williamson, and Matewan. Even people in Huntington consider Ashland part of their shopping area.

Bluefield is associated with Virginia, not Kentucky. This is just the same as relating Martinsburg to Maryland, not Ohio.
Regardless it is close to the Kentucky border, is the hardest hit county in WV, and is often used as a model of the problems of WV from unemployment to rampant drug abuse of pills and meth.

Mercer could be associated with Singapore, it would not change the situation in the county.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM

For some reason, there seem to be a lot of posta about McDowell County in a thread asking about Bluefield, which is in Mercer County, WV, and Tazewell County, VA.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Between 2008 and 2012 there have been 641 Meth Bust in the State of West Virginia and only 1 of those was in McDowell County(last year) and the other 2 were earlier this month. Your right it's not a major problem, considering that's all that has been found with roughly around 22,000 residents.
Were any of those in Bluefield?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
For some reason, there seem to be a lot of posta about McDowell County in a thread asking about Bluefield, which is in Mercer County, WV, and Tazewell County, VA.
Different counties, same region.

The very southern part of WV is the worst area poverty, unemployment, education, and drug wise. Mercer is better than McDowell but not by much.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,549 times
Cry Havoc cannot stand that he was proven wrong in his assumption that SWV was the Meth Capital of WV and TWEAKER CENTRAL. He has no statistics to prove any of his points in regards to Meth usage in WV and that Bluefield, WV was best friends with Ky. We all know that SWV has it's issues, but Cry Havoc has a hatred and dislike for this place that everybody on City-Data knows. Just the thought of somebody moving here was more than he could handle. I would never make assumptions about Northern West Virginia, Eastern Panhandle, Metro Valley unless I've been there. For a man to claim he knows little of this place but knows what is going on here pretty much shows he will say whatever fits his views. As far of the meth bust in Mercer County it is a fairly low amount, quoting the Mercer County Prosecuting Attorney. There has never been a Meth bust in Wyoming County that I've ever heard of. I've never disputed that there is a Prescription pill problem in SWV, it may be worse here, but it's not like any other part of the state doesn't have the same issue. When your economy is coal based and no other industry has taken its place your going to have high unemployment due to mechanization and ups and downs of coal. McDowell County has 12 counties that have a higher unemployment rate than they do. The top 5 counties in unemployment are all in North Central WV. Mercer County has always been better off economically and it's unemployment rate is above average within the state.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Cry Havoc cannot stand that he was proven wrong in his assumption that SWV was the Meth Capital of WV and TWEAKER CENTRAL. He has no statistics to prove any of his points in regards to Meth usage in WV and that Bluefield, WV was best friends with Ky. We all know that SWV has it's issues, but Cry Havoc has a hatred and dislike for this place that everybody on City-Data knows. Just the thought of somebody moving here was more than he could handle. I would never make assumptions about Northern West Virginia, Eastern Panhandle, Metro Valley unless I've been there. For a man to claim he knows little of this place but knows what is going on here pretty much shows he will say whatever fits his views. As far of the meth bust in Mercer County it is a fairly low amount, quoting the Mercer County Prosecuting Attorney. There has never been a Meth bust in Wyoming County that I've ever heard of. I've never disputed that there is a Prescription pill problem in SWV, it may be worse here, but it's not like any other part of the state doesn't have the same issue. When your economy is coal based and no other industry has taken its place your going to have high unemployment due to mechanization and ups and downs of coal. McDowell County has 12 counties that have a higher unemployment rate than they do. The top 5 counties in unemployment are all in North Central WV. Mercer County has always been better off economically and it's unemployment rate is above average within the state.
Nice personal attack, but a little long if you ask me. It doesn't change the fact that Meth is a big issue in Mercer, and the surrounding counties. Pills are even worse. To the OP send your kids to private school. Also I hope your job is secure because if you lose it you won't find another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia