Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM

134 posts, read 194,808 times

Advertisements

I'm not from WV or even the surrounding area, but I was looking at a map of the Steel Valley and noticed that there were four counties of West Virgina that were bordered on one side by Pennsylvania and on the other by the Ohio river. I was intrigued by their unusual placement and read up on it a bit. I read that the area is mostly integrated into the Eastern OH-Western PA economies and is much more a part of their media markets than those of the rest of WV.

My natural thought was "Why not just leave?" There doesn't seem to be any mechanism in the West Virginian Constitution enabling county secession, although there doesn't seem to be anything expressly prohibiting it, though there is a subsection listing the counties of the state. I'm wondering other thoughts on two questions: Would a change of state from WV to PA be supported by the 133,000 or so people living there and how might such a secession be facilitated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,835,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
I'm not from WV or even the surrounding area, but I was looking at a map of the Steel Valley and noticed that there were four counties of West Virgina that were bordered on one side by Pennsylvania and on the other by the Ohio river. I was intrigued by their unusual placement and read up on it a bit. I read that the area is mostly integrated into the Eastern OH-Western PA economies and is much more a part of their media markets than those of the rest of WV.

My natural thought was "Why not just leave?" There doesn't seem to be any mechanism in the West Virginian Constitution enabling county secession, although there doesn't seem to be anything expressly prohibiting it, though there is a subsection listing the counties of the state. I'm wondering other thoughts on two questions: Would a change of state from WV to PA be supported by the 133,000 or so people living there and how might such a secession be facilitated?
Generally states don't try to get counties in other states to leave and join them. I'm not sure the legality of this all.

However, northern WV is neglected by southern wv who wants to steal the shale to try and force development in the south which is in terminal decline. Northern wv and EP just may break away from south WV if they continue to exploit and ignore us. There is widespread dislike of Charleston in northern WV and EP.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,053,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Generally states don't try to get counties in other states to leave and join them. I'm not sure the legality of this all.

However, northern WV is neglected by southern wv who wants to steal the shale to try and force development in the south which is in terminal decline. Northern wv and EP just may break away from south WV if they continue to exploit and ignore us. There is widespread dislike of Charleston in northern WV and EP.
That is correct, the politicians here in southern wv are corrupt, and the plan is to use the tax $$ from the shale industry to fatten the wallets of not only the politco's here in Charleston, but to redistribute that wealth to the Charleston-Huntington metro's already more than adequate infrastructure.

It would benefit North-Central WV, the Northern Panhandle and the Eastern Panhandle to look into their options as far as statehood goes. They will never become what they should carrying the ol' ball and chain (Southern WV) around.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 PM

282 posts, read 482,031 times
I say the westernmost Pennsylvania counties should leave PA and become part of WV.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
That is correct, the politicians here in southern wv are corrupt, and the plan is to use the tax $$ from the shale industry to fatten the wallets of not only the politco's here in Charleston, but to redistribute that wealth to the Charleston-Huntington metro's already more than adequate infrastructure.

It would benefit North-Central WV, the Northern Panhandle and the Eastern Panhandle to look into their options as far as statehood goes. They will never become what they should carrying the ol' ball and chain (Southern WV) around.

You are making progress Sildashocker. Perhaps there is hope for you.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
I say the westernmost Pennsylvania counties should leave PA and become part of WV.
Pittsburgh, WV... has a certain ring to it...

Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,978,412 times
Pennsylvaina's colonial charter only extended so far westward. The Virginia colony possessed the other territory. The Washington family were Virginians, and owned much of the land currently found in the Northern Panhandle. George Washington's brother, Lawrence, is burried near Wheeling at a place known as Washington Farms. This article pretty well sums up how the Northern Panhandle came about.

e-WV | Northern Panhandle

Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 AM

708 posts, read 1,152,145 times
We will take all resources we can to rebuild our SWV empire, Northern West Virginia was built off the sweat of our testicles, and large testicles they were. Our resources funded this state and brought it great prosperity, while we were sold out for 30 pieces of silver from our elected officials. The whole state was sold out, but we were cut the worst. We will take any stimulus, B&O tax, Tiger Grant, Highway Traffic bill funding we can get our hands on. Get your hands out of our pockets. We have just as much right to drive on safe highways, have proper infrastructure, and investment in our area as any part of the state. We didn't land on Plymouth Rock, Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
We will take all resources we can to rebuild our SWV empire, Northern West Virginia was built off the sweat of our testicles, and large testicles they were. Our resources funded this state and brought it great prosperity, while we were sold out for 30 pieces of silver from our elected officials. The whole state was sold out, but we were cut the worst. We will take any stimulus, B&O tax, Tiger Grant, Highway Traffic bill funding we can get our hands on. Get your hands out of our pockets. We have just as much right to drive on safe highways, have proper infrastructure, and investment in our area as any part of the state. We didn't land on Plymouth Rock, Plymouth Rock landed on us.
Yes, WV was sold out by Charleston.

Such a shame.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM

16,591 posts, read 15,520,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post

Read the US Constitution, Article 4, Section 3. Those counties can't just decide to leave and insist that Pennsylvania take them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia