U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM

708 posts, read 1,095,267 times

Advertisements

Per WBOY Channel 12 and the Monongalia County Prosecutors Office

Posted: Aug 29, 2012 5:55 PM EDT
Updated: Sep 12, 2012 5:55 PM EDT
By Stacy Moniot, Anchor/Reporter - bio | email

The Monongalia County prosecutor's office said it's handling 20 to 30 more child abuse and neglect cases this year compared to last year.

With the numbers rising, the county's prosecuting attorney asked the County Commission to fund a new position.

The Commission agreed to pay for a new attorney who would focus specifically on child abuse and neglect cases.

"From beginning to end, which includes all of the in-court, out of court and extra meetings that go along with those kinds of cases," said Prosecuting Attorney Marcia Ashdown. "It really is something that has become a full-time job."
The new position, with an assistant, will cost the county about $105,000 a year

And according to MONCOCAC.ORG there are over 1000 cases of Child Abuse in Monongalia reported to the advocacy center each year.

What could be the cause of this, Drugs, Prevalence of Meth that has been rampant in this area, parents who don't care? It seems to be a problem not just here, but in all parts of WV and the US.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:48 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,387,809 times
That is not good. At the rate Mon county will be almost as bad as Mercer county in 100 years. Thanks for bringing this up. Could you post the full link please?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 PM

I got a little lazy on the link, was a little too long, but since we both know how to use google, just type in "Monongalia County Child Neglect" or go to Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM

Well it wouldn't let me throw in the other source, I do apologize. But you can also go to mononcac.org. Maybe you can get in touch and see how you can help the little ones

Old 02-04-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
I got a little lazy on the link, was a little too long, but since we both know how to use google, just type in "Monongalia County Child Neglect" or go to Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more.
Check your history. If you need help to check your browser history let me know. I cant find anything.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM

Thanks, you give me browser tips and ill give you style tips, we both win!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks, you give me browser tips and ill give you style tips, we both win!
Sounds like a deal.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,173,648 times
In part, this is due to increasing population and the law of averages. With more people, come more chances for people to offend. It could also be because of increased efforts at the local level to identify and deal with such issues.

I worked in Protective Services for a number of years. The abuse problem exists everywhere, and it really is not related to the income of the abusers. Neglect, on the other hand, tends to be focused more in the lower income communities. The court system in West Virginia used to give lip service to dealing with this, but now they seem to be getting more on top of it. Protective Service personnel need more training in this state, and they need to have more lattitude in doing their jobs. Often decisions are made by people who have no first hand experience with a given situation, and supervisory personnel are often just those who have stuck around longer than anyone else. It is a high stress job with a very high turnover, and the workers themselves work in sometimes dangerous situations for little pay.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 02-04-2013 at 10:45 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM

15,518 posts, read 13,934,193 times
Quote:
<snip>
The Monongalia County prosecutor's office said it's handling 20 to 30 more child abuse and neglect cases this year compared to last year. <snip>

And according to MONCOCAC.ORG there are over 1000 cases of Child Abuse in Monongalia reported to the advocacy center each year. <snip>
Well, the prosecutor says he's handling 20-30 more cases this year. The CAC says there are 1000 reported to THEM each year.

How do the stats look compared to population? Is the number of cases per unit of population up 1.2% or up 12%? Up 20-30 since last year would be a meaningless number if last year was 28000, but would be a huge increase of last year was 114. Is there a table of the counties? My research indicates it is very hard to find objective, comparative crime statistics.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,620,294 times
Shouldn't this be in the Morgantown sub-forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: