Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 03:59 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
To try to bring this topic back on course, perhaps they should figure out how much toll they'd have to charge to build the thing and proceed on that basis.
Both highways will be a toll free road, SWV will not pay tolls again once the WV Turnpike's tolls are removed.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
He doesn't even live in West Virginia. (Coincidentally, that also means he doesn't pay any taxes to West Virginia.) I don't recall the issue of citizenship coming up.
Coincidently, I did mention that said person was a "Alleged WV Citizen," How Ironic,LOL!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:46 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Both highways will be a toll free road, SWV will not pay tolls again once the WV Turnpike's tolls are removed.
Of course the rest of the state pays for the coal companies roads.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Of course the rest of the state pays for the coal companies roads.
No, the Coal companies are footing half the bill for construction of two vital important highways, saving the State and Federal Gov, valuable tax dollars.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
No, the Coal companies are footing half the bill for construction of two vital important highways, saving the State and Federal Gov, valuable tax dollars.
It is their interstate. Other than them there is no need. They are costing the state money. They can foot all the bill. The public doesn't pay for their road.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
It is their interstate. Other than them there is no need. They are costing the state money. They can foot all the bill. The public doesn't pay for their road.
The State, Federal Government, and Coal Companies are footing the bill.

The Coalfields Expressway and King Coal Highway are vital to the Economic Development and Safe Transportation needs of SWV.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
The State, Federal Government, and Coal Companies are footing the bill.

The Coalfields Expressway and King Coal Highway are vital to the Economic Development and Safe Transportation needs of SWV.
There is no economic development. It will only save the coal companies money, but it isnt going to mean any more jobs. Sure a few gas station and fast food jobs might be created, but if you wanted economic development you should have used the money for something else.

A road that does nothing other than letting the coal companies move coal faster is not going to lead to economic development.

The area is a economic wasteland not due to a lack of infrastructure.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
There is no economic development. It will only save the coal companies money, but it isnt going to mean any more jobs. Sure a few gas station and fast food jobs might be created, but if you wanted economic development you should have used the money for something else.

A road that does nothing other than letting the coal companies move coal faster is not going to lead to economic development.

The area is a economic wasteland not due to a lack of infrastructure.
If these roads were built back in 1960s-1990's, our economy would be more diversified and we wouldn't be in this mess. These roads are going to have millions of dollars impacting our economy and region.

Per www.wvkingcoal/com: Partial Economic Impact Statement by Chmura Associates.

The construction and ongoing operations of I-73 will inject hundreds of millions of dollars into the I-73 Corridor and provide jobs for workers in construction, retail, service, and warehouse industries. This study estimates that the construction of I-73 will inject an annual average of $201.6 million in total economic impact (direct plus ripple impacts) into the local economy from 2007 through 2020. The construction will also generate 1,661 jobs each year during this period.
After the completion of I-73, both existing businesses and potential new businesses can benefit from the highway. For existing businesses located in the I-73 Corridor, the interstate can help improve travel efficiency and provide cost savings. These cost savings amount to $23.6 million in 2020 (Table 9.1).
The most immediate new businesses as a result of I-73 are the service businesses clustering around interchanges along I-73. These service businesses will serve motorists on I-73 and local residents. Chmura estimates that a total of 87 service businesses can be supported by I-73 in 2020. These service businesses can generate an economic impact of $172.4 million and create 1,765 jobs in the I-73 corridor.
It is likely that I-73 development can support distribution centers in the corridor. The total economic impact of one average distribution center is estimated to be $24.3 million and 254 jobs in 2020.
I-73 will benefit mining, manufacturing, and agricultural businesses in the I-73 Corridor by providing easier access to markets. The presence of an interstate highway can increase the appeal of the region to expanding and relocating firms. I-73 will also contribute to the stability of the existing manufacturing base, allowing for higher levels of employment retention in addition to making the region more attractive to manufacturers seeking interstate locations, due to the efficiencies derived from such locations. I-73 will also have a positive effect on population and tourism growth in the region.
State and local governments of the region are expected to reap considerable fiscal benefits from this project. When the project is complete, it is estimated that state government will receive $12.0 million in 2020 in sales tax and corporate and individual income tax on an annual basis. The local governments in the I-73 corridor will receive annual tax benefits totaling $0.4 million in 2020 in the form of local business and occupation taxes.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM

Sorry for the link it's www.wvkingcoal.com, Anybody can view the whole Economic Impact Statement if you like. This is just for the King Coal Highway, not the CFX.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
If these roads were built back in 1960s-1990's, our economy would be more diversified and we wouldn't be in this mess. These roads are going to have millions of dollars impacting our economy and region.

Per www.wvkingcoal/com: Partial Economic Impact Statement by Chmura Associates.

The construction and ongoing operations of I-73 will inject hundreds of millions of dollars into the I-73 Corridor and provide jobs for workers in construction, retail, service, and warehouse industries. This study estimates that the construction of I-73 will inject an annual average of $201.6 million in total economic impact (direct plus ripple impacts) into the local economy from 2007 through 2020. The construction will also generate 1,661 jobs each year during this period.
After the completion of I-73, both existing businesses and potential new businesses can benefit from the highway. For existing businesses located in the I-73 Corridor, the interstate can help improve travel efficiency and provide cost savings. These cost savings amount to $23.6 million in 2020 (Table 9.1).
The most immediate new businesses as a result of I-73 are the service businesses clustering around interchanges along I-73. These service businesses will serve motorists on I-73 and local residents. Chmura estimates that a total of 87 service businesses can be supported by I-73 in 2020. These service businesses can generate an economic impact of $172.4 million and create 1,765 jobs in the I-73 corridor.
It is likely that I-73 development can support distribution centers in the corridor. The total economic impact of one average distribution center is estimated to be $24.3 million and 254 jobs in 2020.
I-73 will benefit mining, manufacturing, and agricultural businesses in the I-73 Corridor by providing easier access to markets. The presence of an interstate highway can increase the appeal of the region to expanding and relocating firms. I-73 will also contribute to the stability of the existing manufacturing base, allowing for higher levels of employment retention in addition to making the region more attractive to manufacturers seeking interstate locations, due to the efficiencies derived from such locations. I-73 will also have a positive effect on population and tourism growth in the region.
State and local governments of the region are expected to reap considerable fiscal benefits from this project. When the project is complete, it is estimated that state government will receive $12.0 million in 2020 in sales tax and corporate and individual income tax on an annual basis. The local governments in the I-73 corridor will receive annual tax benefits totaling $0.4 million in 2020 in the form of local business and occupation taxes.
In the 50s and 60s all you had was coal. Had you invest that revenue in human capital maybe things would have been different. However, Charleston looked after the interest of the coal companies.

Now, your opportunity was wasted. It is sad. You were exploited by Charleston and the coal companies.

Now there is nothing, and there will never be anything there. The coal companies want to get done looting your region and then it will be destroyed completely.

I am sorry for your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia