Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 AM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
No. It is not needed. It is a huge scam to benefit coal companies. It won't help your area other than a few minimum wage service jobs. The road is infamous nationwide for not being needed. You just want a pork handout.

Let the coal companies pay for their own road. It is for their benefit they should pay to build and maintain it. If the few residents who still live in this part of WV want it they can pitch in with the coal companies.
CFX will provide the crucial link for these economic distressed counties to help open them up for investment and provide vital safe transportation for the residents of all 6 counties with a combined population of 210,387(Raleigh,Wyoming, McDowell, Buchanan, Dickenson, Wise(including Norton-independent city enclaved in Wise) Counties)

The coal companies are doing WV and Va a favor by saving taxpayer dollars for a important project. This is the perfect example of Synergy, this is a win-win for all involved.

THE COALFIELDS EXPRESSWAY AND KING COAL HIGHWAY ARE VITAL TO THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND SAFE TRANSPORTATION NEEDS OF SWV AND SW VA.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
CFX will provide the crucial link for these economic distressed counties to help open them up for investment and provide vital safe transportation for the residents of all 6 counties with a combined population of 210,387(Raleigh,Wyoming, McDowell, Buchanan, Dickenson, Wise(including Norton-independent city enclaved in Wise) Counties)

The coal companies are doing WV and Va a favor by saving taxpayer dollars for a important project. This is the perfect example of Synergy, this is a win-win for all involved. There is also few people over a big area.

THE COALFIELDS EXPRESSWAY AND KING COAL HIGHWAY ARE VITAL TO THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND SAFE TRANSPORTATION NEEDS OF SWV AND SW VA.
Them making the state build a stupid highway that only benefits them is not saving taxpayer money. It is not synergy. It is corruption. They want a highway to make it easier to strip mine and move coal to save them money. They don't want to pay it for it and control Charleston and are making the taxpayers build them a road.

There is no economic activity on that area of WV and barring a miracle there will never be.

TALKING IN CAPS WONT CHANGE THIS.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:

The coal companies are doing WV and Va a favor by saving taxpayer dollars for a important project. This is the perfect example of Synergy, this is a win-win for all involved.

Somebody keeps talking about scams, but offers not a shred of evidence. The truth is that a lot of people with no connection to WV politics looked at this project and decided it was a good idea, or it would not have been funded by the feds. I've been on Rt. 52 going from Welch to Bluefield behind an overloaded coal truck. It created a major slowdown on my travel. It will be a huge boost to have a four lane road.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Them making the state build a stupid highway that only benefits them is not saving taxpayer money. It is not synergy. It is corruption. They want a highway to make it easier to strip mine and move coal to save them money. They don't want to pay it for it and control Charleston and are making the taxpayers build them a road.

There is no economic activity on that area of WV and barring a miracle there will never be.

TALKING IN CAPS WONT CHANGE THIS.

The coal companies aren't forcing anyone to build this highway, these Highways have been planned for for than 20 years by the State of WV and the USTA. If the coal companies wanted this coal so bad this highway would have been built by now.

Your shortsightedness and regionalism will never work for the prosperity of WV.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Somebody keeps talking about scams, but offers not a shred of evidence. The truth is that a lot of people with no connection to WV politics looked at this project and decided it was a good idea, or it would not have been funded by the feds. I've been on Rt. 52 going from Welch to Bluefield behind an overloaded coal truck. It created a major slowdown on my travel. It will be a huge boost to have a four lane road.
Exactly Mensa, the Federal Goverment established the Route of I-73/74 thruout WV, these highways were Federally Mandated and decided by Congress. This is larger than the State of WV, but yet some just decry it as a State Scam.

Per King Coal Info:

United States Congress designated Interstate 73/74 (I-73/74) as a corridor of national significance, connecting the Great Lakes with the Carolinas’ coast. In West Virginia, I-73 traverses the southern part of the state through Mercer, McDowell, Wyoming, Mingo, and Wayne Counties. This study, produced by Chmura Economics & Analytics,1 evaluates the economic impact of the proposed I-73 on the surrounding localities (I-73 Corridor region) in West Virginia.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The coal companies aren't forcing anyone to build this highway, these Highways have been planned for for than 20 years by the State of WV and the USTA. If the coal companies wanted this coal so bad this highway would have been built by now.

Your shortsightedness and regionalism will never work for the prosperity of WV.
For 20 years the coal companies wanted this. They just had to get it at the federal level. They have now succeeded. Enjoy the destruction of SWV at taxpayer expense.

State can't afford the highway they had to wait for a payoff from the federal govt which they don't directly control.

They also had to wait for the economy of Morgantown to grow enough to fund this. Your area of the state doesn't generate enough revenue.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:45 PM

Per King Coal Highway Impact Statement:

In 1991, the U.S. Congress identified the need for a north-south corridor from northern Michigan to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. This highway was designated Interstate 73 (I-73). I-73 will passes through South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, and Michigan. In West Virginia, I-73 will travel near the southern border of the state with two broad segments. The southern portion, from the vicinity of Bluefield near the West Virginia/Virginia border to the vicinity of Williamson, West Virginia, is also named King Coal Highway. The northern portion of I-73, from the vicinity of Williamson to the vicinity of Huntington, West Virginia near the West Virginia/Ohio border, is also named Tolsia Highway. This route will widen the current route US 52 from two lanes to four lanes with controlled access.

Now I'm not trying to get off point with King Coal and CFX, they are separate highways, but this has been in the works a long time, both Highways. This was established 22 years ago, it was a good idea then and it is now. Sections of I-73/74 have already been completed in North and South Carolina.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Exactly Mensa, the Federal Goverment established the Route of I-73/74 thruout WV, these highways were Federally Mandated and decided by Congress. This is larger than the State of WV, but yet some just decry it as a State Scam.

Per King Coal Info:

United States Congress designated Interstate 73/74 (I-73/74) as a corridor of national significance, connecting the Great Lakes with the Carolinas’ coast. In West Virginia, I-73 traverses the southern part of the state through Mercer, McDowell, Wyoming, Mingo, and Wayne Counties. This study, produced by Chmura Economics & Analytics,1 evaluates the economic impact of the proposed I-73 on the surrounding localities (I-73 Corridor region) in West Virginia.
The coal companies have been working on this decades. They control WV but can only influence the federal government.

The reason your area is the 3rd world of the US is not from a lack of highway. You had a chance to developed with coal but Charleston let all the money go out of state. Now you have almost nothing. With this highway they can take the last of your coal and leave you with a mess. The only industry you will have is garbage dumps and pollution storage.

We need to save SWV from this fate. Your region deserves better.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
For 20 years the coal companies wanted this. They just had to get it at the federal level. They have now succeeded. Enjoy the destruction of SWV at taxpayer expense.

State can't afford the highway they had to wait for a payoff from the federal govt which they don't directly control.

They also had to wait for the economy of Morgantown to grow enough to fund this. Your area of the state doesn't generate enough revenue.
That has to be worst statement you have ever posted during your time on City Data. Morgantown's economy doesn't have a thing to do with funding these Highways. The coal, oil, gas, and timber extracted from SWV over the past 100 years has funded this state in Coal Severance taxes,created industry, and helped fund WVU as State Land Grant Institution. Morgantown is not the financial hub that keeps this state moving.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
That has to be worst statement you have ever posted during your time on City Data. Morgantown's economy doesn't have a thing to do with funding these Highways. The coal, oil, gas, and timber extracted from SWV over the past 100 years has funded this state in Coal Severance taxes,created industry, and helped fund WVU as State Land Grant Institution. Morgantown is not the financial hub that keeps this state moving.
If the money stayed in state that would be true but it didn't. SWV funded nothing for that reason. You were exploited plain and simple. You are still being exploited with this interstate.

The only areas contributing to the state and not taking are northern WV and EP.

However, that is irrelevant to this pork handout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia