Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
coal will always be the cheapest enery source and we have a lot of it. it's silly not to use it and power companies can limit the sulfur dioxide or whatever the byproduct it is with scrubbers now.
Natural gas is cheaper now and will be for the foreseeable future, and every coal power plant that can convert to natural gas is doing so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I read a related thread about party splitting in the state that showcased the somewhat peculiar nature of West Virginia Democrats

//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...et-voting.html

Do you think Hillary Clinton could win the state in the 2016 Presidential election if she ran? I know she crushed Obama in the 2008 primary, but would she be able to win the state, does she appeal to West Virginia-style Democrats?

I am very curious about this because in the thread I linked there were no negative comments about Hillary but lots of hatred for Obama. Are the 2 really perceived differently and I was wondering if Hillary lost popularity in the state from being part of Obama's cabinet.
I imagine she'd crush her competition... Probably getting 60% of the vote. She and Bill are very well liked in WV.

BTW... Hate to burst some your bubbles but Dems are going to be running the show for a while. America is progressing and moving forward while it seems a small group of the electorate are freaking out and reverting back to the pioneer days when it comes to their ideology. So until the Republican party gets their heads out of their @ss and get into fiscal policy and stop the kickbacks of corporation and banking corruption and drop the obsession with social issues. They're doomed....

Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 PM

596 posts, read 937,683 times
natural gas costs tend to cycle up and down, so it can go from being inexpensive to expensive. utilities found that out the hard way in the past. Coal is always the best option.

I can't see Hillary being popular in West Virginia. she comes across as a screeching feminist and now she will have to defend her lack of action in Libya.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
If Hillary doesn't win the state (if she runs) it won't be because of anything she does. It will be because of things the party does.

Since it appears that gun control is all but dead, she won't be hurt there.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 PM

democrats support of abortion, gun bans, gay marriage, and opposition to oil, coal, etc should mean Democrats lose WV everytime. some democrats at the state level have been successful at faking conservative on social issues to win elections there but i think so far WV is a pretty easy win for Republicans at he presidential level. If Obama couldn't win it, i can't see HIllary winning it.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Pro-fracking? West Virginia doesn't mind the environmental damage that comes from fracking?
You've been reading far too much left wing propoganda.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 AM

552 posts, read 738,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I imagine she'd crush her competition... Probably getting 60% of the vote. She and Bill are very well liked in WV.

BTW... Hate to burst some your bubbles but Dems are going to be running the show for a while. America is progressing and moving forward while it seems a small group of the electorate are freaking out and reverting back to the pioneer days when it comes to their ideology. So until the Republican party gets their heads out of their @ss and get into fiscal policy and stop the kickbacks of corporation and banking corruption and drop the obsession with social issues. They're doomed....
Out of all the posts I agree with yours the most. WV is becoming "redder", but the Clintons are popular here and there is no doubt that Bill will be out on the campaign trail. WV likes blue collar type politicians and the Clintons have done well winning them over. I think Christie would be popular here as well. Rubio probably wouldn't win based on his race unfortunately. It should be an interesting election cycle and depends a lot on whether the economy continues to progress or stalls.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
natural gas costs tend to cycle up and down, so it can go from being inexpensive to expensive. utilities found that out the hard way in the past. Coal is always the best option.

I can't see Hillary being popular in West Virginia. she comes across as a screeching feminist and now she will have to defend her lack of action in Libya.
The only people talking about Libya are a few RWNJs in the Senate. Everybody else let that incident slide into the past, just like the did with about a dozen embassy attacks during the Bush administration.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
democrats support of abortion, gun bans, gay marriage, and opposition to oil, coal, etc should mean Democrats lose WV everytime. some democrats at the state level have been successful at faking conservative on social issues to win elections there but i think so far WV is a pretty easy win for Republicans at he presidential level. If Obama couldn't win it, i can't see HIllary winning it.
Let me correct a few things for you. Nobody is in favor of abortion. Some people support the right of a woman to choose that option for herself.

There is no plan, nor has there ever been one, to ban guns. Get over it.

BTW, the 2008 Democratic Primary results were: Hillary Clinton 67%, Barack Obama 25.7%.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Natural gas is cheaper now and will be for the foreseeable future, and every coal power plant that can convert to natural gas is doing so...
i don't think this is true but it if is it is b/c of obama's hositility to coal, not the cost issue. coal isn't expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia