Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

We're thinking of moving to the West, West Virginia area...can anyone give me the good, the bad and the ugly about West Virginia?

We live in the desert. We're sick of sand and ugly brown...we wanna live in God's country! Here we have Mojave Greens (breed of rattlesnake, very poisonous...right up there with the coral snake), scorpions and coyotes. We live with 120+ degree days for at least two months ever summer.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what we would be in for...critter, weather and???? wise compared to what we're used to here.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 12:10 AM

13,929 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Critter...rattlers...bears...mountain lions..timber wolves...oh my These are just the 2 legged kind!!!!

Now all kidding aside we do have all this or did until the housing boom. Do you want city or country?

Cold winters with icy rain...sleet...snow different areas get different amounts [I think do to the Mountains] oh so it is not a flat state! Worse heat wave 100 about 10 years ago...we came close a few times this year but did not break the record...but boy it is humid.

Hope this helps......

Old 10-22-2007, 04:07 AM

306 posts, read 1,243,400 times
there are alot of great posts in WV section that tells u alot about differ areas..It is very informative mite help u narrow down a certain area then we can bounce off that..Overall the Ugly is that u come prepared for the JOB market..The economic growth is one of the worst for a state......

So u weigh your pros and cons and see if ya can survive it..........It's def. not for the weak minded..It will take research preplanning and MONEY to make a new start here..

Old 10-22-2007, 04:18 AM

I appreciate the input!

We're actually looking for something on a couple of acres close to a decent sized town (maybe around 50,000). We currently own a carpet cleaning business and are undecided whether or not to pursue it when we move or???? Any thoughts there?

I don't mind some snow, but we don't want prolonged FREEZING weather and continuous icy roads. We've lived in the desert for 20 years and, realistically speaking, the freezing cold weather would probably do us in.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:55 AM

Critters u can keep yours..i love ours........bear, deer, chipmunks, turkeys, snakes (i've only seen black ones but i know they are here), squirrels, coons, possum these are just the ones i've seen as road kill well except the bear...no really i don't see THAT much road kill..they yank them off the road and serve them up in Marlinton roadkill fest..LOL.

It will be different from what ya'll are used to..overall the weather is gorgeous..we have not seen the bad winters i have heard so much about..we are in southern WV..right now yes we are having a HEAT and dry wave.........We had ice and snow for me it was driveable if ya don't go off the beaten path.(ME i like the challenge at least once)..
I felt safer with a 4 wheel drive here than i did with my other vehicle..I know i can get out of alot of messy muddy spots.........That was one of the first things i encountered being here..(yepper turned off a road and got stuck..my own stupidity...)

U can survive here thru anything if u are open minded and prepared...For self business do your research for that section..That is almost like a toss up on who survives....If u got the drive and desire u can make it happen even in a coal town.........
Overall we are happy with our decision on moving here..It just takes work and drive..
wish u all the best..come on over for a visit..welcome...........

Old 10-22-2007, 05:06 AM

When you was referring to the snakes you said "i've only seen black ones but i know they are here"...what exactly does that mean? I'm assuming that means there are other more dangerous snakes (like coral snakes)? Or????? What exactly are the "black ones"? I can handle the ones that walk, but the slithering ones I need more info on. My hubby will FREAK! hmmmmm that could be fun!

Thanks for the info and the warm welcome!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:20 AM

Shoot snakes that WALK??????HOLY COW..........here is a website from Marshal Univ..with some pictures......oh geez now i am cringing..
Sorry, the Marshall University webpage that you were looking for cannot be found.
if that doesn't come up just google snakes in West Va..(well shoot it didn't come up)just google

Now the only place i have seen snakes in motion are in the woods..the woods u go prepared if you are out hiking and scouting around......God i don't want to see ANYTHING that WALKS and not slither..

Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
I think you would be more comfortable in North Carolina, South Carolina or Georgia.
more sand...hotter weather...Do we have a city with 50,000 people? Morgantown, Charleston/Huntington ??? We have counties with muh less population than that.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:21 AM

Now DK u stop that..that would make it too easy...........ROFL.........LOL...She mite want NEW and WILD adventure.........and on the View and and and ... we beat the heck out of those other states........LOL (ya'll are stuck with me now)

Old 10-22-2007, 06:30 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
This lady is from an area of California next to 'Death Valley' West Virginiawould be a real shock.
And I think she's just strokin' ya'...as for u...T...you're here...We're not letting you go..
If West Virginia can be examplified on this blog...its done with you...and everyone will agree on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia