U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,780,811 times

Advertisements

University of Wisconsin researchers have again determined that Mon County is the state's healthiest.

Monongalia W.Va.'s healthiest, McDowell its least healthy* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

Rankings | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps

Rankings | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 AM

708 posts, read 1,065,746 times
And McDowell comes in last... I love how they add Social and Economic Factors, Physical environment to their calculations. How does this correspond with obesity rates thruout the state? I bet the same people who came up with this formula also came up changing the MSA formula as well. Just Medical Bureaucrats mixing up figures once again.

The overall Health Outcomes summary score is a weighted composite of Mortality (50%) and Morbidity (50%). The overall Health Factors summary score is a weighted composite of four components: Health behaviors (30%), Clinical care (20%), Social and economic factors (40%), and Physical environment (10%). Note that the component weights add to 100%.

We would like to emphasize that there is no one "correct" formula or "true" set of weights that perfectly represents the health of a community. Indeed, even a very good system by today's standards might not perform well over long periods of time or under all possible circumstances. County Health Rankings staff have used information from a wide variety of sources--scientific research, available data, expert opinion, statistical analysis--to arrive at a set of easy to understand weights that reasonably reflect the different components and determinants of health. Of course, they are not perfect, but we stand by them as reasonable estimates supported by the best available evidence balanced with the availability of health data and interpretability.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:57 AM

941 posts, read 1,236,673 times
Read about this the other day. I can certainly believe it. When I was in MoTown for my research program fitness was in the air. I even had a complementary trainer at the WVU Rec Center. Fun times.

It's funny. I read an article saying that here in Huntington we have more pizza places than the entire state has fitness centers and gyms combined. Now that sounds worse than it is but it's still bad.

That is one thing I can certainly agree that you have over the rest of the state. Hopefully, you inspire the other.

Keep it up

Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 AM

We have outstanding resources here in Morgantown for health and fitness. Our ever expanding network of hiking and biking trails is gradually connecting to the northeast grid, and the general attitude promotes healthy living. It does seem to be catching on elsewhere to a degree. I do read more stories about other towns in the state adopting walking trails and the like. Thing is, just building them is not enough. They have to change the mindset and get people to use them. They are very busy here.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,164,904 times
No real surprise.

The people in Mon might not be holla fabulous but they are fit and healthy.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,532,697 times
Quote:
The five healthiest counties are in the northern and eastern parts of the state: Monongalia, Pendleton, Doddridge, Jefferson and Hampshire. The five unhealthiest counties are in coalfield counties in Southern West Virginia: McDowell, Wyoming, Mingo, Logan and Boone.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 PM

708 posts, read 1,065,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
How can Doddridge and Pendleton Counties be the top 5 Healthiest when they have obesity rates over 30% and no major medical facilities? Hampshire is a fraction under 30%, once again skewed logic as to their method of putting these facts together.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,164,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
How can Doddridge and Pendleton Counties be the top 5 Healthiest when they have obesity rates over 30% and no major medical facilities? Hampshire is a fraction under 30%, once again skewed logic as to their method of putting these facts together.
Because the rest of the state is much worse.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 AM

1,946 posts, read 3,756,738 times
I see that Putnam came in 9th place. Which is surprising, because the running/biking trail infrastructure in the county still needs a lot of work. In fact i miss the city park system that Saint Albans had. However, there is definitely more emphasis on health in Putnam than there is in Kanawha due to the number of gyms/fitness clubs per capita. But there is still much room for improvement, that's for sure.

I just signed my son up for the sports package at the Quantum Soccer Complex. They offer a ton of year round sports for kids of all ages. Quantum has made a huge impact in the development of kids athletics in the Hurricane/ Winfield school system.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:45 AM

Putnam scores better because of the attitudes of the people living there. Having facilities is only part of the equation. Having folks want to participate is the rest of it, and Putnam has more of those. My impression is the educational level, in general, is higher in Putnam than in surrounding counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia